• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone heard of this restoration shop in Columbus?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
You guys kill me.

MANY shops call themselves or are refered to or even classified in the phone book as restoration shops when they really do more custom work than anything else.

I'm sure if someone went to them with cash and wanted a period correct build, they'd do that as well.

The company in question has sold many Broncos in the $40-$75K range, look at their website They've also sold many more higher, so what is the point on the new $100K threshold? Icons cost $175K+ and they are even less original, so I am missing the point here I guess.

Yes, both are cashing in on and helping create the demand for high $ custom Broncos, so what?

Preying on the ignorant? Really? Anyone with any sense and access to Google can see in about 2 seconds that these are not true "factory original" builds. For christ sake, most have EFI, Coyote motors, modern overdrive transmissions, lifts, custom wheels, etc.

Glad to see some of you are so concerend for all these folks with deep pockets who are buying them though. Usually I read other dumb comments like "more money than brains", and other 1%er nonsense that is driven from jealousy. Hell, if I had money falling out of my ass, I'd buy all kinds of cool stuff I did not need. I'd rather see people enjoying it rather than hoarding it for the Government to take a huge chunk of when they die!

I guess all the non original Riddler and other custom award winning vehicles are also half bred mutts that you could also throw together with left over parts as well?

Yet another who can build it twice as nice for half as much and still make it profitable to be worth his time doing. LOL

Some of you are all worked up on the terms, even though the product is obviously custom to anyone with any sense.

On the other hand, I have pointed out numerous times here and on FB when things being sold were purported to be "rare factory options" in order to try to bump up their value, even though they have ZERO documentation to support it, but when I bring it up when I see it, some think I am just being a downer and throwing cold water on someone! LOL In reality, I'm just trying to prevent someone from overpaying for something that is likely not what they are being told it is.

Again, like original restored Broncos, I too love intersting and unique rare options, and have even incorporated quite a few into our builds, but I have paperwork, instalation instructions for the Bronco, etc. to support it.

Sorry Ted, I strayed again! However, the point of that is that it is very clear to anyone who puts in a tiny bit of research that the rigs being discussed are not as they rolled off the assembly line, but yet it seems to get some folks underwear in a bunch. As for the detail I have spent on things like proper head markings on fasteners, those who care or can appreciate it will see it when they look at the Bronco or ask about it. Yet many who are into Broncos never will, but I know it is there and that is what mattered the most.

However, when I have pointed out things that are likely not rare options as they have been described, others get offended as if I just pissed in their cheerios???

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Yep, looks like their prices may have gone up more since I was last on their site a few months ago.

Much like Icon into'd the Bronco at around $120K, then it went to $150K, then $175K and could even be higher now.

These guys have been savy enough to get themselves out there in the media for exposure to people with the means to pay these prices and also to create a demand for their brand. When the demand exceeds the available output of supply, prices go up, basic economics.

http://classicfordbroncos.com/c-1133327-our-builds.html

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Interesting that you lump them with Icon.

Icon does not claim to be a restoration company, never refers to their product as restorations.

None of the articles about Icon call them a restoration shop.

Apples =/= Oranges

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Wow, some of you seem overly fixated with that single term.

I guess we need to petition Discovery Channel to rename "American Restoration" since much of his stuff is customized or deviates from exactly how it was originally made. LOL

If someone is to stupid to not realize that all of the rigs featured on their build page are customized, then they deserved to be dupped.

From their website:

"Classic Ford Broncos' comprehensive restoration process always includes an original, early model body, an expertly refurbished frame, new custom paint, new suspension, new wheels & tires, new bumpers, new wiring harness, Line-X protected tub, new interior, new emblems & trim, new seals, new lights, and new hardware holding it all together.

If we missed something... that's probably new too! It's the closest thing you'll find to a 2015 Ford Bronco!"

And their standard parts and upgrade options even more clearly show what they are putting together.

http://classicfordbroncos.com/p-30233-our-process.html#performance

http://classicfordbroncos.com/p-30233-our-process.html#exterior

http://classicfordbroncos.com/p-30233-our-process.html#interior

Yep, sounds like they are trying to pass of their builds as 100% period correct, as they rolled off the assembly line originals. %)

Sorry, but this repeated whining about the use of the term "restoration" in the article and a few places on their website comes off as really chickenshit IMO.

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Let me explain my original point...

I admit, I'm somewhat of a purist. I like seeing Broncos have what they came with off the assembly line. But I do appreciate a nicely modded Bronco as well, if done in good taste. Just didn't see it with this shop.

I have zero problem with someone making money on a Bronco. In fact, I'll be doing it very soon.

