• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1997 Explorer 5.0

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I bought a complete 5.0 with transmission out of a 160k Exploder locally and need some advice from those who have tore one down. My plan is to sell off the EFI parts (wiring, intakes, computer.. etc.. ) and sell the transmission, GT40p heads. I really bought it for the block and front dress stuff. I am hoping you all can help me with advice on tea down, what to save, what to toss, what to watch out for etc..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tyler

Attachments

• 5.0.jpg
    5.0.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 80

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would keep the P heads and valve train unless you're going aftermarket. While they can cause issue with header fitment, they're a good heads. Bronco Hut headers fit P heads with no issues.

Currently getting a set of P heads ready for my 351W

Tim

OP
OP
TTTGOWYO

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Thanks, good advice, but I am planning to go aftermarket since I already have a set of Edelbrock heads. Probably just using the block and front dress. I am going with FiTech EFI as well.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
In general, don't toss any of it until it sits a while and no one buys it.

The exhaust manifolds can probably be trashed though.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Man, you have everything for Explorer EFI. I would consider that before I spent the money on FiTech. Nothing wrong with FiTech (considering adding it to my Mach 1) but you already have the Explorer stuff....

Tune the ECU for a bigger cam and the aftermarket heads and Bingo. Wiring harness adds/delete are not that hard. I took a 96 van SD harness and turned it into a SN95 MA harness. Not hard just took time.

I do see the FITech side of it too....Self learning and all....

Tim

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Man, you have everything for Explorer EFI. I would consider that before I spent the money on FiTech.

I'd have to agree! You already have a Mass air, sequential system with the best ignition system ever created.... But I may be a little biased. ;D

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
And Garry is an AWESOME resource for the E.D.I.S. upgrade. :)

Yes he is....

Awesome resource as stated. He programmed my TM04 Mustang ECM and helped me with some wiring of relays for controlling my electric fan. Answered a couple questions on my harness as well.

Tim

OP
OP
TTTGOWYO

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Oh, never mind!! I see you on here. Reading this thread on my phone in the garage. Hard to see. Lol. I will msg you to discuss tomorrow.