• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

As close to "Barn Find" I've come...

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
You find another like that keep me in mind if you can't keep it. More than happy to pay a finders fee especially for one that nice!

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
GREAT FIND & COLOR ....... CONGRATS !

IF it was a Sep 1970 I would offer you stupid money for it !

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
/attempts to Red Rover himself into line front of Teal68
;D

But 75Denver, I'm looking too!

He's got a nice 69 you might want to ask him about. Might be a bit out of budget, but has a lot going on in a good way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the fact that more people can see how these were commonly set up back when they were new is cool too. Three gas tanks, rifle racks, CB full whip antenna, and probably even other stuff for camping, shooting, rock-hounding and just basic adventuring.

Great color (very common around here back then), Sport trim and all.
Is it an early '71 with Dana 30? What month was it built and does it still have the door pillar decal?
Curious to see more detailed under-hood pics too. There were some very minor tweaks here and there between '70 and '71, and it's great to be able to document any and all original stuff while we can.

Paul

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

GREAT FIND & COLOR ....... CONGRATS !

IF it was a Sep 1970 I would offer you stupid money for it !

So close to taking stupid money!!! No but really, after building that relationship with the gentleman, I'm not letting this one go. It was built in 11/70....I need to refresh my mind but I take it 09/70 was the first month for the D44? Or is that a birth month?

I think the fact that more people can see how these were commonly set up back when they were new is cool too. Three gas tanks, rifle racks, CB full whip antenna, and probably even other stuff for camping, shooting, rock-hounding and just basic adventuring.

Great color (very common around here back then), Sport trim and all.
Is it an early '71 with Dana 30? What month was it built and does it still have the door pillar decal?
Curious to see more detailed under-hood pics too. There were some very minor tweaks here and there between '70 and '71, and it's great to be able to document any and all original stuff while we can.

Paul

The GLK was the first thing I looked for on the door sticker. It's a basic U150 with 3.50 open gears. Complete opposite to the Patina Cordova:(. What I loved best about our encounter were all the stories. He was an ex-airforce Vietnam vet that discovered what NV/CA had to offer from the air. He'd go back home, pull out a map and pick his way through the mountains until he found what he saw from the sky. His family would pack up, pull a utility trailer full of camping gear and while the parents slept in the tent, his three boys would roll out a foam mat and sleep in the back of the Bronco (without the rear seat). Between hunting deer, birds, and exploring the backcountry of the Sierras, this Bronco went far thanks in part to the 3rd tank and an extra 10gal Jerry Cans. I'll check for the pillar decal...that the diamond shaped one from back in the day? I'll also have pics of the engine coming soon.

Cool find for sure! Good luck with it! You mentioned some SCOUTS!

Yes, one nearly identical stock Scout 80 and FJ40 that I was going to go back and knock on doors. Maybe I can shake hands on a deal with one of those;D. The Scout II's all looked to be daily drivers.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
, I'm not letting this one go. It was built in 11/70....I need to refresh my mind but I take it 09/70 was the first month for the D44? Or is that a birth month?

I fancy the GLK11xxx & GLY059xx ...its a personal thing ! ;)

yours is GLK5 .... end of November !

GL

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Wow, very cool find! I drive around the valleys near Reno every once in a while hoping to find something like this. I rarely seem to find them. Two in one month is awesome. My '67 still needs to be rebuilt, but I am always looking for a good deal. Glad you got to know the owners and can carry on the history of that bronco. When I finally finish rebuilding mine ,:-[ I am going to take it back to the guy I bought it from so he can see it again. He was pretty emotional when I towed it away from his barn, his wife and him were so sweet when they were talking about the family history wrapped up in it. I found it in a barn in Washoe Valley. Congrats on your finds!

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Wow, very cool find! I drive around the valleys near Reno every once in a while hoping to find something like this. I rarely seem to find them. Two in one month is awesome. My '67 still needs to be rebuilt, but I am always looking for a good deal. Glad you got to know the owners and can carry on the history of that bronco. When I finally finish rebuilding mine ,:-[ I am going to take it back to the guy I bought it from so he can see it again. He was pretty emotional when I towed it away from his barn, his wife and him were so sweet when they were talking about the family history wrapped up in it. I found it in a barn in Washoe Valley. Congrats on your finds!

Hey hsach, we need to meet up and talk cars! I've been meaning to reach out to you after reading your barn find thread. Yeah, this was luck. I've been searching dry for the past 2yrs and all my "stashed finds" have all been picked and gone. Don't even see them on the streets.

