• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco - Special Decor Build

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna repaint with the same Midnight Blue Metallic and add the Decor White Stripe as it had from the factory.

Changed my mind on this thought. ^^^

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm having a 351w built for the 76 Bronco but that is a couple weeks out. I just got a rebuilt C4 and J-shift Transfer case to the shop today. So, all new Drivetrain will be installed at some point.

I will replace the rear wire harness as well, the PO buggered it up pretty good.

There were also some extra holes in the dash for extra gauges (factory gauges work fine) and a Rats nest of wires for aftermarket stereo and not sure what else was attempted. All cleaned up now and A LOT safer too. It was a fire just waiting to happen.

A replacement factory Dash is now on the parts list too.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a White Rampage Soft Top that I would like to install on this 76 Decor truck. I will have a White/Parchment Interior and the white Decor Stripe.

Anyone have a Special Decor Bronco with White Stripes and a White Top? (Soft or Hard)

I will repaint the Bronco the original Dark Blue Metallic but I am open to changing color to either Black or maybe Red. Pictures of either of the 3 colors with the Special Decor White Stripe would be great.

Thanks

fosgate150

I have a White Rampage Soft Top that I would like to install on this 76 Decor truck. I will have a White/Parchment Interior and the white Decor Stripe.

Anyone have a Special Decor Bronco with White Stripes and a White Top? (Soft or Hard)

I will repaint the Bronco the original Dark Blue Metallic but I am open to changing color to either Black or maybe Red. Pictures of either of the 3 colors with the Special Decor White Stripe would be great.

Thanks

Some usefull information:
If you want to stay on the same lines as a factory decor group bronco. The option of keeping a white top on a decor bronco was available from the factory. If you want to change the body color but keep a factory stripe color, you could also go with a black stripe. Ford even offered a yellow stripe color!!

Mine has the factory white top option and also the black stripe color but it is still "in-work" so no pictures just yet.

If you are looking at buying a stripe kit you can get Broncitis to make them, I purchased mine from him.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, I have been in contact with Broncitis before - Thanks

My 76 actually was from the factory with a white top but PO painted it to match when body was repainted the Dark Blue.

Will stick with White/Parchment interior, add the White Soft Top and add the White Decor Stripe as before. An original color Blue or change to Black or Red would still work with the current interior and White Soft Top too.

Color change may be totally different by the time it's all stripped down and finally ready for paint.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Little bit of disappointment this afternoon. After stripping the interior and taking the carpeting out, I could see the front floor pans had been redone. Or, I should say covered. Looks great from underneath. There might have been a little rust at the front seams but not bad enough to cover completely. Even the Body Mount Bolt was covered up....... NOT good.

NOT what I had expected and promised.... The rest of the Bronco is very solid, thankfully.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
That does suck a bit but look at the bright side, its a very solid truck with SO much going for it compared to many of the beasts out here. Maybe a bit more to do up front but worth it.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, this will become by build thread I guess.

I am all in. The 76 Bronco has been almost completely stripped down to just body and frame.

Original Drivetrain and Fuel Tanks have been removed.

C4 Trans and Transfer Case are rebuilt with J-Fab Twin Sticks.

351c is being built for this Bronco.

Dash has been removed and wire Harness Gone through. The PO had so much extra wiring for additional gauges, aftermarket radio/sound system and I'm not sure what else was included. Once all the extra wiring was removed the original Harness/wiring is in very good shape and it all cleaned up very nice. I will replace the tail section Harness and the engine harness.

2 1/2" WH Suspension Lift with Bilstiens has been installed.

Body color choices have been narrowed down to White, Black or Red. Will have White Soft Top and possibly Ginger interior. It is an original Special Decor Group truck so I might go with the Black Grill and stripe kit as well. Not sure if i will cut the fenders yet??? Body will be off the frame hopefully this coming week at Body Shop and Rolling Chassis back to my shop for the clean up and build.

Pictures coming soon.

Last edited:

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Sounds like a great plan and your well on your way. I'll be following this build for sure.;D

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is what the 76 Bronco looks like as of today.

Attachments

• 76 Bronco Dash Harmess.jpg
    76 Bronco Dash Harmess.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 76 Bronco Engine Compartment.jpg
    76 Bronco Engine Compartment.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 76 Bronco Front Suspension.jpg
    76 Bronco Front Suspension.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 76 Bronco Rebuilt Trans.jpg
    76 Bronco Rebuilt Trans.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 250
  • 76 Bronco Stripped Interior.jpg
    76 Bronco Stripped Interior.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 255
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am still VERY undecided as to what my final color choice is. I thought I had it down to Wimbledon White, Black or Red. But, I keep finding really good looking Broncos of various colors.

Here is one of another 76 with Ranger trim. Assuming it's an original color which Green is it? Not Mallard green, but is it Glen Green or Baytree green?

Thanks

Attachments

• 76 Bronco - green Metallic.jpg
    76 Bronco - green Metallic.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Removed the Fuel Tanks, Fuel Lines and Rear Wire Harness and related items yesterday.

Also separated the body mounts. 6 of the Body Mount bolts came right up with an Impact Gun and only 2 had to be cut for removal, so, I got pretty lucky.

It's off to the body shop this coming week to remove the body and get it blasted. I'll bring the rolling chassis back to my shop to get the frame, axles and suspension cleaned, prepped and finished. Then start re-assembling.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco was sent to Body Shop yesterday and the Body was removed.

I delivered the Body Buck had the body mounted and it will be off to the blaster this week. I know I will be replacing the front floor panels, but there are sure to be other panels, fixed or replaced as well. We will soon see after the blaster gets done with it.

Rolling chassis made it back to my shop where the cleaning begins. Frame is in excellent shape and does not need any extra work done.

Progress.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just got Body back from Blaster a couple hours ago. I already new the front floors were gonna be replaced and after close inspection tomorrow with day light I will find what else needs to be replaced.

Rolling chassis is pretty much done. Frame was completely cleaned, prepped, and Epoxy Coated with a Low Gloss Black Top Coat. Suspension was installed, Stainless Brake lines installed, Stainless Fuel line bent and installed.

I am waiting on a few parts to get the rest done.

I have decided on Pebble Beige (1969 code #6) as the paint of choice. Not what I expected at first, but I really like the color, very old school, and have only seen a couple Broncos that color. (One is on the cover of NPD) Already have White Rampage Soft top. May still add white decor stripe as well.

Progressing nicely so far,

Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got some more work done this weekend.

Here is what the Rolling Chassis looks like so far.

After checking out the freshly Blasted Body Tub, only the Floor Boards need to be replaced. So, not too bad. Body goes to Body Shop Tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo76 Bronco - Trans Install.jpg
    photo76 Bronco - Trans Install.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 76 Bronco - Frame 3.jpg
    76 Bronco - Frame 3.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 76 Bronco - Frame 2.jpg
    76 Bronco - Frame 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 76 Bronco - Frame 1.jpg
    76 Bronco - Frame 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 166

broncojack

Contributor
Does your Marti Report say how many Special Decor Bronco's were made in'76?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has numbers for Paint Code (2183) and Paint/Trim Codes (1180) but no specific number of Special Decor.