• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Bronco - Unique Features

thesnake

Bronco Guru
My first 66 half had an august build date. I had purchased it from iwlbcnu. Forgot what I had intended to say. Thank you for posting up the pics and info, I think that is pretty cool in itself.

John

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
66 Broncos have at least 3 different rear view mirrors, 2 are windshield frame mounted (typical for U13) and 1 is windshield glass mounted.

These are the two styles of frame-mounted mirrors I've seen.

Mine, although I was told my mirror was from a truck (F100/150?) and not original to my 66. Makes sense, since the mount covers the visor-mount dimples.
Aperture_19142AD5.png

66 Roadster:
66_Roadster_-_Exterior_04_jpeg_19142B81.png

Has anyone else seen other frame-mounted mirrors?

Edit: mine is definitely not original. Just found this on eBay. Looks like a previous owner simply cut down the mount on my mirror.

1962_1963_1964_1965_1966_Ford_F100_F250_F350_Truck_Rear_View_Mirror_WOW_Nice___eBay_191433E6.png

Would like to see what the other frame-mounted mirror looks like if anyone can post a photo.

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Here's a pic of my 66 mirror, no idea of originality, but given the shape of the mirror glass and the day/night tab, I'd guess no? Although my 66 Mustang had a day/night tab also.

Can anyone tell me how I can verify if my tailgate is a true 66? I read somewhere on here that the 66 tailgate was the only one worth anything more than minor repair?

Attachments

• RVMirror1.jpg
    RVMirror1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 142
  • RVMirror2.jpg
    RVMirror2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 121
  • Tailgate1.jpg
    Tailgate1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 152

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The one in your pic isn't a 66' tailgate. Where yours has the 67-77 "bump" along the top, a 66' has a ledge there.

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do not believe the 90 degree fill on the Dana 30 is original. I've had several 66's and none had that.

Hey Drew, all the early '66s I'v owned has had the brass elbow in the Dana 30. I also know it's a genuine Ford part because I bought an NOS one this summer and it was packaged small FoMoCo paper envelope with C6TZ number.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Hey Drew, all the early '66s I'v owned has had the brass elbow in the Dana 30. I also know it's a genuine Ford part because I bought an NOS one this summer and it was packaged small FoMoCo paper envelope with C6TZ number.

That's cool, the envelope is more rare than the part!

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
That's not uncommon find them swapped out. It you're doing a restoration or something and need one, I've got one leaning against the wall in the shop. It's red, but solid.

Yeah I'll send you a PM okie I really wanna keep it as original as possible. I've been known to go nuts with a build once I find out a major component isn't original, or at least period correct.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I have one that came in a little Fomoco box.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
So here's a much better pic of my rv mirror...anyone know if its a 66 or what it may be from?

Attachments

• Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 130

Hotfeet

I have a question. I have a 66 which I am restoring for my 16 year old son. I am pretty sure this bronco is mostly all original. It has the right grill, doors, top, handles, bumpers, etc. Here's the thing, it has 2 fuel tanks. It has the manual valve and fuel gauge and the original color matched everywhere. In the 66 photos I see I only notice 1 fuel tank. Did some 66 have 2 tanks???

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I have a question. I have a 66 which I am restoring for my 16 year old son. I am pretty sure this bronco is mostly all original. It has the right grill, doors, top, handles, bumpers, etc. Here's the thing, it has 2 fuel tanks. It has the manual valve and fuel gauge and the original color matched everywhere. In the 66 photos I see I only notice 1 fuel tank. Did some 66 have 2 tanks???

The literature that I've got says the extra tank was available as of 5/66'. Was yours built around that time or earlier? Since you mentioned grill, I'm assuming August-November of 65'?

Hotfeet

If I read it right its a November 65, build. So that makes sense. I have been seeing so many photos of 66 with only one tank I got questioning if this one was correct or not.
Thanks

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
If I read it right its a November 65, build. So that makes sense. I have been seeing so many photos of 66 with only one tank I got questioning if this one was correct or not.
Thanks

I'm thinking it was added by a previous owner then, although it seems "anything" might be possible with a 66' lol. :)

tortoiseracer

Loc.
Tempe
Vacuum windshield motor arms

Mine has little arms on the vacuum windshield wiper "motors" so you can move them with the motor off or when you need them to actually work ha ha. Looks all original, have them off cleaning them up. Anyone else seen this on theirs. Mine is a dec 65 build.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Mine has little arms on the vacuum windshield wiper "motors" so you can move them with the motor off or when you need them to actually work ha ha. Looks all original, have them off cleaning them up. Anyone else seen this on theirs. Mine is a dec 65 build.

I'm looking for some of those! like this, correct?

Attachments

• Vacuum Wiper Motor.jpg
    Vacuum Wiper Motor.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 151