• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Coyote?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been a long time since I’ve been active in the Tech section. Anyone that has read my activity in Off Topic knows that the doctors have made made my retirement plans challenging. Still considering either selling or continuing my project. Just for yucks, what is the best coyote configuration for an EB? Engine, transmission, control system….

Thanks, Dave…

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have a Gen 2 motor with 6R80. Ford motorsports control pack. It works great. I dont know if the gen 3 has a control pack for auto trans and I think the 10 speed is way over kill in a Bronco.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did Ford ever change the oil pump drive to a toothed belt? They have been doing that to a lot of there engines in the past few years.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
I’m planning on doing a gen 3 with 6R80 trans with a stand alone controller for the trans. Ford has the control pack for both manual and auto, but the auto is only for the 10R80. So manual with a stand alone. But then Ford goes and throws a wrench into my plans and releases the gen 4 the other day so finding a gen 3 in a crate just became harder.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dave. Good luck with whatever it is that has been dogging you lately.
But just to be clear, did this project originally include a Coyote swap?
I ask, because if not, I think contemplating a Coyote swap at this stage will likely sway your decision to sell, rather than continue.
But then, that’s just me!
I’m still more a fan of the simplicity (and cost!) of the original engine family. Just out of a newer vehicle.

Good luck either way!

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dave. Good luck with whatever it is that has been dogging you lately.
But just to be clear, did this project originally include a Coyote swap?
I ask, because if not, I think contemplating a Coyote swap at this stage will likely sway your decision to sell, rather than continue.
But then, that’s just me!
I’m still more a fan of the simplicity (and cost!) of the original engine family. Just out of a newer vehicle.

Good luck either way!

Just pondering for now. I started the project too long ago with a 5.0 engine and transmission out of a 1998 explorer. Made good progress until life events put it on hold.

What’s the latest in getting a control system for that setup or has anyone figured out how to reprogram them to be a bit more user friendly?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not finish the Explorer swap?

Do you already have the harness from EFIGuy?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just get a 4x4 f150 coyote delivered , throw an atlas or Dana 20 adapter behind it, amd roll on.

You have to get them to add a power steering pump, but they will do that for you.

Pretty cool

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not finish the Explorer swap?

Do you already have the harness from EFIGuy?
Years ago I scored a real nice 94 wrecked Mustang 5.0 HO that I installed in my 1983 FSB with a ZF 5 speed. I cleaned up the harness and used the emissions equipment so it would pass the Colorado inspections, Came out great and ran beautifully. I got a 3 part article published in Bronco Driver.

I picked up a nice rust free 69 EB with a bad engine and 3 on the tree. Picked another 94 doner mustang that turned out to be junk. Bought a nice running 98 explorer 5.0 auto. Made a lot of progress and had a thread going. That is in archives. “ODB Next Generation”.

The project got stalled with a house remodel, job change, health issues, and a move back home to Michigan to care for my folks. Long story short, I need to do something with the Bronco. I’ve been intrigued with the coyote transplants But am considering completing the explorer engine install. The explorer engine ran “ok” on the stand but is pretty high milage and should be overhauled. I was originally planning on installing all of the emissions gear to make it Colorado compliant. That’s a lot of equipment from that 98 explorer. Plus the damned PATS.

If an aftermarket control system is available for the Explorer 5.0 / 4RW70W I’d be interested on continuing that path.

Is EFI guy still around? what was he selling?

LHardin

I’m planning on doing a gen 3 with 6R80 trans with a stand alone controller for the trans. Ford has the control pack for both manual and auto, but the auto is only for the 10R80. So manual with a stand alone. But then Ford goes and throws a wrench into my plans and releases the gen 4 the other day so finding a gen 3 in a crate just became harder.
Have you talked with Travis at Power By The Hour about what you are wanting. I know that he can steer you in the correct direction. He has helped me out with my Gen 3 and a 6R80 since I absolutely hate (yes HATE) the 10R80 on a 4x4.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Years ago I scored a real nice 94 wrecked Mustang 5.0 HO that I installed in my 1983 FSB with a ZF 5 speed. I cleaned up the harness and used the emissions equipment so it would pass the Colorado inspections, Came out great and ran beautifully. I got a 3 part article published in Bronco Driver.

I picked up a nice rust free 69 EB with a bad engine and 3 on the tree. Picked another 94 doner mustang that turned out to be junk. Bought a nice running 98 explorer 5.0 auto. Made a lot of progress and had a thread going. That is in archives. “ODB Next Generation”.

The project got stalled with a house remodel, job change, health issues, and a move back home to Michigan to care for my folks. Long story short, I need to do something with the Bronco. I’ve been intrigued with the coyote transplants But am considering completing the explorer engine install. The explorer engine ran “ok” on the stand but is pretty high milage and should be overhauled. I was originally planning on installing all of the emissions gear to make it Colorado compliant. That’s a lot of equipment from that 98 explorer. Plus the damned PATS.

If an aftermarket control system is available for the Explorer 5.0 / 4RW70W I’d be interested on continuing that path.

Is EFI guy still around? what was he selling?
I remember now you were the first guy that got an Explorer running , I followed that thread.

EFIGuy , Gary Vance, you just mail him the Explorer harness and computer, he removes Pat's and everything you don't need like the post catalytic converter O2 sensors, label about 3 power wires and even wires that can run your tach, back up lights and stuff and mails it back.

I can send you his email.

I've used him several times, he is in Colorado and active with the Colorado bronco club

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Have you talked with Travis at Power By The Hour about what you are wanting. I know that he can steer you in the correct direction. He has helped me out with my Gen 3 and a 6R80 since I absolutely hate (yes HATE) the 10R80 on a 4x4.
I haven’t spoken with them yet. I’ve watched several of their YouTube videos and have checked out their website. One small issue is I’m in Canada so I’d like to be able to source the engine and trans up here to save on shipping costs.

LHardin

I haven’t spoken with them yet. I’ve watched several of their YouTube videos and have checked out their website. One small issue is I’m in Canada so I’d like to be able to source the engine and trans up here to save on shipping costs.
I'm sure that if you share your concern with Travis, he will do what he can to find the best shipping solution for you.