• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

90’s explorer rear disc conv.

74bronk

Contributor
Need to know what parts to pull from the pick a-part before I go to do conversion on rear. Also what master cylinder will I have to use? Currently I have an after market aluminum master cylinder. I currently have the front disc conversion on my 74 bronco. Any and all particulars of this install are appreciated

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I think the biggest pain in removing the parts is getting into the 8.8 to get the c-clips off the axles without getting covered in gear lube, if you're getting them from a pick n pull. Pull the axles and get everything outboard from the housing. If you're going to get new rotors, no need to get those. Depending on the pick n pull price on the calipers, might be better off leaving them too, unless the look good. I don't know if the Bronco e-brake connection at the drum will work with the Explorer backing plate, but someone on here will know.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've done a few of the conversions and have a used a couple of different master cylinders, my current set up on my uncut Bronco has manual brakes with a newer dodge truck master cylinder. Currie has most of the other parts you'll need like re-drilled rotors, the spacer you'll need for correct spacing, I've used Lokar e-brakes cables on my conversions. Hoping you're already using a medium duty housing makes the conversion a lot easier.

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

Contributor
Question I have a stock 9” rear is it small bearing or large? And how do you know?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
There is actually 3 styles, small, med and large.

Post a pic of the end of the axle would help, after that what size are the bolts that hold the axle in the tube?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question I have a stock 9” rear is it small bearing or large? And how do you know?
Wild Horses used to have a great guide but I can't seen to find it, this you tube video should help you out though.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Wild Horses used to have a great guide but I can't seen to find it

Looks like they updated their website. Also looks like we lost all our order histories.

back on topic
disc conversion on my 74 bronco
Question I have a stock 9” rear is it small bearing or large?

If your 9" is original to your 74 it should be medium duty, large bearing with the "Torino" backing plate bolt pattern. Which means the Explorer disc
backing plates will bolt right up. Best way to tell is to measure the bolt pattern.

1713255476939.png