• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Rear end rebuild?

Gearing?

• Stock 3.55

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 4 15.4%

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

At the end of the season the pinion bearing got loose and I was getting some vibration so I parked the Bronco. Now that other things are slowing down I am thinking about getting a new set of gears for it when we rebuild the 9" and wanted opinions. Right now has stock gears which I assume are 3.55's. So specks are OEM 302 rebuilt with "towing" cam so pretty much stock, Also stock C4 automatic and 35" tires. What gear ratio would you go to? Stock, 4.11 or 4.56. We just cruise around with some highway driving. No off roading and I am not into smoking tires.

THEBONE

Stock gear ratio doesn't necessarily mean 3.50's. Better check that first. Also don't forget if you change the rear you have to change the front.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Before my transmission swap, had a C4 with a stockish 302 and "rv" cam. In my opinion 4.11 just didnt have enough power when going up hills so that why i voted for a 4.56 gear.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Stock Drive train and 33" tires and an automatic with 4.11 is great until you want 4 x 4 high then in most cases it wont pull it to make you happy. your pretty much stuck to low range. with 35 Inch tires it would be a total bummer. so with 35" tires your pretty much stock to go to 4.56. you might pull it with a 351 engine. I have fords worst year for a 302 with 4.11 and 33 inch tires. I live on low range when in 4X4 It will run an easy 70 MPH all day but it cant pass its own exhaust as your already at the top of the power band. Change your rear gear first and see if you like it just don't go into 4x4 with the hubs locked. if you don't like it its easy to sell ford 9" stuff with little loss. once you find what you like then do the front.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A fairly stock 302, 35" Tires with the 3.50 gear would have next to no power at all. You will really start to love your Bronco even more with a 4.56 gear.

capt2130

I have a roller 302 w/ 35" and went with 4.56 and do not regret it. I do plan to replace the C4 with an OD at some point.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
with overdrive you will be re gearing again I would do the tranny first then re-gear once as it costs allot to re-gear if paying someone to do it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the 35s I would lean toward the 4.27/4.30 gears.
That pretty much puts you at stock gearing for stock size tires.

I read some mumblings about an overdrive transmission, that is a whole new can of worms. Now it would be more of a 5.13 gear so the overdrive is usable. But what overdrive transmission? Or is this just something someone tossed out there and is confusing the matter?