• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explore swap to 351W EFI

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
My current set up is a 97 Explore 5.0 swap . It’s been reliable and runs great. But I can tell it’s getting tired and needs to be rebuilt. It’s not smoking or over heating but it has probably pushing 250k miles on it. I can tell it’s loosing it’s punch. So I’m kicking around what I want to do. I’m currently using all the stock Ford stuff I can. In the tank Fuel pump, power steering pump, EFI Aluminum radiator, Explore front dress , Explore EFI , GT40P heads, AX15
My options ...
1-Of course the easiest route would be rebuilt what I have. Bore it , upgrade cam , I have a set GT40X aluminum heads that need to be worked.
2-347 stocker Build the heads, select a cam. I would need to get it tuned. exhaust, front dress fuel delivery would stay the same . Cost goes up quick , stroker Kit , machine shop,
3-351W. We all have heard “No replacement for displacement” . Stock block, select cam . I definitely want to keep my Ford EFI stuff. Either after market lower intake or use an adapter to use my upper intake. Could I use my front dress? Is the fuel pump big enough? Will my radiator be up to the task? I would need to get a ECM and tuned.

Looking to hear from guys who been there and done that .

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
My current set up is a 97 Explore 5.0 swap . So I’m kicking around what I want to do. I’m currently using all the stock Ford stuff I can. In the tank Fuel pump, power steering pump, EFI Aluminum radiator, Explore front dress , Explore EFI , GT40P heads, AX15
My options ...

351W. We all have heard “No replacement for displacement” . Stock block, select cam . I definitely want to keep my Ford EFI stuff. Either after market lower intake or use an adapter to use my upper intake. Could I use my front dress? Is the fuel pump big enough? Will my radiator be up to the task? I would need to get a ECM and tuned.

As far as I know there is no adapter or aftermarket lower for the Explorer upper to a Ford 351W, Ford first generation Lightning or the marine cast iron 351W GT40 lower intake are your choices.

Front dress will work.
Fuel pump should work.
Radiator should work.

EFI Guy is the answer for your ECM needs, you may only need yours reprogrammed.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Do the 351 fuel injected engine (consider a 408 too...wish I had).
The engine runs fantastic and fuel injection is so much better, especially off road.
Highly recommended! :)

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would bore 30 over and stroke what you got and run the gt 40x heads.
You are gonna spend more than the the cost of a stroker kit buying a 351 short block, a lightning 351 lower, and a cam shaft position sensor.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I’m running a the Explore cam position sensor with the coil packs . Will all of that work with a 351 ?

Thanks Sandman 408 Dangling that carrot in my face I had not considered that The cost of 347 would be the same as a 408

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I’m running a the Explore cam position sensor with the coil packs . Will all of that work with a 351 ?

Thanks Sandman 408 Dangling that carrot in my face I had not considered that The cost of 347 would be the same as a 408

Explorer cam sensor is made for the 8.2 inch block height of the 5.0/302, the 351W is a 9.5 inch block height.
There are cam sensors made for the 9.5 block and there are sensors that can be modified to work, but the switch to OBD2 EDIS was made after the end of first generation Lightning and Mustang Cobra R production so nothing directly off the Ford parts shelf.

One example:
https://64bittuning.fwscart.com/95_..._Camshaft_Synchronizer/p5216210_18057592.aspx

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
351W Option - Get a GT-40 Lower intake for the 351W and build the motor as you like. Just about everything from the 5.0L will go back on for the swap. You will need a 1-2" Body lift for clearance with a stock hood.

347 Option - Maybe new Cam, the GT-40X heads and Everything back on the block with an EFI tune. Same hood clearance as before.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Explorer cam sensor is made for the 8.2 inch block height of the 5.0/302, the 351W is a 9.5 inch block height.
There are cam sensors made for the 9.5 block and there are sensors that can be modified to work, but the switch to OBD2 EDIS was made after the end of first generation Lightning and Mustang Cobra R production so nothing directly off the Ford parts shelf.

One example:
https://64bittuning.fwscart.com/95_..._Camshaft_Synchronizer/p5216210_18057592.aspx

Thanks for the link. That would solve that issue

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
In either case, if you keep the cam mild and stick with Ford racing injectors, it should just be a simple reflash on my end. I also have the adapter collars that will let you use a 3.8 sensor with the 351.