• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 spd manual to AOD swap?

I thinkI can

Loc.
Loveland
I'm doing the EFI 5.0/AOD conversion on my '71. I see a lot of information about converting from a C4, but I'm not finding much about converting from a 3 spd manual. This is what I'm trying to figure out:

1) Is the crossmember from the manual easily adapted or do I need to get one for a C4?
2) The D20 t-case from my 3 spd will work on the AOD with the adapter...right?

Any input to make this conversion as painless as possible would be appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1) it is the same crossmember on both the 3-speed and the C4, no difference.
2) with the correct adaptor, yes. That is what the adaptor is for, mating a transfer case to a transmission. Advance Adaptors is the source for this one although you will want to buy through a vender for better pricing.

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
The crossmember mod looks pretty easy although I am not that far in my conversion yet. A section needs to be cut from the center and rewelded to get the adapter housing clearance. There should be a (poor) description in the package with the adapter. There was with mine anyway.

OP
OP
I thinkI can

I thinkI can

Loc.
Loveland
Yeah...I planned on some modification, just wasn't sure if I had the right crossmember in the first place, a little guidance from the manufacturer will help. On a related note. I have a '93 2wd AODE, is the adapter needed different than it is for AWD transmission?

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
The crossmember doesn't actually connect to the tranny. It supports the tailshaft housing which is replaced with the one in the adapter kit.

On the 4R70W, newer model AODE, the output shaft is different on the AWD vs 2 wd so it had to be changed. Not sure on the older ones.