• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Bronco Lean Question

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Well the extra wait kind of sucks. I thought it was kind of nice of them to offer new springs of course, but also thought that they could have saved themselves some time and money if they'd just swap the springs to see if the lean moves.
It "shouldn't" in this case I don't think, but you never know.

And new springs would have been a bonus!

Paul

It was a nice gesture but I still think they’re trying to see if that fixes the issue before they actually take it all apart to check for mistakes. I have a feeling that they did not do that even though they said they did.

I told him yesterday that I’d prefer to try this and if needs new springs then I’ll source my own. I still don’t think springs are the issue but I’ll let them get the idea out of their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

And if you do go with new springs, unless you want new fillings, get the progressive springs.

I talked to them again today and they told me that after looking at the springs they realized that the passenger and driver side are different and that it won’t accurately determine anything if they just swap sides. They told me that they’ve triple checked it again and everything is installed correctly.

I asked the shop owner what he would do if it was his and he said that he would heat up and stretch the “weak spring” by 1” (the amount it’s uneven according to him) and then reinstall and test drive. If it drives properly then he said he’d roll with it until it was time to replace the front and rear springs. He feels like replacing the front springs would cause it to sit too high in the front since the rear springs are probably sagging also.

I told him to go ahead and do that but that I’d come by tomorrow to look it over and settle up with him if I’m satisfied. According to the Wild Horses YouTube video, it looks as though it might be possible to visually check to see if the bushings are installed correctly so that’s what I’m planning to do.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
I would not be happy with the shop at all. That's such a band-aid solution it's not even funny. If things were fine before they tore into your front end, then it seems like something they did was incorrect.

At this point, I'd probably try to work the invoice price down, take it home, get a friend to come over, and just reinstall them myself. If the lean is still happening, then at least you know the bushings were properly installed and you can go from there.

Their solution is basically the same thing I posted a few days ago (I said they were going to install one new stock spring, and one with a lift)...except I was only kidding! :)

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know. If the spring was weak it would be sagging before the change. It seriously is very easy to just put the frame on 2 jack stands, unbolt the 2 castle nuts on the radius arms, pull them forward, and see how they hang, level or not. I'd try that before I'd be stretching springs. Stretching springs solves a symptom, not the problem. When I did mine, I had to go slowly back and forth tightening the C caps bolts just 1/4 turn and watch what happened to the arms. Every 1/4 turn on a cap moved the arms about 1/4 inch up or down depending on if I was tightening the top or bottom bolts.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I second the thought of rescuing the ride from them. If you heat a spring to stretch it you have to re-temper it so it will hold. I seriously doubt they have the equipment. If they don't re-temper it will sag even worse after you hit a few speed bumps. Also, I don't believe there is a difference in the springs, left or right.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

I don't know. If the spring was weak it would be sagging before the change. It seriously is very easy to just put the frame on 2 jack stands, unbolt the 2 castle nuts on the radius arms, pull them forward, and see how they hang, level or not. I'd try that before I'd be stretching springs. Stretching springs solves a symptom, not the problem. When I did mine, I had to go slowly back and forth tightening the C caps bolts just 1/4 turn and watch what happened to the arms. Every 1/4 turn on a cap moved the arms about 1/4 inch up or down depending on if I was tightening the top or bottom bolts.

That was my thought as well regarding the weak spring affecting its ability to sit level when I brought it in. Would the Radius Arms hang level if/after the spring is stretched? Also, will the truck drive funky if the bushings are installed incorrectly?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I talked to them again today and they told me that after looking at the springs they realized that the passenger and driver side are different and that it won’t accurately determine anything if they just swap sides.

Well, what do they mean by different? I think among the members viewing this thread I can comfortably say that NONE of them have ever seen a Ford Bronco/F100/F150 coil spring that had a left and a right. They don't exist except in custom or racing applications. None of the vendors (including us obviously) sell springs with a left and a right side. Even stock height.
And even MOOG Cargo-Coils (which are probably the springs they were going to source for you) do not come in left and right.

