• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are you seeing more non trail Broncos too?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've noticed less Broncos on the trail in the last couple years. Back in the day on the Dusy trail, you would always see a few. Now I'm just seeing modified wranglers and tube framed crawlers.
It this a sign of the times? Has the value of good clean Broncos made them into garage queens.
Personally, ours has been a great ride for fishing and hunting. It's done well in large boulders and creek beds. However, it could be replaced on the trail with something worth far less. I'd even consider a trail Bronco, but even the rust buckets are selling for way too much for that.
I'm thinking of going back to an open differential and some nice LT all season tires. It's most likely going to see dirt roads at the worst from now on.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Late model Jeeps, exo-caged Toyota trucks, and purpose built tube framed rock buggies are the order of the day now. There are fewer broncos for sure unless you hit the trail on a day when there's an organized bronco run happening.

It is probably partially related to current market values of EBs but it is also because the aftermarket support for late model vehicles is so much greater than what we have for Broncos. Don't get me wrong, we have some good vendors supporting our hobby... but nothing anywhere near the support for say a TJ or JK.

Later jeeps with linked-coil suspensions all around, low transfer case gearing, lockers, and some creature comforts all straight out of the box makes the argument for starting with 40 year old technology a difficult sell, especially to "kids" who grew up in modern cars.

I like my Bronco and it gives me something to tinker with. I like driving it and love wheeling it. I like that nobody on my block has one (can't say that for Jeeps).

Bucky66

If have to agree. I use to wheel in north Georgia and decided to do a frame off with building a crawler. With making things nice and throwing a big wad of money at the truck kinda makes me cringe to think about leaning up on some rocks and trees these days. It might see a light trail or something but now just pounds the roads. And yes the market value has me not wanting to beat it up.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
15 years ago when i bought my first early bronco they were everywhere. I haven't seen one driving anywhere on or off road in quite some time. i haven't seen an fj40 land cruiser in a while either or even a scout for that matter.

the young ones really don't care too much for driving old trucks. don't get me wrong i can't drive my EB anywhere without one stopping me to look at it or giving a thumbs up but they are always driving a modern truck with a lift kit.

they have gotten really expensive too. not that they were ever cheap compared to a CJ.

Mercedes did an amazing job engineering the new jeeps. I see them everywhere on and off road now.

its a combination of these things and a few others.

Bonco4Broncos

Loc.
Rockingham, NC
The only Broncos I have seen in Richmond County NC in the last 15 years are a couple of guys who pass thru from the Charleston area of SC on there way back and forth to Uwharrie. I have heard of a few parked in barns around lately but have not been able to locate them yet. This rusty ol 73 I am messing with would take a terrible bit of work and lots of cash to make it into anything but a trail rig so as it stands right now that is what I plan to do with it. I have never been a collector and if its to nice to use It does not belong to me.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I picked up another EB a couple years ago intending to build a crawler. I used to wheel a full size truggy and liked being the odd rig on the trails.

