• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 box relocation

justintime51

Has anyone pushed the 4x4x2 box forward? I know the body mount and core support will have to be cut. Just curious because I'm getting into a binding issue on the steering links. If I push the box forward about 1.75 inches, I can gain some up travel.
ef2621c428128c56d3ecad478daa8fff.jpg
f396cc9fe0cd552a893418830f2b88ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Contributor
You’ll run into issues with the front crossmember as well..

OP
OP
justintime51

justintime51

You’ll run into issues with the front crossmember as well..
I was thinking that as well. But if I drop the drag link down to the tie rod, instead of the upper part of the knuckle, I might gain a little.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Shove the box all the way to the grill. Cut the bottom of the grill lip off for another 1/2"+.

If you need more, raise your bumper up to cover the hole you just made in the grill to gain more inches and you can gain another whatever amount you need. :)

Mine is up to my grill with the lip removed. Looks stock. I used to run the arm fwd and then I kind of experienced bump steer from the steering drag link with 16" of travel.... so it moved again.

Yes, you'll probably need to trim the bottom of the crossmember off which is also doable. One thing on these builds leads to 4 or more.... each one of those each lead to 3 or 4 more. lol

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t checked lately, but if our instructions are still online, it shows where to notch the body mount and use at least one factory hole to mount the new larger box.

A lot of people don’t want to move it forward, but I think making those slight modifications is the better way to go, rather than have interference issues with the linkage.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Years back one of the members (tonto maybe) mounted the stock 78-79 box with the pitman forward to fix his issues. I think he had to move the box back toward the coil spring a little to line it up.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I was just saying it's so easy to drill 3 new holes that you move it where it needs to be. I had the arm going forward once also but depending on suspension travel you may incur "bump steer" like I did just from the drag link- gone again when I moved the ps box to the grill and had the arm face towards the rear.

Notching the mount is easy also.

OP
OP
justintime51

justintime51

Shove the box all the way to the grill. Cut the bottom of the grill lip off for another 1/2"+.

If you need more, raise your bumper up to cover the hole you just made in the grill to gain more inches and you can gain another whatever amount you need. :)

Mine is up to my grill with the lip removed. Looks stock. I used to run the arm fwd and then I kind of experienced bump steer from the steering drag link with 16" of travel.... so it moved again.

Yes, you'll probably need to trim the bottom of the crossmember off which is also doable. One thing on these builds leads to 4 or more.... each one of those each lead to 3 or 4 more. lol
I think I just need to move it 1.75" and everything will be happy. Core support will definitely need to be cut, and same with the body mount. I've got no problem hacking shit up in the name of progress.

First, I'm going to try and locate the box on the back bottom hole and make the sector shaft more vertical and see if that helps the steering clear.

Honestly, I wish I got this thing before 3 different people started to modify it. I'm reworking everything. I tore out all the front 3 link suspension that one of the previous owners installed because it all bound up. Cut out the engine cage because the coilover angle was off, and it sat too high. Ditched the 78-79 d44 because they welded all the link to it. I didn't feel like cutting it all off, so I opted for a 77 f250 d44.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
FireBronco 4x4x2 has steering link directly below and inline with notched front crossmember. Doing a fabricated frame steering box mount with a cut down section of 4"x4"x.25" steel tube. moved forward close to 2" along with front axle. welding new piece together today as original frame horn got messed up in an accident last week Friday night.

I'd post pics but timed out on my contributor status. I have pics posted on FB early bronco page. gotto update.

OP
OP
justintime51

justintime51

So, I notched the body mount and used the factory lower back hole to index the box so that the sector shaft is now vertical. Cycled the suspension, and she clears. I still might move the box forward for some more clearance.
Thanks for your guys help, much appreciated.
051881f2da7ab6f8a283b706128d8623.jpg
30fb7a5121554ece0844d9ad69201a08.jpg