• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 4BD1T Diesel & NV4500 conversion on 33's

Dbteak

What! You bought a window frame. You've built everything else from scratch.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Oh, btw, I just clicked on your other thread about that frame. Man, that sux, but I was referring to the cowling when I was talking about a bow and not the actual frame, but glad you checked that frame as well. My cowling was bowed into the cab 1/4" and I had to cut out the windshield pad on the cowling and move them out a bit to get the bolt to line up on the driver's side. This won't show as the windshield hinge and hood will hide it from the outside and the dash will hide it from the inside. It still bother's me, so when I get back in there I'm gonna fix it. I'll either push it out and try to fix it that way, or I'll just cut it and weld it back up. Not sure yet though.

The hassle of returning it to get another wasn't worth it to me, so I just burned it in and figured I'd deal with it later. Now, had I need the actual frame, I'd have done the same as you and returned it!!!

-Andy

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
What! You bought a window frame. You've built everything else from scratch.

HAHAHAHAHA, so true... You've disappointed us all Brad! :cry:

JK!!!!

-Andy

I got too much other things to work on to make one of those! HAHAHA

The vendor was understanding with my problem when I showed him the pictures. They even sent the new windshield frame when they seen the bent frame was picked up. :cool: So I thought that was very cool of them. I did not have to pay for shipping it back either.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Well, that's good! Oh, and I completely understand! have to draw the line somewhere or the project will never get finished!

-Andy

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got the rear coils mounted tonight but not fully welded in. I can do that later whenever I take the axle back out. They're welded enough to put weight on them. Simple design nothing fancy. They will be bolted in later also.

Attachments

• 248.JPG
    248.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 249.JPG
    249.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I have been working on the bronco but getting that windshield frame was driving me crazy due to some shifting while the firewall was cut out. I have off work tomorrow so hopefully I will get it right and start working on the firewall.

The windshield frame was making me mad so I wanted to work on something else. So I decided to work on motor mounts. The old ones I made were not pretty and I just wasn't happy with them. They were made from the ones that came on the engine when I removed them from the NPR. I decided to remake them and turned out much better. I might reinforce them a little more but you get the picture. It was very tight fit.

Here's a little fabrication trick I'll pass along, when need to make a bend in thicker metal. You cut through most of the way through then put the part in a vise and can either use a hammer or bend it by hand if cut it enough. Then once you get it where you want it you weld up the cuts you made.

Attachments

• 256.JPG
    256.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 253.JPG
    253.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 252.JPG
    252.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 254.JPG
    254.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 255.JPG
    255.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I almost didn't post a pic of the old engine mounts. I was a little embarrassed with the old ones but I feel like I redeemed myself with the new ones.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I had an exrtemely hard time with getting all the door gaps and hood gaps but I finally got it. Body lines are lined up very nicely and there is no rachet straps hold anything. Sweet success tonight. The hood is attached to the original two places from the stock cowl points with a new plate around them. It's not fully welded yet but that's the easy part. I'm not going to weld it until I get the firewall in so it will have enough reinforcement to minimize distortion. I'm starting to see the light and the end of the tunnel for the body work anyway. Then I can get on the easier stuff soon.

My after market turbo came in today :cool:
Gonna try to get 200 horse or more.

This weekend I will hopefully get the passenger striker panel on and get it to latch,maybe even get some of the firewall put together.

Attachments

• 259.JPG
    259.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 258.JPG
    258.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 257.JPG
    257.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
This is how I held the top and played around with it. These are jacks for a house for supporting joist. I just welded some legs on them and use the screw part for infinite adjustments. I don't use them for super heavy stuff ever.

Attachments

• 251.JPG
    251.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Didn't get to work on the bronco as much as I wanted to this weekend. My brother needed help with his project. That's alright, he's me plenty of times. I did get the passenger striker panel welded in along with the inner rear fender. Pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 261.JPG
    261.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 262.JPG
    262.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 263.JPG
    263.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Cool! I have to replace those striker panels on mine too. So, what sort of turbo is that?
-Andy

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Cool! I have to replace those striker panels on mine too. So, what sort of turbo is that?
-Andy

It's the Holset hx30 super. Guys on 4btswaps.com with this turbo are reporting boost pressures at 35 psi at 2000 rpms. That should be a good amount of power for this little rig.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would have to agree. That is some fine workmanship.