• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator duel pulley belt

Stock Farm

Hi all - have a upgraded alternator (from a Taurus) and as mentioned in many other posts it squeals....really sucks.

Anyway, I read a duel pulley helps. I have the duel pulley on the alternator but can’t figure out how to get 2 belts on it (I’d rather not convert to serpentine).

I understand the belt will go around crank, water pump, power steering and alternator.

Can someone that’s done this post belt part number or any helpful info that will assist in getting the correct longer belt.

Thank you.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Dual pulleys

Hello stock,
I run a similar set up but with a power master alternator. I only have alternator and water pump on my 302 5.0 and a dual pulley at the crank. You can use a string and measure it to find the right size. Belts are on 1 and .5 lengths. Below is my set up

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I used all OE Bronco pulleys, with the front groove turning the power steering pump plus all the other pulleys. The rear groove turns everything except the PS pump. I use a 1g large case truck alternator. 100A is more than enough power and no squeal. The PS pump belt is tightened last.

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

Thanks jckkys - I’m using original alternator duel pulley as well. Instead of driving the Air Punp, I’d likely to put another belt on it. Do your you have the part number for your rear belt?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have the same brackets? If not then the belt number might not mean anything other than getting close. At that point the string method that jedblake mentioned is going to be more helpful.
You still have the heavy cast alternator bracket that held the air pump as well? Jed's got the standard non-air bracket, but not sure what jckkys has. He can tell you, to make sure it would be close.

Assuming you also both have the same stock Bronco pulleys on the rest of the stuff!
What year is your Bronco? I should know by now what his is, but have forgotten.
Mine was like jedblakes since I did not have power steering at that point, or an air pump. Had to find new crank and water pump pulleys (which was a pain all it's own!) for my 70a large case 1G but it worked out great.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

It’s a 76 Bronco, everything stock (except the alternator).
I took the pulley’s off the stock alternator and put them on the new one.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Something that I haven't seen mentioned, and isn't obvious, but you can't just buy two of the same p/n belt and be good to go. This is because it is rare for two random belts from the same mfg and arguably the same length to actually be the same length. Need to buy a matched set. Old school parts guys will know what you're asking for.

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

Update - hopefully this set up may guide others.
- Original 2 pulley on 1998 Taurus alternator (pulley was removed from original alternator - it had 2 because I had air pump).

- one belt goes around alternator, water pump and crank; oem belt.
- second belt goes around alternator, water pump, power steering pump and crank - this belt is 57” long (Gates part # 7570; Dayco # 15570; NAPA # 25-7570)

So far (just a couple of days) it works great.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0107A661-7F26-4BAF-A0BF-D41760BC4460.jpg
    0107A661-7F26-4BAF-A0BF-D41760BC4460.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 14622EBB-9F01-46B1-AA8D-0CB57AC262CC.jpg
    14622EBB-9F01-46B1-AA8D-0CB57AC262CC.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: