• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another bronco lean issue

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ive searched/read most leaning threads...

today, i thought i would investigate the front some. being that its sunday, i didn't want to go so deep, that it would cost me all day.

a little history, i swapped out a WH's 5.5" lift-11 leaf/rock crawler coils for a used JD's 3.5" 11 leaf and my used 3.5" cage coils which i used on my rock crawler before.

for some reason, the rears seemed worn out, not willing to support any loads in the rear. didnt sit level either. so i just found a complete set of WH's 3.5" 11 leafs with extreme ubolt plate/kit. these springs sat better, more level and can handle some weight. the bronco has no body lift, has a protofab family cage and rear bumper w/tire carrier. im only running 33" tires. so i know the tire isnt weighing my truck down.

i measured a few things today, and see atleast 1.5" difference between sides. the whole pass side is lower. also when i "get on it"...i feel a lot of weight transfer to the rear pass side. the lift kit was swapped out using a car lift(in the air)

so i figured i would do some of what WH's laid out in there tech section for bronco lean. i also wanted to replace the stock lower coil buckets with the one from James Duff. the cage coils wouldnt sit right in the stockers.

it took some trimming to the WH's riser to use the JD buckets. while i was there, i loosened the radius arms on both sides and slowly tightened them using the X pattern. i was hoping this might relieve some binding from installing in the air on a lift.

i noticed a couple things i will have to address soon. the driver side knuckle needs ball joints, also i measured from the JD arm frame mount bolt to the shock mount and saw a 1/8" difference. pass side was 36"...driver side was 35-7/8". i know i need to really do what WH said about leveling the radius arms to the floor while mounted on the axle but didnt want to get carried away today being sunday. id rather start this on a fri evening and maybe with some extra help. also i was sure how well that leveling would work with these duff arms.

feel free to post up some ideas. i even swapped coils from side to side...it was hard to tell, but driver side looked a hair longer, so i tried that too with no luck. i guess ill be back under the front trying more stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20111127_134913.jpg
    IMG_20111127_134913.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20111127_141302.jpg
    IMG_20111127_141302.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20111127_145749.jpg
    IMG_20111127_145749.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20111127_145816.jpg
    IMG_20111127_145816.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 40

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
A few ideas:

- Gain a few hundred pounds- that should even it out.
- Run some 36's on the right side.
- Cut and weld the spring mounts 1.5" lower on the Pass side.

How's that? :D

I know you mentioned the thought of cutting the front springs down an inch. Did you do that?

When it sits on all 4's can you tell if the rear springs or the front springs are acting worse, or is it the same right to left both front and rear?

Are the rear shackle bolts tight? If so, loosen them up and see if it will settle any.

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Your going to have to drop the arms to a level floor retighten the C caps keeping both arm ends on the ground. sorry thats how it gets fixed.