My crawler will be trail-able this year hopefully, but I will be one of the few on the trails. Jeeps and toyotas are cheap, small, light and easy to build. For those reasons they will be what is most common on the trails.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am going to be a little contrary to the trend here and say the opposite. Last time I was out I saw dozens of Heeps on the highway. I see dozens of them coming and going from the neighborhood all day long. But as soon as I hit the dirt, no Heeps.Never seen a new Heep off road. In fact the only other vehicle I saw was a trail-ready older Cherokee and the usual assortment of ranch pick ups. Seems like only older vehicle hit the dirt. As to Broncos, I don't see those much, period.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id say ditto to that its rare I ever meet another bronco when out wheeling wether it was 20-30 years ago or today. About 9 years ago was the last time I remember running into another during a hunting trip in some rugged country. Of course as people have started pouring money into them to get them nice there is even less chance to run into one out in the hills.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Tucson has a lot of EBs, but those of us who own them aren't the 20 yr. old kids that want to prove what their truck can do. I know the Bronco can get me to hunting and fishing spots that most 4x4 pickups can't reach. The mountains have plenty of Forest Service unimproved roads and designated jeep trails. That's what EBs were designed for. Rock crawling is an artificial activity that EBs, Cjs, and FJs weren't designed for. Tube framed porpoise built rock crawlers like the Rockzilla built on a Ford Excursion chases were. Why destroy a historic vehicle by doing something that demands participants to turn an outstanding piece of history into a trailer queen. The idea that rock crawling IS 4wheeling make no sense to me. If you want a rock crawler or swamp buggy, build it from the ground up. All these fads will pass. We had pin heads here that put lifts and tires on F250s that guaranteed they would end up on their sides, back in the '70s and '80s. Those turkeys looked down on lowly EBs. Not now.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
It is probably partially related to current market values of EBs but it is also because the aftermarket support for late model vehicles is so much greater than what we have for Broncos. Don't get me wrong, we have some good vendors supporting our hobby... but nothing anywhere near the support for say a TJ or JK.

Later jeeps with linked-coil suspensions all around, low transfer case gearing, lockers, and some creature comforts all straight out of the box makes the argument for starting with 40 year old technology a difficult sell, especially to "kids" who grew up in modern cars.

I'll second this...

I'd add to it the fact that you can finance a newer rig, which is what a lot of young people do. 15G cash for a Bronco, or easy monthly payments for a used 2007 JK, the JK is a lot easier to make happen.

sriha

Tucson has a lot of EBs, but those of us who own them aren't the 20 yr. old kids that want to prove what their truck can do. I know the Bronco can get me to hunting and fishing spots that most 4x4 pickups can't reach. The mountains have plenty of Forest Service unimproved roads and designated jeep trails. That's what EBs were designed for. Rock crawling is an artificial activity that EBs, Cjs, and FJs weren't designed for. Tube framed porpoise built rock crawlers like the Rockzilla built on a Ford Excursion chases were. Why destroy a historic vehicle by doing something that demands participants to turn an outstanding piece of history into a trailer queen. The idea that rock crawling IS 4wheeling make no sense to me. If you want a rock crawler or swamp buggy, build it from the ground up. All these fads will pass. We had pin heads here that put lifts and tires on F250s that guaranteed they would end up on their sides, back in the '70s and '80s. Those turkeys looked down on lowly EBs. Not now.

I second that statement. If you have a Bronco that is far too gone sheet metal wise then make it what you want but I cringe when someone gets a nice body and then starts cutting and smashing. I guess I more enjoy going down a trail more for scenery than to beat the crap out of my rig. I do test it sometimes but if I see something I know I won't make without damage, I won't even try.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
While I was out running for errands, I decided to count the number of jeeps I saw in my travels. 15 minutes in, I counted 6 jeeps. Old CJ's are becoming as rare as EB's. Someone commented that if it weren't for Jeeps still being produced and the inexpensive after market parts, off road parks would be closed up by now. I believe that statement.

I was in a dilemma with my EB. Excellent condition, no dents or abuse. After so many years of car shows, I got bored. Without the space and resources for a second EB for the trails, off I went on some trail rides with my clubs and club members on other rides. Way too much fun. I feel like it's owning a race horse and never saddling it up and running the beast.

I stick to green trails. Fun for me and the family, but it keeps the possibility of damage to a minimum. Scratches can be buffed, and if it happens, dents can be pulled. But, I do try to avoid putting myself in situations where carnage can occur.

