• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A Bronco brother passes away...

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Sorry to report that long-time mudder, Neal Welch, has passed
away :cry:

His racing career (http://welchracing.com/main.html) was profiled in
Bronco Driver Issue #25 (Racing & Competition Broncos) and he was
pictured with his red Early Bronco on the front cover.

Carolina Broncos' Forum also has a thread:
http://www.cb4x4.com/upload/showthread.php?t=1834

Neal was a great guy and loved by all that meet him. He will be missed for years to come. Some of you may remember Neal from the Free 4 All event at wheeling in the country. He had his fire breathing mud racer EB there and put on show for us through the mud pit.

I'm really going to miss Neal.

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I'm with ya brother. Maybe Jon can merge the threads..but its all good.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134248

Sorry, I must have missed the post. Either way, Neal was one of a kind that I'll deeply miss.

If you talk to Carl, please pass along my condolences. I've tried to call Carl but I understand why I've not been able to reach him.

I'm not sure of the details either but I know he'd been having some problem since his wreck.

I read in your other post where you and Neal could sit around and talk Broncos and anything else for hours. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I used to sit with Neal at some of the events outside the camper and your right...the guy had a passion that only a few could ever match.

The Bronco world will never be the same...to me.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Best wishes and prayers for his family.

He didn't hold back on his rigs, that's awesome! I wish I could have met the guy.

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
I mentioned it in the other thread, there is mention of a "Neal Racing" shirt. I think it would be a great thing if we could all purchase one of those shirts both as a tribute to Neal, and to help the family out any way we can. What do you think guys?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Some Pics of Neal's rig at Free For All III in 2004.
He will be missed.

Attachments

• 04 FFAIII.JPG
    04 FFAIII.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 22
  • FFAIII.JPG
    FFAIII.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 24

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, I must have missed the post. Either way, Neal was one of a kind that I'll deeply miss.

If you talk to Carl, please pass along my condolences. I've tried to call Carl but I understand why I've not been able to reach him.

No worries..like I said, maybe Jon can merge the threads for us. I ahve tried to contact Carl...and like you said, I don't expect a quick response from him.

Neal had a certain knack for building those NOS-charged stroker 460s that few could match and those motors contributed much to his success and matched or complemented his driving style. Note in all of the videos that a) every run sounds the same, even though they certainly were not all the same motors over the years. b) the RPM hits a 'ceiling' and simply stays there..loaded with mud..in the air..virtually no difference...but do you hear it popping off against a rev limiter? No you don't. Neal had a formula he had worked out over years that produced an incredible 'roof top' power curve, making the go-pedal largely irrelevant and allowing him to simply use it as an 'on/off' switch (including the nitrous..which was slaved to the go-pedal) and concentrate all on keeping the beast under control.

Neal respected my EB 4x4 MX racer and the engines I built for it. We did not compete against each other, he racing mud and I racing MX at the same venues. And yet, the crafty rascal never once, in all those years, would divulge to this old engine builder exactly how he achieved the results he did with his motors. ;) If he was just as cagey with everyone else as he was with me, then only God will know how he built those now..and I'm sure the sponsorship will follow from there. I have to imagine that mud racing in heaven does not require any of the tedious cleanup after each run either. ;D

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sad to read this. neal was a neat fellow. we chatted a few times at various events. bill please send my condolences to carl & the family.
godspeed~

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now there's a man who lived life.

You said a mouthfull there.. and tears are in my eyes. It is hard - almost impossible- to describe the joy that man took in his chosen sport..which was, indeed, his life. You simply had to see it..

cuz1

Loc.
Raleigh NC
I cannot thank everyone for such kind words and to have such kind thoughts from perfect strangers is even more soothing. Neal lived his life exactly as he wanted , under his terms. He was a man's man with a very unique way of analyzing even the most simpliest of things. I am really tounge tied and do not really know what to say. It has been one of the most difficult times in my life since I considered Neal my hero. In the last two days I have seen the depths and distance that Neal's influence has reached.

The funeral service will be held Monday at 11:00 at the First Presbyterian Church in Smithfield NC

Thanks to all!!

Carl Welch