• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Ford Bronco 302 - Radiator Replacement

SeaVee

Contributor
I’m putting a 77 back together. I have the original radiator, and it had no issues when we last drove it. But that was 25 years ago. Should I take it to my local radiator shop for a refresh or buy a new replacement? Motor will have a mild cam and 4 barrel Holley carb. Open to suggestions on which new one you would recommend. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No right or wrong answer to that.
If it worked before and didn’t leak, there’s a better than average chance that it’ll work fine and not leak right now.
You can always pressure test it yourself somehow, using gentle compressed air. Or you can take it to a radiator shop they usually test it for a minimal fee. And can fix it if needed.
Or you can install it and see if it leaks. Most of us have probably done all of the above at one time or another.

Even with a mild cam (how mild?), as long as the engine is tuned properly, it shouldn’t develop so much more heat that the radiator can’t handle it.

Not to say there aren’t plenty of good options these days. Just that if I had a stock one that was still in good shape, I’d be very inclined to reuse it.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
For me it would depend on how it was stored the last 25 years. If stored empty and open out in a barn I would probably take it in and have it boiled out and tested.
Stored properly sealed in a clean, dry garage with no critters, I'd run it with just water and watch for leaks. If no leaks, drain pure water and add the coolant mix.

My stock rad has been the most reliable for the last 30 years. I've tried others (mostly aluminum) when I first got the Bronco 'cause that's what the cool kids were doing (pardon the pun there) and found the aluminum rads didn't run any cooler than my stock and had a tendency to crack and leak at the welds.

Just my experience. Good luck in whichever direction you go!

SeaVee

Contributor
Stored in the garage since 1999. Think I am going to take it to our local radiator shop. He just cleaned my poly tanks and they came out spotless

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
I wouldn't hesitate to run the old radiator and continue having it repaired for as long as I could. I can only get a couple of years out of the cheap, chinese aluminum radiators.

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor
I got the new RobertTShat 195 thermostat in this past week and I am moving onto installing the new radiator;

3-core Aluminum Radiator from Tom's Off Road https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-3-core-aluminum-radiator

I am buying new radiator brackets and bushings also from Tom's.

Does anyone know if I will need to buy a fan spacer? To go from 3/4 to 1/2.

Does anyone know if my stock shroud will fit or should I buy the Tom's version: https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-v8-steel-radiator-fan-shroud

OP
OP
tonytony9

tonytony9

Contributor
I wouldn't hesitate to run the old radiator and continue having it repaired for as long as I could. I can only get a couple of years out of the cheap, chinese aluminum radiators.
Agreed. New one I am install is free from PO. Once this thing craps out I am brining the original radiator to a shop for a recore/repair.