Some folks think I'm nuts for taking my on the trails, and sometimes I do to, but it is so much fun, and again, the car show scene was getting so old.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I think the green trails make sense. You have to use them a little bit.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
What is a green trail? In the dessert, that's an oxymoron. I'm familiar with real trails that go some place. I've also seen so called rock crawling trails in the east that are built by a land owner who has boulders placed on a hilly landscape to have people pay a fee to destroy their own truck. The trails that go somewhere can be negotiated in EBs, CJs or FJs with nothing more than wear on the suspension and drive chain. In fact a competent and prudent driver can get into and out of spectacular places with little more than some surface scratches that can be buffed out.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I see EBs on the trails although significantly less than other vehicle types. FJ40s are also exceedingly rare on the trail as their price increases.

In CA the overwhelming champion of the trail is an '84-88 Toyota Hilux/4Runner. That's simply related to price and production numbers. They are awesome rigs with tons of parts available for them, so it's no wonder why you'd pick that as a good starting vehicle. It's far more capable than a Wrangler or an EB out of the box. My friends and I built one for a bachelor party wheeling run in a week's time. There aren't many other vehicles that can claim that.

I'm rebuilding my EB currently and don't want to turn it into a rock crawler because I don't want to smash up all those new body panels. If you are actually going to go on difficult trails, body damage is a foregone conclusion. I may take the EB on some easier trails once it's finished, but no way am I going to try to rock through the Winch Hills on Fordyce or the Hammers.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think more Bronco owners these days are into the "classic" aspect of it and restoring them rather than making them into trail rigs. I think that is reflected not only in what you see on the trails, but also here in this very group. I've noticed over the years here on classicbroncos.com the conversations being more and more weighted toward resto's and resto-mods, than trail rigs. I guess its inevitable as they move more into classic car status.

Germd

http://[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/Moab%20Broncos%202015/IMG_0440_zpsg0rncphs.jpg.html] [/URL]I was in Moab last week and came across these three. They were decidedly NOT mall crawlers, although the white one was a show rig and held it's own against the Heeps at the Expo.
The hot ginger one had just come in from the trail, and the orange one was wheeling out on the "Devils Revenge" Trail (a level 6-7 for those familiar with Moab). I think a lot depends on what part of the country you're in.
http://[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/Moab%20Broncos%202015/IMG_0490_zpsggjsnyan.jpg.html] [/URL]
http://[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/Moab%20Broncos%202015/IMG_0452_zpskb8yqs5f.jpg.html] [/URL]

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I would have no problem running easier trails. I just don't see the point in beating the crap out of something that you can't replace. Jeeps are all over the place and finding one to build into a trail rig is pretty easy and the support through the aftermarket is off the charts compared to the Bronco. I Love my Bronco too much to kill it! ;D

sriha

What is a green trail? In the dessert, that's an oxymoron. I'm familiar with real trails that go some place. I've also seen so called rock crawling trails in the east that are built by a land owner who has boulders placed on a hilly landscape to have people pay a fee to destroy their own truck. The trails that go somewhere can be negotiated in EBs, CJs or FJs with nothing more than wear on the suspension and drive chain. In fact a competent and prudent driver can get into and out of spectacular places with little more than some surface scratches that can be buffed out.

Green trails probably rate between 1 and 3 or 4. Small rocks, some hills some puddles, no mods needed, just enough ground clearance. Most places in the midwest don't have trails that go anywhere besides forestry roads. Most of the time we trailer our rigs somewhere with a short trail system and camp. They are working on a bigger park and are trying to get a boarder to boarder trail in the northern part of MN though.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I was out running for errands, I decided to count the number of jeeps I saw in my travels. 15 minutes in, I counted 6 jeeps. Old CJ's are becoming as rare as EB's. Someone commented that if it weren't for Jeeps still being produced and the inexpensive after market parts, off road parks would be closed up by now. I believe that statement.

I kinda think the opposite if the jeep/other 4wds hadnt gotten so popular. You wouldnt need offroad parks and public lands wouldnt be closing down.
Of course its not only the jeep craze a lot closeures are also due to all the ATV's.
Back in the day we wheeled to go somewhere. Now with most people all to often its wheel to make it over a few obstacles then head back home.