Many passenger cars, and maybe even a few trucks over the years have had lefts and rights, but I've never heard of any of our vintage Fords, or the manufacturers of aftermarket parts doing so.

Maybe someone here has though and can correct me if I'm wrong.
If your springs were different it's likely that one is sagged more than the other. If there is a label taped to the coil with a left and a right, we'd love to see them for reference materials here.

And besides all that, wasn't the point of swapping springs from side-to-side actually to verify that was the case? How does he know that the "left" spring wasn't actually installed on the passenger side then? Or if it's leaning due to uneven springs, then that's EXACTLY what would have fixed the problem in theory. Jeez, seems more complicated than it should be.

They told me that they’ve triple checked it again and everything is installed correctly.

I wonder what triple checking, or even double checking they can possibly do without actually taking it apart and doing it right?

I asked the shop owner what he would do if it was his and he said that he would heat up and stretch the “weak spring” by 1” (the amount it’s uneven according to him) and then reinstall and test drive.

Too much work and cost and sketchy results. Not going to happen in the real world. He would actually have just bought new springs.
I didn't look at other sources, but we sell a new pair of stock height coils for $135 bucks. I bet his cost on a set of MOOG coils is probably in the $100-120 range. How much does it cost to heat and stretch a coil and not ruin it's rate from the heat? Heck, you're not even supposed to cut a coil with a torch because it ruins the coil! That's why the go-to tool for cutting springs is a cutoff wheel. Less heat.
And any equipment and labor time to stretch a coil probably costs that much or more per coil.

He feels like replacing the front springs would cause it to sit too high in the front since the rear springs are probably sagging also.

Then he's lost in the middle of this and not thinking correctly. He's correct about the possibility, but way off on whether it's a hassle enough to avoid or not.
After all the time and money spent on experimentation they'd have been better off with new coils and let the chips fall where they may.
It's a simple matter (and I think this has been mentioned before) to verify where the springs sit right now. Simply measure between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rails. The front should be near enough to 7" as to not matter. The rear will be near enough to 6 inches. That is "stock" (well, stock-ish) height and you can see from those measurements if your rears and/or fronts are sagged and by approximately how much.
If the rears are sitting at 5" then yes, putting new coils in the front might make it higher in the front. But with a leaf spring a very simple 1" block would take care of that in a jiffy. No guesswork on leaf springs.
An add-a-leaf would do the job too. But with all the money you've spent at a shop to have them do the work, the cost of new rear springs to match the fronts is not actually that onerous.
I realize I'm being pretty cavalier with your money, but it's true. At some point new stuff is worth it. If not, then stop-gap measures like blocks or add-a-leaves are perfectly viable alternatives. They both have their distinct negative aspects of course, but both are doable.

According to the Wild Horses YouTube video, it looks as though it might be possible to visually check to see if the bushings are installed correctly so that’s what I’m planning to do.

What degree bushings did you use again? With 4's and 7's it's pretty easy to see. The 2 degree bushings are a bit more finicky when it comes to visual clues.

But none of that is the point here at all anyway. You can get the bushings oriented correctly and still have installed them incorrectly. The whole point of this thread was not only to make sure that they were "oriented" properly for caster correction, but that they were "installed" in the proper manner so as to get them to cooperate and have your vehicle not lean do to improper technique. Not direction, but technique.
If they didn't do it just like we described, they didn't do it correctly. And most shops don't. It takes too much time to do it the right way and most of them don't even know there is a "right" way. They just don't do it enough, or if they do and have not run into the problem before this, then they haven't had to deal with it.
And most of them don't have time to hang out here on the forums to look up the minutiae of a small job that they know how to do by the book. And most of the books didn't tell you these little tidbits that we've learned from 50 years of experience.
We should not expect every automotive shop to be intimately familiar with vehicle details that went out of production 40 years ago. But I think you're getting at least a minimal runaround so they don't have to deal with something they think you're probably smoking crack on and don't believe that the customer can possibly know more than they do. Especially when it costs them money. As all this is doing.

