• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 wheel and tire question

Marsh

I was wondering if anyone had used the wheel vantiques 14 series and thoughts on them?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-14-7855042

I wanted to confirm they would fit for a 77 bronco with the 4.25 back spacing.

Alternatively, is there a better wheel option for a stock looking 17 inch steel wheel to pair with BFG ko2 285/70r17 or 285/75r17.

Also are there any thoughts which tire is better 70 vs 75? The bronco has a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The 70 means the height is 70% of the width. 75 is 75% of the width. The 75 will be a little taller. 70% is 200 mm
75% is 214 mm
At least this is what I was lead to believe about how width and height on metric tires relate.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was wondering if anyone had used the wheel vantiques 14 series and thoughts on them?
I have them in 15x7 size, and think they're great.
Not the same size, but the wheels are nice and look stock-ish.
I wanted to confirm they would fit for a 77 bronco with the 4.25 back spacing.
And that's the big question. Hopefully someone has tried them in your hoped-for size.
The backspacing would be a deal breaker with a 15, and most 16's. But with 17's? They would "probably" work just fine.
Hopefully someone has tried them and can confirm the clearance with the steering linkage.
Also are there any thoughts which tire is better 70 vs 75? The bronco has a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift.
That's not really the question. An 8" wheel is probably fine with anything from a 265 to a 315 if I am getting my numbers correct. But what size tire are you looking for?
There is the fitment question, but with 3.5 inches of total lift, you could fit 35's if your fenders were cut-n-flared. Are you running uncut fenders?
There is no aspect ratio that is "better" in this equation. There are arguments for both, but they don't hold much sway if you're only picking a weekend warrior tire, or a downtown trip to the ice-cream store cruiser. Tire "performance" does not come into play here. Just fitment and looks I would think.
Ride quality "might" be better with a 75-series tire. But it's not an apples to apples comparison, if one tire is a different load range than the other.
So pick your own tire size, based on your needs/desires. One is not automatically better than the other.

Paul