• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best of both worlds build

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Got the frame chopped and putting it back together today with the modifications to make the suspension work.

Got the atlas clocked flat so we had to put a notch in the floor to tuck it up but it made a huge improvement in driveshaft clearance between the 1350 CV joint on the front output of the Atlas and the 10R80 transmission. Widening the frame helps in so many ways.

With the wider frame rails we dropped the Coyote motor 2" from where it would have mounted with the BC Broncos motor mounts so I can clear the Coyote with stock hood and no body lift. Relocating the front crossmember will make things easier with the coyote as well.

We are able to fit 18" rear coilers and 16" front coilovers while maintaining the lower stance. The challenge up front is the combination of coiler and bypass shock take up some real estate so we are still negotiating that.
Okay. That’s not nice to tease us. Can’t you see that’s just cruel and inhumane treatment???🤪

Randy

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Pictures of the Atlas tucked up into the firewall. I still need to drop the body down to the frame and lower the Coyote 2". Transmission will be tucked up nicely and Atlas flat. The Tom's Offroad Crossmember will be going away and I will make one. Cutting the floor to clock the Atlas up solved so many issues. In the traditional configuration you cannot use a 1350 joint on the front output of the Atlas because it is clocked to the bottom corner of the 10r80. With it flat it clears nicely. Also, the crossmember had to hang down to make a route for the front driveshaft but it can now be nice and flat.

Also picture of where I cut the frame and the new fabricated rail to mate with it. We moved it out to run directly under the body mounts and will weld in support tubes where the body mount go. Still going to modify the front of the rail to angle in to meet the stock front bumper location.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1662.jpeg
    IMG_1662.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1663.jpeg
    IMG_1663.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1664.jpeg
    IMG_1664.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
New frame rail mounted. We have the stock frame from just behind the Atlas back and this now kicks out at that point and runs directly under the body mounts going forward then jogs back to stock location after the engine. Putting tube through the frame for strength at the body mount points. It came out so well that we are doing the same on the other side. With the full width axles, and widening the frame, the engine bay has now become huge! I think I could run any Coyote oil pan and exhaust set up out there without issues. The 2008 Superduty front axle with the pumpkin way further to the driver side was a hassle with the stock frame width but now it makes clearance SO much easier. Everything functions and fits so much better now. Not sure why none of the aftermarket frame builders aren't being more aggressive and only adding 2" of width.

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpeg
    IMG_1685.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 28

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice.. Best of luck w/progress. one thing at a time right

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Frame rails finally completely mocked up. I think I have plenty of room now for full length Coyote headers. Will be moving the inner fenders out soon. They are way too far in for full width axles.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 28

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Wow, nice. I’m watching your build! Ever meet JD (74BroncoCO on here)? He lived in Falcon but moved quite a few years back. Knew him from a different forum thats gone now.

OP
OP
Colo77Bronco

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I haven't but I am going to go look at his posts. My previous build was from about 2005 through 2015 until I was forced to sell it so I have been out of the game for a few years.