I don't care if you call it restored, resto-modded, or whatever. If it's nicely done, I like it. Same goes with the person doing the work, if you do it well, I respect you.

The issue I do have, is that now we have these big spenders and restorers/restomodders driving the prices through the roof. This will deter the "Good 'Ol Boys" who work blue collar jobs for blue collar pay from having and enjoying these vehicles that we all love. When your average rust bucket becomes $10k, you will see these guys fade away.

These big spenders usually possess the "Mine is better than yours" attitude just because they paid a fortune for it or spent a fortune restoring it. Not pleasant people to be around. Sentimental value, however, is a different story.

Those of you who know me personally know that I'm a pretty young guy. But, I was born into Broncos so to speak. I came home from the hospital to a house with at least 1 Bronco. I miss the days that all your Bronco buddies were just your average people that liked anything from a rusted out parts truck, to a full blown resto. I know these types still exist, in fact this site is full of them. But what is it going to be like in 20 years?

I hope I don't sound like a selfish jerk, but this is my #1 hobby and passion. I just don't like some of the changes I've seen in the last few years. I guess I just have the old school mentality.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Let me explain my original point...

I admit, I'm somewhat of a purist. I like seeing Broncos have what they came with off the assembly line. But I do appreciate a nicely modded Bronco as well, if done in good taste. Just didn't see it with this shop.

I have zero problem with someone making money on a Bronco. In fact, I'll be doing it very soon.

I don't care if you call it restored, resto-modded, or whatever. If it's nicely done, I like it. Same goes with the person doing the work, if you do it well, I respect you.

The issue I do have, is that now we have these big spenders and restorers/restomodders driving the prices through the roof. This will deter the "Good 'Ol Boys" who work blue collar jobs for blue collar pay from having and enjoying these vehicles that we all love. When your average rust bucket becomes $10k, you will see these guys fade away.

These big spenders usually possess the "Mine is better than yours" attitude just because they paid a fortune for it or spent a fortune restoring it. Not pleasant people to be around. Sentimental value, however, is a different story.

Those of you who know me personally know that I'm a pretty young guy. But, I was born into Broncos so to speak. I came home from the hospital to a house with at least 1 Bronco. I miss the days that all your Bronco buddies were just your average people that liked anything from a rusted out parts truck, to a full blown resto. I know these types still exist, in fact this site is full of them. But what is it going to be like in 20 years?

I hope I don't sound like a selfish jerk, but this is my #1 hobby and passion. I just don't like some of the changes I've seen in the last few years. I guess I just have the old school mentality.
I know what you're saying Jimmy, but the days of good $500 parts Broncos and $1,500 complete ones worth building have been long gone for a while.

I do hope these shops start building off of the new reproduction tubs, but then they need a title to go with it.

It happens with anything that is cool, it is just the evolution of things and supply and demand dictates higher prices and none of us can stop that.

However, this popularity also generates more reproduction and custom parts as well which is usually good (when they fit and are not total crap).

The builds I see on their site look fine IMO. They seem to have a basic formula for the style they can market and sell, just like many other builders do. Most looked like pretty clean and tastefully built street modified rigs to me.

Unlike the gaudy aluminum diamond plate encrusted style that Rocky Roads was known to sell in the $40-60K price range 10-15 years ago. One of which us reported to have gotten that treatment was the other original Balloon Chaser Bronco!

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I know what you're saying Jimmy, but the days of good $500 parts Broncos and $1,500 complete ones worth building have been long gone for a while.

I do hope these shops start building off of the new reproduction tubs, but then they need a title to go with it.

It happens with anything that is cool, it is just the evolution of things and supply and demand dictates higher prices and none of us can stop that.

However, this popularity also generates more reproduction and custom parts as well which is usually good (when they fit and are not total crap).

The builds I see on their site look fine IMO. They seem to have a basic formula for the style they can market and sell, just like many other builders do. Most looked like pretty clean and tastefully built street modified rigs to me.

Unlike the gaudy aluminum diamond plate encrusted style that Rocky Roads was known to sell in the $40-60K price range 10-15 years ago. One of which us reported to have gotten that treatment was the other original Balloon Chaser Bronco!

I know those days have been gone, I can accept the current realistic market. But I fear what is coming soon. Supply and demand is only getting tougher. That's why I refuse to sell anything most of the time. That is also why you see me making lap after lap at Super Celebration trying to find parts. If I don't find it first, I won't get it.

I do enjoy seeing aftermarket parts being produced, such as the original style floor mat from Dennis Carpenter. It's about time those were made.

I fully agree on your opinion of Rocky Roads. Was the RR Balloon Chase the other original? I always thought it was a post chase conversion. ?:?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I know those days have been gone, I can accept the current realistic market. But I fear what is coming soon. Supply and demand is only getting tougher. That's why I refuse to sell anything most of the time. That is also why you see me making lap after lap at Super Celebration trying to find parts. If I don't find it first, I won't get it.

I do enjoy seeing aftermarket parts being produced, such as the original style floor mat from Dennis Carpenter. It's about time those were made.

I fully agree on your opinion of Rocky Roads. Was the RR Balloon Chase the other original? I always thought it was a post chase conversion. ?:?
It is my understanding that the RR Balloon Chaser was the other original. There were a few commemorative editions made after, but the other original gas never surfaced and is suspected to be the one they hacked. Even it it were a comemerative, why do that to a still rare piece instead of just getting another Bronco to coat in all their diamond plate crap?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
It is my understanding that the RR Balloon Chaser was the other original. There were a few commemorative editions made after, but the other original gas never surfaced and is suspected to be the one they hacked. Even it it were a comemerative, why do that to a still rare piece instead of just getting another Bronco to coat in all their diamond plate crap?

^ Agreed. I hope we never have to see anything like that again.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
^ Agreed. I hope we never have to see anything like that again.
I'll hand it to Jonathan Ward, I've seen a couple times where he's gotten in very nice survivors and simply cleaned them up a bit and sold them as it is rather than creating one of his standard Icon builds from it.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Balloon chaser? Thought it was an ambulance minus the ambulance doors? Oddly, this post started as an observation an opinion but has turned into a fact fest sprinkled with condescending comments and name calling, at the end of the day I respect everyone's comments, even yours Drew.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I'll hand it to Jonathan Ward, I've seen a couple times where he's gotten in very nice survivors and simply cleaned them up a bit and sold them as it is rather than creating one of his standard Icon builds from it.

Yep, he had a beautiful '73 Burnt Orange Explorer once. Sold in original form. :cool:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Balloon chaser? Thought it was an ambulance minus the ambulance doors? Oddly, this post started as an observation an opinion but has turned into a fact fest sprinkled with condescending comments and name calling, at the end of the day I respect everyone's comments, even yours Drew.

Threads and discussions evolve from the original post, that is how it usually works from what I've seen.

Do you really not know what I was referring to with the Balloon Chaser?

What name calling or condescending comments other than perhaps my observation on the gaudy diamond plate that RR was infamous for?

Whether my opinions are respected or not does not really matter as long as I can support them with facts or examples. Then they stand on their own.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Wow, some of you seem overly fixated with that single term

Sorry, but this repeated whining about the use of the term "restoration" in the article and a few places on their website comes off as really chickenshit IMO.

^^ maybe I mis-understood, because someone has a different OPINION than yours they're wrong? It is still my OPINION (not fact) that some lesser informed buyers may be disappointed to find their purchase not as restored as they expected. It's just an opinion but feel free to tell me how wrong I am for having it.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
^^ maybe I mis-understood, because someone has a different OPINION than yours they're wrong? It is still my OPINION (not fact) that some lesser informed buyers may be disappointed to find their purchase not as restored as they expected. It's just an opinion but feel free to tell me how wrong I am for having it.

Get your panties out of a bunch Ted. :)

I could agree with you, but why should both of us be wrong? ;)

I was referring to the fact that more custom Broncos sell for big $ than originals as you previously asserted with no examples.

It's not my job or desire to worry about if some multi-millionare celebrity or athlete feels buyers remorse or be disappointed because their personal assistant did not perform proper due diligence for them. Worry away for them if you wish.

Again, there seems to be more concern from some in this thread to nitpicking the term restoration and whether a customized 66 has marker lights added rather than anything more substantial to actual build quality.

I have never met these guys, but until I do and see their work in person, or hear from someone who has personally who I respect their opinion that says otherwise, I'm not going to badmouth, criticize, or bash them or their business model.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Ummm...you said that already & I go commando so no bunches here but thanks for thinking of me. As for all the nit-picking you're doing a stand up job as well.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Again, there seems to be more concern from some in this thread to nitpicking the term restoration and whether a customized 66 has marker lights added rather than anything more substantial to actual build quality.

I don't know of this shop or their work or their business model and I could care less. My panties aren't in a bunch. I'm not a purist. I'm not a nitpicker.

What I am, is an American and I speak English, although not too good at times. In English we use "words" to express and convey the meaning of our thoughts and describe things. The word "restoration" as documented by Miriam-Webster means: "the act or process of returning something to its original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc." The term has been used incorrectly so often (mainly by people trying to sell something) over the past few years until it has been "watered-down" to the point that it is now near meaningless. And that's wrong. Just because we say the wrong thing over and over doesn't make it true.