Anyway, good luck with picking it up. But take a tape measure with you to compare the four corners of the apocalypse and see just how much things are off. And more importantly, where they are off.
And ask them before you leave just how they determined that the two coils were different.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That was my thought as well regarding the weak spring affecting its ability to sit level when I brought it in.

It's always hard to compare a before and after when you don't really know how much of the before was just all the parts wearing at their own rate and making things seem level when they in fact would not have been otherwise.
But in this case since you only changed the bushings, the possibility of the problem lying with the bushings goes up exponentially.

Would the Radius Arms hang level if/after the spring is stretched?

No. Their level or not position has nothing to do with the spring and 100% to do with the C-bushings. The only exception to that would be if the pads were welded to the tubes incorrectly (it's happened) or the arms themselves were bent (which happens as well).
The results of a modified spring would be the same however, in that the vehicle could then sit level even if the c-bushings were putting pressure on the torsion bars known as the radius arms.
The downside of this method is that it does not fix the underlying problem so that when you put new springs in eventually it will go back to leaning.

Also, will the truck drive funky if the bushings are installed incorrectly?

If by "incorrectly" you mean upside down and backwards, or incorrectly positioned, then yes. And no...
Broncos can drive funky for all sorts of reasons, and they can drive perfectly fine when things are wrong sometimes too. But basically yes, if the C-bushings are in wrong the caster will be off and it won't drive correctly.
But if the installation methods were incorrect only, and the bushings were in their proper positions, then it will drive fine (for that particular Bronco) and the only clue it was done without care is that the truck will lean to one side or the other.

Bottom line though is that the only thing this lean effects is your visual happiness. It's not dangerous and won't ruin your driving pleasure.
And it will also possibly work itself out. These old trucks don't do anything very consistently except for be inconsistent. Even when all the original stuff is used, you can go around one corner, park it and come out the next day to find it leaning to one side. Next time you drive it might sit level or skewed to the other side.
The hope is that you at least start from a level position though, so that any leaning in the future is just temporary.

Paul

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

So I decided to just go up there on my lunch break and look at it. The entire passenger side (front & back) is sitting higher than the driver side. I’m totally confused and his solution was actually to heat up the passenger side coil and lower it to match the driver side.

I spoke to someone at one of the big Bronco parts houses and he thinks that the issue is incorrectly tightened C Bushing caps and he said that it would be easy for me to check possibly correct at home. If that’s the case then I’m just going to have him leave it alone and I’ll pick it up tomorrow and mess with it.

e60d08630b7e178314ee011ae7e1d40c.heic
26494ede376526af37115abf3fdca47f.heic
92a58ecfe7c8e9c764ba5670f852617f.heic
a52dab48aeaf249ce00c6ea4ba95cb4e.heic
70261591ae45408533266a2981d732b1.heic
3595ff331c7ac55569fc20a7848de3e0.heic

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is no right or left spring. They're the same spring. Looking at the top of the spring housing the Driver's side curves around the front and the Passenger side curves around the back because it's the same spring just on the other side of the vehicle. (see pictures).

So, how can we check EASILY to see if it's a weak spring, or the arms are not level. The easiest was is to raise the truck up by the frame and let the wheels hang. If the arms aren't level, one tire will hang lower than the other tire. In your case the passenger tire will hang lower than the drive's tire.

Attachments

• IMG_5858.jpg
    IMG_5858.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
So I decided to just go up there on my lunch break and look at it...

Everything looks super dry. Did they use any lube, dish soap, or anything? If you end up pulling those off to verify yourself, make sure you lube the snot out of everything. Should help when tightening.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Everything looks super dry. Did they use any lube, dish soap, or anything? If you end up pulling those off to verify yourself, make sure you lube the snot out of everything. Should help when tightening.

