• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

an interesting oil filter study

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
check these filters out;

http://automotiveassistance.net/

cnc aluminum body, stainless mesh element, with or without bypass valve, reusable. take it apart, clean it out, put it back in. lots of baja teams running them, several monster truck teams also running them. it'll be the next filter on my truck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
thats been posted before info is ok but the filter efficiency is really the part that means anything and he doesnt have that info so I really dont think his info means a lot without that.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I find it funny that there is soo much "research and technology" going into oil filters. Most of the good ones perform almost the same, and even most of the cheap ones compare. Now if some really well controlled statistical study could be done to say that the minute change significantly affect the life of an engine then I would be impressed. I don't think this will happen because of too many variables from engine to engine and such. I feel its one of those little things people are too caught up on because of manufacture hype about the importance of an "incredible" oil filter. But then again that is just my $0.02.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
73stallion said:
check these filters out;

http://automotiveassistance.net/

cnc aluminum body, stainless mesh element, with or without bypass valve, reusable. take it apart, clean it out, put it back in. lots of baja teams running them, several monster truck teams also running them. it'll be the next filter on my truck.

I like those reusable ones too. I talked to the Pure Power rep at the Expo over the weekend for quite awhile-was very impressed with his product. His filters are about twice as expensive as the other ones there (Ultrafilter?) but the difference in quality was noticeable.

Todd Z.

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
tabascom16 said:
I find it funny that there is soo much "research and technology" going into oil filters. Most of the good ones perform almost the same, and even most of the cheap ones compare. Now if some really well controlled statistical study could be done to say that the minute change significantly affect the life of an engine then I would be impressed. I don't think this will happen because of too many variables from engine to engine and such. I feel its one of those little things people are too caught up on because of manufacture hype about the importance of an "incredible" oil filter. But then again that is just my $0.02.

This is a very common misconception about filtration. Generally speaking "the cleaner the oil, the longer the life of the engine". I agree that there needs to be a non-biased study of the different filtering media, but if you use some of the information that is presently available then you should be able to make a good decision of what filter to use.

Here is some information from a study I found from NORIA:

AC Delco performed some tests and found that contaminants in your oil smaller than 10 microns generated about 3.6 times more wear (rods, rings, and main bearings) than particles greater than 20 microns. (25 microns = 1/1000th of an inch. Most humans can only see 40 microns or larger) Typical automotive filters remove particles 40 microns and larger.
Silica and alumina coming from your engine's air intake will pass through your air filter (a good case for getting a good air filter as well) and get into your oil. This abrasive dust will pass between pistons, rings and culinder walls and many pairticles will eventually become suspended in the lubricating oil. The typical piston ring to cylinder bore clearance is 5-10 microns. Any particles larger than this clearance will not get caught up but instead will be washed away and will cause no harm. Particles smaller than this clearance will get between the ring and wall and will score the wall. This is where your wear comes from.
There is a chart that describes the effect of filtration on engine life. I hope this formats OK.
Filter Quality Normalized Wear Relative Engine Life
40 microns 1 1
15 microns 0.29 3.4
8.5 microns 0.18 5.5
7 microns 0.14 7.1
Therefore a 7 micron filter will cause your engine to wear 7.1 times slower than using a 40 micron filter.

That is pretty good evidence for choosing a good filter. Another reason so spend an extra few bucks on a good filter is that it will cause your engine oil to last longer. A better filter means longer periods between your oil changes.

If you want more information on this subject I have tons of it. This is part of what I do for a living. We have increased our filtration capacity at our plant and have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of bearing wear and failure. Also our oil analyses have been coming back so clean that we have been using less oil. Cost savings are really increasing with just a little attention to the life blood of our machines.

Yes, the marketing people are going to feed you all sorts of BS to try to sell their products. Look at the facts on their products and choose accordingly.

Scott