• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question for those who have done the Explorer rear disc conversion

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OK...I didn't know that installing an Explorer 8.8 was in the mix. So thanks for making that clear. If you are going to install an explorer 8.8 under an early bronco, then you have much bigger issues than I can help with.

(To take the legendary Ford 9 inch, the strongest, lightest, and universally agreed best rear axle ever put into a passenger car, and replace it with a c-clip 8.8 is beyond my ability to comprehend.)

It is worth re-iterating that there are 4 housing ends on the 9 inch, and 4 brake offsets.
1. 66-75 Big Bearing, big bolt. (2 inch offset)
2. 76-77 Big Bearing, big bolt. (2.36 inch offset)
3. 73-75 Big Bearing small bolt. (2.5 inch offset, "medium duty," "Torino")
4. 66-75 Small Bearing, small bolt. (2.2 inch, and nobody cares.)

If you happen to have type 3...the bolt spacing is exact match for the explorer pattern, the brake offset is an exact match for the explorer, but the retainer needs to accommodate the thicker disc brake caliper mount bracket. If you have any other type...then it is not.
Dang - learned something new today - I didn't realize the 66-75 big bearings had a 2.0" offset. I thought they were all 2 3/8".

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Dang - learned something new today - I didn't realize the 66-75 big bearings had a 2.0" offset. I thought they were all 2 3/8".

Todd Z.
...and while we are in learning mode, it's important to know that the 5x5.5 lug pattern when coupled with the extra thick flanges on some aftermarket axles causes the heads of the wheel studs to interfere with the parking brake shoe provision on the Wilwood pro-series solution. Evidently, Wilwood does not know this, because they sell the kit for the 2.36 brake offset. Wouldn't be a problem with a 2.5 brake offset. Don't ask me how I know this, but I can send pics.

So now I'm tempted to build a new rear disc conversion for the big bearing Ford and the Ram 1500 disc using Jeep JL backplates. Will have to run a 17 inch wheel...stay tuned.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
...and while we are in learning mode, it's important to know that the 5x5.5 lug pattern when coupled with the extra thick flanges on some aftermarket axles causes the heads of the wheel studs to interfere with the parking brake shoe provision on the Wilwood pro-series solution. Evidently, Wilwood does not know this, because they sell the kit for the 2.36 brake offset. Wouldn't be a problem with a 2.5 brake offset. Don't ask me how I know this, but I can send pics.

So now I'm tempted to build a new rear disc conversion for the big bearing Ford and the Ram 1500 disc using Jeep JL backplates. Will have to run a 17 inch wheel...stay tuned.
Send some pics of the brake bits/studs interference and please help me visualize how all those bits fit together....

Todd Z.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Send some pics of the brake bits/studs interference and please help me visualize how all those bits fit together....

Todd Z.
So here’s some pics. You can see where the parking shoes have been running in the drum / hat. If you imagine adding th thickness of a forged axle, you can see where the stud would end up.

This was running in a 1979 Bronco 9 inch in a Jeep TJ. The previous owner removed the head of the stud and ground them down almost flush with the back of the axle. Way too scary for me..

A simple 2.5 brake offset would fix it. But 2.36 doesn’t work. If you ran 5x4.5 lugs, or 5x5…no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 10

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here are some measurements I had from a number of years ago.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 9

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So here’s some pics. You can see where the parking shoes have been running in the drum / hat. If you imagine adding th thickness of a forged axle, you can see where the stud would end up.

This was running in a 1979 Bronco 9 inch in a Jeep TJ. The previous owner removed the head of the stud and ground them down almost flush with the back of the axle. Way too scary for me..

A simple 2.5 brake offset would fix it. But 2.36 doesn’t work. If you ran 5x4.5 lugs, or 5x5…no problem.
Got it! That helps with the visuals a great deal.

Thanks,
Todd Z.