• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone work on Scouts?

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Someone asked me to put a new motor in their scout. I know they are similar to Broncos. Anything I should know? it's a V8 w/ Auto trans. Common issues?

glass 73

nope pretty straight forward,torque converter bolts, bellhousing bolts ,motormounts , and small stuff ,exhaust starter and what not,.pulled and in about 3hrs, good luck

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Someone asked me to put a new motor in their scout. I know they are similar to Broncos. Anything I should know? it's a V8 w/ Auto trans. Common issues?

I have SCOUT buddy that is on this forum and if you or your buddy have any questions check here. He is all the time telling me how the Scout was the first and last true 4wd ever made. %)

http://www.binderbulletin.org/

Last edited:

L&D's Broncos

Scout Work

Is it an 1800 or Travelall ??
V8 / 345 has interesting firing order.

IH 304 / 345 V8 Firing Order
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (Timed on #8) Or as some prefer, 8-4-3-6-5-7-2-1

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I had a scout,but it had a 289. Shouldn't be difficult. I'd go for it.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I think Bill(bmc69) used to play with Scouts. You may want to pick his brain. You may not like his answers though. Warning: you may need to overnight some Corona to a wee island off the Maryland shore. He ain't cheap but he is smart. Or is it the other way around? ;D

orange02ss

The international motors are very heavy! Make sure your engine lift is up to the task.

Scrapper_MV

The international motors are very heavy! Make sure your engine lift is up to the task.

Every thing on a scout is heavy! Don't let that hood fall on you, it will decapitate you for sure!

I have a buddy with an 800H. I've helped pull the transmission several times. I really like the removable tunnel cover. They are just tractors, very simple and over built.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since its a V8 its obviously a Scout II. Dirt simple although, as previously noted, that is a monstrously heavy engine. The tranny is the 727 Torqueflite mated to a D-20 t-case. Engine in/out exactly the same as any other V8 auto driveline of the period.

There is more room in the Scout II engine bay than there is in an EB engine bay; makes pulling and re-installing easier to deal with.

Aside: The last remains of my many Scouts over many years...a rusty pile of heads, blocks, axles, t-cases, etc, etc went off to the scrappers not two weeks ago. *sniff*