• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Not a P or Q VIN like you are looking for, but a January 1973 build. I bought this from the second owner four years ago who had owned it for 35 years.

1/73 build date R02383 VIN
Has the dash light bars
Does not have the switch in the door jamb - rubber plug with non threaded holes
No switch on transmission
Manual steering & transmission
Has the fuel return system - see pic below
Only came with one tank from the factory, but I would assume that if it had the saddle tank that it would have had the six port switch.
J-Shift transfer case
It's also a Ranger, but does not have Ranger decals.

l.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here I go again...

Any reason to note whether or not they met "Federal" or "California" Emissions standards?
Could that have been something that determined some fuel or ambient options?
Maybe that's dictated by the DSO?

Sorry. :-[

Paul

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here I go again...

Any reason to note whether or not they met "Federal" or "California" Emissions standards?
Could that have been something that determined some fuel or ambient options?
Maybe that's dictated by the DSO?

Sorry. :-[

Paul

It's likely that the CA and Fed standards were different and it may have something to do with the fuel return and trans regulated spark. The DSO is probably the only clue as to CA or Fed. I will record it if provided.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Mine also has the fuel return line. Here are some pics for those who don't know what they are looking for. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364229519.723244.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364229538.023026.jpg

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok, I missed a few updates but I think I have it straight now.

One thing I notice is there are no Aug '72 production dates. Aug is typically when the model year rollover occurs but production doesn't usually completely stop. The reason for the stoppage may not have been due to any one thing. It may have been due to the many changes between '72 and '73. I think they mostly completed the late P's in Aug and then stored them until they could finish them in Sep-Oct. The VIN numbers had to progress sequencially on the assembly line because it's stamped on the frame, VIN plate, etc. The door sticker (along with completed date) could have been the last thing to be installed.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 58

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Interesting. I wonder if the Aug. lull at to do with new testing with the power steering, C4s, and J shifts and/or catching up with new production on them. Might be interesting to start gathering date code info from those '72-'73 people with tags still on their power steering boxes. The C4 would have a different date code than the Dana 20 tag, wouldn't it? I don't recall seeing a riveted C4 tag like on the 3 speeds.
I see a whole new thread developing here with fuel systems, carbs, and the various tank sizes and venting. The possibilities of Bronco geekdom are endless. ;D

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
This is the info I have for my wifes 73 its a later bronco and I dont have the door tag wih me.
VinR71873
dash lights
no return on fuel lines
C4
power steering
explorer package
Color code Y burnt orange (I never could find Y in a 73 color chart)
DSO17
no temp

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was checking my Marti Report today and while the build and release date for my Q235 was 9/72, the Sold date wasn't until May 1973. Maybe it was driven by the dealer for a while, or maybe it just sat on the lot for a while, but maybe they were building 1973's with a Q and inventorying them while they continued to build the Ps and sold them earlier for some reason, without the fuel returns? You might want to have folks check their "sold" date on their Marti report and see if the Q's were sold starting in the first few months of 1973 instead of when they were actually produced in late 1972

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is another one to put in the mix. My buddies '73 (Titled) Q50169 "T" shift, Auto tranny, P/S, not sure on light bars or fuel return yet.

Update on 89120 it is confirnmed:
It is a "T" shift
manual steering,
manual tranny
yes...dash light bars
no.... fuel return line
yes ...Ambiant Temp plate on door post

Blue71

Last edited:

adnedarn

I've only skimmed this so hopefully have the info you need....
*R201**
*1/26/73 build date
*yes dash light bars under light/hazard/wash etc
*I can't tell on the ambient temp- there is nothing there, but can't tell if they are threaded since it's been painted. Best guess: no. The transmission has a square headed plug in front of the shift arms- no sensor.
*had fuel return system 2 tanks million hose selector
*power steering
*J transfer case

Andrew

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've only skimmed this so hopefully have the info you need....
*R201**
*1/26/73 build date
*yes dash light bars under light/hazard/wash etc
*I can't tell on the ambient temp- there is nothing there, but can't tell if they are threaded since it's been painted. Best guess: no. The transmission has a square headed plug in front of the shift arms- no sensor.
*had fuel return system 2 tanks million hose selector
*power steering
*J transfer case

Andrew

That does help, thank you. Do you happen to know the DSO? I think Paul may be onto something with the fuel return and DSO. The returns seem to be spotty throughout the '73 year.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
District Sales Office. It's on the VIN tag. It tells the area of the country where it was first sold.

adnedarn

Ah, the original vin tag is gone I think, the one on the door jam is from state of Nevada... But I'm pretty sure it's some replacement thing.

adnedarn

Nope, it was there... I had to go to the shed and pull it out.. it's just been painted. Which of these numbers is it?

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Last set of numbers in the lower right. In this case, 76.

Attachments

• DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 66