• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2004 Dana60 inner C questions

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
will a 2004 Dana 60 inner C allow for a knuckles out swap from an earlier Dana 60 (8x6.5)?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I do not believe they will, they are different ball joint designs, but I have not measured to confirm and do not know if the parts will interchange for the ball joints.

I just remembered you asked about that, and I forgot to go back and answer about converting from metric to 8x6.5. There are a few ways to accomplish that. The easiest if you have access to a mill and rotator is to redrill the pattern in the unit bearing, brakes all work and the wheels will bolt up. You can also purchase unit bearings that are made that way, there are several vendors for that.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
will a 2004 Dana 60 inner C allow for a knuckles out swap from an earlier Dana 60 (8x6.5)?
Answer should be "Yes."

The inner C on the Ford Dana 60 was functionally the same from 92-04. So if you wanted to hang a ball joint knuckle from a 92-97 it has the same ball joint spacing and size. I do not know about the brake caliper mounting.

I get my info from Pirate4x4...so there might be some echo chamber effect. But I always thought I could get rid of the unit bearings on my 99 super duty by running the ball joint 60 outers from an OBS. (But my cummins has an AAM axle, and I got rid of the unit bearings by buying the SpinTec kit.)

My Dynatrac front 60 has ball joints...so please post whatever you find out. I kinda need to know.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
The inner C on the Ford Dana 60 was functionally the same from 92-04. So if you wanted to hang a ball joint knuckle from a 92-97 it has the same ball joint spacing and size. I do not know about the brake caliper mounting.
I have read the same thing. It's "supposed" to be bolt on if you swap everything from the knuckles out.