There are appropriate terms for all the various forms of builds and refurbishments: restoration, resto-mod, mild custom, and full custom. If anybody can find a Bronco (or any classic vehicle) that doesn't fit into one of these four categories, please let me know.

As hobbyists we should strive to use the terms correctly if for no other reason than to protect the hobby itself. Most of these sellers and shops that use "restoration" inappropriately do so knowingly in an attempt to represent their product in a more positive, legitimate, and expensive light. What's the word for that?......"pimp"?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
OK, I’ll be brief….Just kidding! ;D

I agree, words have meaning and will not disagree that restoration has a specific definition. This is far from a rare case when the American lexicon has been bastardized.

It is common knowledge that the term is widely used in a more generic term both inside and outside of the automotive world, right, wrong or indifferent. Sure, they could choose a more appropriate word for the specific builds shown, but I am not going to focus just on that and beat them up over something that commonly occurs, and does not appear to have any nefarious intent behind it.

How often do you use the names "Asprin", "Kleenex", "Bubble Wrap" or other specific trademarked brands when the actual item you are buying or reaching for is something else. In these cases, business who invested in these brands are negatively impacted. Do you have your same outrage and concern to protect them in these cases too?

The term resto-mod is relatively new, and unknown to many even within the automotive hobby, let alone outside. Actually, the ones on their page are not even restomods, since most/all are cut, many have different bumpers and other externally visual modifications that deviate from the original look. True restomods typically look stock from the outside (excpet perhaps tires and wheels), but have modern drivelines, brakes, AC and other convieniances.

It is not as if they claimed something like "Our complete restorations are factory correct and bring these Broncos back to like the day they sat on the dealer's showroom", or even “Meticulously and authentically restored to like new”.

I find this rather funny in that of all the people on this forum, I'm likely one of the very few here who has done true restorations on an Early Broncos. We’ve had 2 AACA Grand National awards (the first two EB’s to be awarded this), and a third which currently has its Senior Award and is awaiting the next Grand National Meet we attend. Trust me, I know the difference, however, I did not see anything in the original article or on their website that looked to me to be intentionally deceiving, but only a common misuse of a word that seems to get some of you riled up enough to chime in about it. When I refer to these, I use a more specific term such as "authtentic restoration", "factory/period correct restoration", "concourse quality restoration", etc. When I see other vehicles with true restorations, they also frequently use additional terms to clearly identify what has been done. Especially on vehicles like Broncos that are built in many other ways, unlike something like Dusenbergs which are typically only restored to original.

I give no weight to anything written by a reporter in a local business journal as being 100% factually correct when it comes to technical details or rather specific use of terms in an article about restored/custom automobiles. I often see much more glaring issues from within forums such as this, and on automotive publications and shows where people should know better but obviously do not. So, with that aside due to the author's probable ignorance about the term, it comes down to CFB's use on their website.

Yep, from the descriptions on their websie it really sounds like they are trying to pass off these two builds as a factory original piece ready for the concours d'elegance at Pebble Beach. %)

"CFB frame off restoration. Our clint was looking for the perfect golf, beach, weekend cruiser. Why not built a bespoke Classic Ford Bronco? Options include: Blue Print 347 stroker engine producing 425 HP, Fast fuel injection system, 5 speed manual with a twin stick transfer case, CFB full leather package, Vintage Air, premium Kicker sound system, 3 tops, hard top includes Alcantara headliner, family cage."

CFB frame off restoration. WOW does this truck turn heads! Navy blue paired with CFB ball glove leather. This truck screams classy! Great mix of vintage style with modern touches. Upgrades to this truck include: A/C, bumper package, hard top, hydraboost brakes, leather interior, carpet.

As for protecting the hobby, when I have done that in recent month to call into question a few supposed "rare factory options", I got some crap over being too technical about it and raining on people's parade who wanted to believe in undocumented unicorns. LOL In that case, clearly perpetuating unsubstantiated features as rare options in order to increase the demand or price serves no one in the hobby well.

I'm sure Ted’s head is spinning now that this discussion had meandered into including references to Kleenex and Bubble Wrap as well! ;D

Karl’s original post did not define the scope of this thread, so I took that it was open to whatever spun off of the conversation, and not simply to what any particular person was focused on making as a point. Sorry if I am straying from where some of you think it should have gone and if I mentioned some of our Broncos again. It seemed quite appropriate considering the context of the discussion and our personal experiance with the true restoration facet of our Bronco hobby which relatively few on here share.