The one condition the owner said after shaking on the deal was, "Whatever you do with it, just don't bring it back here. I don't want to see it." After being harassed by dozens of guys and especially by one gentleman that lived nearby, he decided he wouldn't sell it to anyone who he'd possibly see driving it. I can completely I understand the attachment. That's the case with all my past Broncos. Anymore, I just want to see more on our local roads.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Hey hsach, we need to meet up and talk cars! I've been meaning to reach out to you after reading your barn find thread. Yeah, this was luck. I've been searching dry for the past 2yrs and all my "stashed finds" have all been picked and gone. Don't even see them on the streets.

The one condition the owner said after shaking on the deal was, "Whatever you do with it, just don't bring it back here. I don't want to see it." After being harassed by dozens of guys and especially by one gentleman that lived nearby, he decided he wouldn't sell it to anyone who he'd possibly see driving it. I can completely I understand the attachment. That's the case with all my past Broncos. Anymore, I just want to see more on our local roads.

I would love to meet up sometime, I have read a few of your threads but for some reason I just realized you were in the Reno area. Not sure how I missed that before. It is crazy that we don't see more on the road around here since it is such a huge 4x4 playground, I see a lot of old Land Cruisers, but rarely an old bronco. I keep hoping that I will see more at Hot August Nights also.

Just read your other find thread, good luck with the sale. I bet it goes fast around here.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I've been messing around with this off and on over the past week just getting to know it. There's a lot of detail maintenance required given the age of the rubber, plastics, and overall state. I've gotta say, I'm really digging this Bronco! I have some concerns: how far is too far?

Since it hasn't changed in the past 46yrs, is changing things like PS, PDB, and lift too far? Or is keeping to the bone stock theme more appropriate given its past and current condition?

Lastly, when cleaning up the paint, should I leave things like the oxidation/build-up or does that take away from the original patina?

This one is far from the Patina Cordova but with proper attention to detail, would look real close to new if I tried hard.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 109

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I've been messing around with this off and on over the past week just getting to know it. There's a lot of detail maintenance required given the age of the rubber, plastics, and overall state. I've gotta say, I'm really digging this Bronco! I have some concerns: how far is too far?

Since it hasn't changed in the past 46yrs, is changing things like PS, PDB, and lift too far? Or is keeping to the bone stock theme more appropriate given its past and current condition?

Lastly, when cleaning up the paint, should I leave things like the oxidation/build-up or does that take away from the original patina?

This one is far from the Patina Cordova but with proper attention to detail, would look real close to new if I tried hard.

My personal take would be to clean up the original paint as much as possible. Oxidation is different than surface rust patina. As far as mechanical, PS, PDB, and lift can all be changed back and if it improves the ride/safety of the vehicle you will be more likely to drive it. So swap the parts out and keep the originals, they can always be put back on down the road.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
As close to "Barn Find" I've come...

That's a nice original. I would keep it stock looking. Clean up the paint and it could look almost new. Fix what needs fixing and drive it awhile.

Disc brakes and power steering would be good additions if it's going to be a driver. Like fatboy said, keep the original parts. Odds are they they will never be put back on but you still retain value by having them with the vehicle.

Almost anything you do, which does not disturb original paint or metal, can be undone. I don't even drill holes in mine. When you start reaching for a sawzall, drill, torch, grinder, etc... it's time to slow down and think about what you are doing.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I thought the same regarding everything I put on could eventually be reverted back to original. As long as I use Ford parts, I should be fine. My one concern would be the steering shaft and having to cut/weld a u-joint. Thoughts? Can I swap out an entirely new shaft ('73+) to avoid hacking up the original?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I thought the same regarding everything I put on could eventually be reverted back to original. As long as I use Ford parts, I should be fine. My one concern would be the steering shaft and having to cut/weld a u-joint. Thoughts? Can I swap out an entirely new shaft ('73+) to avoid hacking up the original?

Stock power column can be swapped out for the manual one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I'll search through forum posts but has anyone swapped the manual for power steering shafts? Do the bearings and races interchange (I would expect so). Anyway, I haven't gotten under the hood or rig for that matter other than making a laundry list of supplies. When I drove it around the block it seems as if something was dragging or causing resistance through a gear source...I don't know how better to explain the sound and feel. The more I gassed it the louder the whining sound was and the more resistance or reverse pull there was. Maybe that coupled with bad gas, a poorly dialed carb, and grease/oil that's been sitting for years (?) has played its toll. In the meantime, I had to get after the oxidation with some hand polishing and heres what's come of about.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg