• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W build option advice needed

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
i'm goin to rebuild my 351w here in teh next month or so, i got a edelbrock 450hp top end kit and now deciding what to do to the bottom end. should i just get some pistons, bearings, arp hardware and seals and call it good?

cactushorse

450 my be a little hard on stock rods. You might look into a crank kit. (Rods/pistons/crank)

I built mine to 400/400 specs, not sure i would go much more.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd be a little concerned that the cam may be to big for bronco useage. As for the bottom end well they are said to be able to handle 700 hp but it never hurts to add some insurance to the bottom end. but really unless you plan on running this engine at 6000 RPM for extened periods I doubt you'll have any issues.

OP
OP
hardcharger

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
yep i posted pics in my build thread its heads, cam, intake, timing kit, carb, roller rockers, pushrods, etc

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Do you have any history on the motor, Is there any chance you have a Nodular Iron crank? 450 hp out of 351 cubic inches must be at over 6000 rpm. Keep it under 5500 and the stock bottom end shoud stay together if you recon the rods and add ARPs.
Just my opion. I run the snot out of my GT40 351W with iron heads. It seems to like it. It came with a N Iron crank but I don't know what style rods. I run a 6000 rpm revlimiter in the MSD. But the motor doesnt pull much past 5000 so I don't run it that high. I think the Performer intake is holding it back but not enough hood clearance for a Wieand Stealth or Performer RPM. I don't have a body lift.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
OP
OP
hardcharger

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
Do you have any history on the motor, Is there any chance you have a Nodular Iron crank? 450 hp out of 351 cubic inches must be at over 6000 rpm. Keep it under 5500 and the stock bottom end shoud stay together if you recon the rods and add ARPs.
Just my opion. I run the snot out of my GT40 351W with iron heads. It seems to like it. It came with a N Iron crank but I don't know what style rods. I run a 6000 rpm revlimiter in the MSD. But the motor doesnt pull much past 5000 so I don't run it that high. I think the Performer intake is holding it back but not enough hood clearance for a Wieand Stealth or Performer RPM. I don't have a body lift.

no i bought the truck about a year and a half ago. it runs great, no problems. i wish i knew the history on it, i don't think much has been done to it

OP
OP
hardcharger

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
pretty sure i'm goin to pull the trigger on this what do you guys think? with this top end

http://www.fordstrokers.com/ford-st...r-street-fighter-pro-street-rotating-kit.html

POWER PACKAGE TOP-END KIT #2090 451HP/433 LB-FT OF TORQUE INCLUDES:
Part No. Description
2281 Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam
79259 (2) Performer E-CNC Cylinder Heads, complete
6991 Timing Cover Gasket and Seal Set
7364 Cylinder Head Gasket Set
7581 RPM Air-Gap 351W intake manifold
8485 Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
8553 Cylinder Head Bolt Set
7820 Performer-Link Timing Set

360 4V

My 351W in the works:
D9 block
D8 head, ported and welded to 136-140cc intakes
1.94"/1.6" chevy vales
roller rockers (not purchased yet)
hedman headers 1-5/8"-1-3/4" (not purchased yet)
Shcneider Racing hydraulic flat-tappet camshaft
262/270, 208/214 duration, 110 lsa, .448"/.470" lift at the valve with
1.6:1 rockers
Weiand Stealth dual-plane intake manafold (not purchased yet)
Holley 650 cfm 4150 vacume-secondary carburator (not purchaed yet)
HEI distibutor (not purchased yet)
TRW forged pistons .040" over, left over from previous build
stock D6 connecting rods ( I do not expect much out of these)
stock crank (I do not remember what year)

I did not include a gurdle or heavy-duty rod-bolts. I would definatly do so next time around if I do not tear it all down again and do it this time. I am thinking I need larger ports.

So what do you think, 320 ft/lbs torque (flywheel), at 2,900. rpm, 210. hp at 3,800. rpm (flywheel) - oh and 8 miles per gallon, right?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should be able to pull more mileage out of it than that unless your running big tires and a tall lift. Thats basically a stock type build nothing to radical. No need for a girdle it would be a waste of $$ on that engine. D8 heads are probably your biggest power robber on that engine although the larger valves will help. But the large combustion chambers are not desireable.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
I have a roller 351W that I am about to build. Would I need to go to AL heads to get 350 HP or could I use ported stock heads?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Don't worry about the bottom end - you won't be spinning this motor at 5500-6000 it's entire life. People get hung up on what the racers are worried about, but we mostly use these engines for low end crawling with the occasional high RPM scream. We are not WOT and banging gears as fast as we can. The factory 351W should handle 700HP, don't worry about it. Use quality bearings and ARP hardware and you will be just fine.

This isn't a race car...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I have a roller 351W that I am about to build. Would I need to go to AL heads to get 350 HP or could I use ported stock heads?

good aftermarket heads would get you there easier but are not required to make 350 hp and for the effort and work involved ported stock heads are not worth the money or time IMO.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington

When I boght my SVO crate motor in 95 there were 2 351W availible. The iron head engine(gt40s) I bought was rated at 345hp 365 ft lbs. The aluminum head version had a higher lift/ longer duration cam with 14degrees of overlap and 10:1 comp. that was rated at 385 hp 385 ft lbs.
I think Ford may have been a little conservative with these numbers as my EB accelerates up 6% grades in OD with 4.10s and 33s at 60 mph and 2200 rpm. Drop it down into 3rd and things get fun. Never been on a dyno but very good power for on road or off. above 1500 rpm it comes alive instantly even in deep mud.

OP
OP
hardcharger

hardcharger

Loc.
San Diego
you guys are making me thing this 351w i'm building is goin to be a monster. my motor builder in socal is a racer so probably explains how he wants to build it. i don't quite think he realizes what is required of a offroad engine. through some trading the entire engine build will cost me whatever my bottom end costs in parts so if i buy a stroker kit for 1400 bucks then my entire motor will be 1400 bucks. thus why i'm slightly inclined to just say screw it and put in a nice bottom end.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
EBs have cooling problems as it is and if you go beyond 350 cid it's going to be an issue at trail speed. How much power is enough? Well I have owned a couple of fast street bikes and have rode 450 4-stroke dirt bikes since they started making them and I can say my bronco has enough power at around 350/365.

360 4V

Ok so what volume of intake and exhaust ports is prescribed for a 350 cubic-inch motor with a wide torque curve that is very street-wise, truck, and good for 4x4? I am guessing 165cc for a 350 and 185cc for a 383cc. I will dig up the article I found comparing torque curves on a 383 chevy. On this chevy, the 185 made the best, overall torque curve. The smaller cylinder head made a hair more down low and quite a bit less in the 4,000-5,500. rpm range. The larger cylinder head, 190-210cc made quite a bit less low end torque and a hair more mid-range torque. I will dig up the other article, I think it was on the Trickflow website showing the great torque improvement of 185cc intake ports on an 351W. I want to know how 185cc compares to 140 and 160cc on a 351W.