• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np205 fit issues?

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
My exhaust is custom. the mufflers are outside the frame rails and it dumps in front of the rear tires. I've read on here that you can clock the 205 to make room for more conventional routing... no 1st hand experience though...

For the shifters, they are pretty much in the same location. My access hole has been opened up over the years... working on an aluminum cover plate... another partially done project. :)

Any chance of getting two pictures of the hole in the tunnel for the sticks. Length and width with a tape measurer next to the hole so I can see exactly where to cut. I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

BoulderMike22

For what it’s worth, when I tried to put a NP205 behind a ZF5, it required me to notch the frame so I decided to go with the D20 with adapter instead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t120r

Odd that you had to notch the frame. I have a big block ZF, with the external slave cylinder and an NP205. I must have 3/8" to 1/2" clearance between the NP205 and the frame. Are you sure you offset your mount 1" to the passenger side as per stock specs?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Any chance of getting two pictures of the hole in the tunnel for the sticks. Length and width with a tape measurer next to the hole so I can see exactly where to cut. I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Here they are, sorry for the delay...
A couple caveats:
I have a 2" body lift. If you are running less, your opening will probably be smaller.
I am running a custom twin stick. Actually 2 Ford shifters on a custom shoulder bolt. used threaded rods and rod ends for the linkages.

I think your best bet is to just go for it and get everything in place and then drop in your shifter to scope out what you need to do next...

hope this helps...

Attachments

• IMG_4431[1].jpg
    IMG_4431[1].jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4432[1].jpg
    IMG_4432[1].jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 65

Mikesimp70

Last set is the 205 installed in the truck. In addition to the custom cross member, I made another support that ties into the inspection cover. Used a thicker piece of stock to replace the cover... I also used the factory mount for the 205 on the drivers side rear.

The 205 is about 30-40 pounds heavier than the Dana 20. In my opinion, you want more support for the 205 more due to the aluminum adapter housing and the tiny metric screws...

Probably leaving out details... any questions, fire away!

Sanndmann, where did you find the factort 205 mount between your crossmember and the transfer case?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
If you are talking about the rubber mount, It came off the donor Explorer that provided the transmission and adapter housing. Specifically, 98 Explorer, but any 96-01 will do.

Mikesimp70

If you are talking about the rubber mount, It came off the donor Explorer that provided the transmission and adapter housing. Specifically, 98 Explorer, but any 96-01 will do.

Got it! My bad, I was rhinking both were attached to the transfer case. Old eyes on a i-phone screen! I see now the cross member is attached to the tail housing of the 4R. Thanks.

dieselfarmer

Contributor
Rather than post on a new thread, I thought it prudent to add this post. in case future folks that are searching want to see more pics of a trans cross member. See pics of the homemade brackets for the 4R70W with NP205. The 4R cross member is made of 1.75" square tubing (I had left over from another project) and is reinforced on one side with steel angle - The black colored mount from the cross member to the 4R is from a fox mustang T5 application. The NP mounts are designed to take some pressure off the trans and cross member.

Planning to run exhaust below the brackets. Angle at the top of the intake is running ~2.7 degrees. I have a ~1.5" body lift and no suspension lift. I don't have the tub on yet and don't know the pinion angle. Any thoughts on whether these brackets are stout enough and whether the pinion angle will work? Thanks!

Attachments

• Bronco np205 bracket 2.jpg
    Bronco np205 bracket 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Bronco np205 bracket 3.jpg
    Bronco np205 bracket 3.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 32
  • Bronco np205 bracket 4.jpg
    Bronco np205 bracket 4.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Bronco np205 bracket.jpg
    Bronco np205 bracket.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 33

dieselfarmer

Contributor
A little ugly with amateur welds, but here's another pic of the 4R70W cross member for reference.

Attachments

• Bronco np205 bracket 5 mod.jpg
    Bronco np205 bracket 5 mod.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 21

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Rather than post on a new thread, I thought it prudent to add this post. in case future folks that are searching want to see more pics of a trans cross member. See pics of the homemade brackets for the 4R70W with NP205. The 4R cross member is made of 1.75" square tubing (I had left over from another project) and is reinforced on one side with steel angle - The black colored mount from the cross member to the 4R is from a fox mustang T5 application. The NP mounts are designed to take some pressure off the trans and cross member.

Planning to run exhaust below the brackets. Angle at the top of the intake is running ~2.7 degrees. I have a ~1.5" body lift and no suspension lift. I don't have the tub on yet and don't know the pinion angle. Any thoughts on whether these brackets are stout enough and whether the pinion angle will work? Thanks!
This is not my area of expertise, but I recently read a discussion in @1969 's build thread with info from @Yeller on the problems of using mounts for both trans & t-case. If you start with this post & read on down thru post 128 he covers the how & why:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/1969s-build-thread.314548/page-6#post-3534264

Last edited:

dieselfarmer

Contributor
The single mount is more than sufficient. Adding support just adds forces that far exceed the loads you are trying to mitigate.
Yeller - Are you suggesting the better approach is to build a single cross member mount only for the NP205 and remove the mount for the 4R70W? I would think just having the single cross member mount at the 4R location (without supporting the NP) would be asking for trouble. I think the NP weighs around ~90 pounds.

Contributor
The NP205 weighs about 140lbs. The Dana 20 weighs about 80lbs. And the Borg Warner 1356 that came behind the ZF5 weighs about 100lbs.

dieselfarmer

Contributor
The single mount is more than sufficient. Adding support just adds forces that far exceed the loads you are trying to mitigate.
What do you think about using a single mount on the NP205 based on the below photo? I would insert the fox mustang bushing mount in the location of the Blue/red box.
The NP205 weighs about 140lbs. The Dana 20 weighs about 80lbs. And the Borg Warner 1356 that came behind the ZF5 weighs about 100lbs.

The NP didn't feel that heavy, but it was heavy! Thanks for the info.

dieselfarmer

Contributor
Here is a concept to consider. If a single cross member is best for purposes of the flexing frame causing issues with the drive-train, how about using a single mount for the 4r70W and NP205 based on the attached pic and insert the fox mustang rubber mount in the location of the blue/red box? I could modify the fox mustang mount to work in this application. I really don't want to re-think my mounts, but Mr. Yeller has made a good point about flex.

Attachments

• Bronco NP 205 Mount Concept.jpg
    Bronco NP 205 Mount Concept.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 27

Contributor
There is a poly bushing at the T junction before it mounts to the case.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yeller - Are you suggesting the better approach is to build a single cross member mount only for the NP205 and remove the mount for the 4R70W? I would think just having the single cross member mount at the 4R location (without supporting the NP) would be asking for trouble. I think the NP weighs around ~90 pounds.
No issue using just the 4r mount. The tcase is heavy but there are a lot of 203/205 doublers out there on the same single mount.
Here is a concept to consider. If a single cross member is best for purposes of the flexing frame causing issues with the drive-train, how about using a single mount for the 4r70W and NP205 based on the attached pic and insert the fox mustang rubber mount in the location of the blue/red box? I could modify the fox mustang mount to work in this application. I really don't want to re-think my mounts, but Mr. Yeller has made a good point about flex.
As a single crossmember, yes that would work.

dieselfarmer

Contributor
No issue using just the 4r mount. The tcase is heavy but there are a lot of 203/205 doublers out there on the same single mount.

As a single crossmember, yes that would work.
Thanks for the reply!

dieselfarmer

Contributor
Gm went away from the dual frame mounts and started using a rod from the bell housing to the tcase for support.
Any chance you could post a pic of the GM support rod from the Bell to transfer case? I did some searching and haven't found it. Thanks!