• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any tech write up on a Dana 44 install? Or tips?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

So I've got two days off in a row and it's not raining so I'm gathering the parts on the living room floor and preparing to install my Dana 44 tomorrow morning.

Are there any tech write ups on this?

OR do you guys have any helpful tips?

My dana 30 has the Wild Horses front disc which I was told are a direct bolt up. Also I'm installing new coils, bushings, the dana 44 was resealed, and it's got new ball joints.

I couldn't find the correct ball joint sleve installer tool so I just took my grinder to a sacrificial metric socket, muhhhaa, it'll work.

I look forward reading up during my coffee refil trips inside tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys,

Chris
taipeichris13@yahoo.com

jrcflash

I recently replaced a Dana 30 with a 77 EB Dana 44. The only issue I ran into was the steering linkage.

The knuckles on the 44 are 'thicker' than the ones on the 30. When I installed the tie rod ends onto the knuckles, I could not get a cotter pin into the tie rod end. If you have linkage from the 44, this should not be an issue. I will be ordering new linkage from extreme custom fab to fix this problem on mine.

Otherwise pretty much a bolt in. Be careful if working alone. Those things are heavy.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thanks, I noticed how heavy the Dana 44 is. It actually broke a milk crate in the garage after 1 week of holding it up. Back to working. . .