They did and it’s hard to tell from those pics.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

There is no right or left spring. They're the same spring. Looking at the top of the spring housing the Driver's side curves around the front and the Passenger side curves around the back because it's the same spring just on the other side of the vehicle. (see pictures).

So, how can we check EASILY to see if it's a weak spring, or the arms are not level. The easiest was is to raise the truck up by the frame and let the wheels hang. If the arms aren't level, one tire will hang lower than the other tire. In your case the passenger tire will hang lower than the drive's tire.

I told them not to mess with it any more and that I’d pick it up in the morning. Tomorrow is my day off and I’ve had a new set of wheels sitting at the dealership I work for so I’ll probably swing it by here and have the new wheels put on. That way I can see easily if one tire drops down further than the other when it’s up on the lift. I’ll plan taking measurements and asking about how the know that the coils are not able to be swapped!

Last edited:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
THERE seems to be something amiss with the drivers side c-bushing. if you notice the passengers looks nice and tight against the wedges and c cups but the drivers looks like it was squished in there instead of installed. when you get it home watch the video on wild horses website on bronco lean and remove everything in the front end and slide the diff and radius arms out as one piece just far enough for the arms to drop to the floor. i bet that one arm touches the ground first. they should both touch at the same time. if not you need to adjust that. takes several tries but just be patient.

also make sure the track bar isnt binding up and that the radius arms are not bent. if they removed the arms and one was bent and then put in upside down, this would cause the same thing as the c-bushing lean problem. in the old days a common way to align the front end on our rigs was to heat up the radius arm and bend it for camber/caster. if you had a bent arm for alignment from the old days and it was put in upside down then all the angles would be off and out of alignment too

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Good eye, Crush. You know, if you look at the threads on the c cap bolts on the drivers and passenger sides, the threads look clean until the last 1/4". Almost as if the bolts were backed out, but not removed entirely, during installation. This would support your theory, Crush.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I told them not to mess with it any more and that I’d pick it up in the morning. Tomorrow is my day off and I’ve had a new set of wheels sitting at the dealership I work for so I’ll probably swing it by here and have the new wheels put on. That way I can see easily if one tire drops down further than the other when it’s up on the lift. I’ll plan taking measurements and asking about how the know that the coils are not able to be swapped!

When it's up in the air and the wheels are off, measure from a set point. Like maybe the arm just behind the shock mount to the frame on both sides. The other issue I didn't think about is you'll have to disconnect the shocks so they don't hold the front axle up.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
THERE seems to be something amiss with the drivers side c-bushing. if you notice the passengers looks nice and tight against the wedges and c cups but the drivers looks like it was squished in there instead of installed. when you get it home watch the video on wild horses website on bronco lean and remove everything in the front end and slide the diff and radius arms out as one piece just far enough for the arms to drop to the floor. i bet that one arm touches the ground first. they should both touch at the same time. if not you need to adjust that. takes several tries but just be patient.

also make sure the track bar isnt binding up and that the radius arms are not bent. if they removed the arms and one was bent and then put in upside down, this would cause the same thing as the c-bushing lean problem. in the old days a common way to align the front end on our rigs was to heat up the radius arm and bend it for camber/caster. if you had a bent arm for alignment from the old days and it was put in upside down then all the angles would be off and out of alignment too

You can't install radius arms upside down, because of the threaded hole for the lower coil cups.

Mark

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
i have seen a set that were drilled on both sides, top and bottom. also if one was bent for alignment, say the drivers side and it set level. when they put them back on and mixed up sides if the drivers side had been bent to push up to correct camber on the drivers wheel then that arm got installed on the passenger side by mistake then it would create a lean as described by 73AB. just things to check on.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
THERE seems to be something amiss with the drivers side c-bushing. if you notice the passengers looks nice and tight against the wedges and c cups but the drivers looks like it was squished in there instead of installed.

I agree. There's something wonky about that bushing.
Why not order another set and start over? The cost is minimal.

But this time do yourself a favor and do the work yourself. It's one of the easiest jobs on a Bronco, and every Bronco owner should experience it.