• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering won't return to center

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Manual steering returned to center just fine.
Installed Duffs #3221 conversion kit, with a 3-1/3 ratio box, in 2003.
Box is a remanufactured box by AGR.
Steering did not return to center. It stayed wherever it was pointed when I let go of steering wheel. I blamed 0° caster (with 4° ‘C’ bushings), and lived with it.
Added tie rod over kit, adjustable trac bar and riser bracket to eliminate bump steer.
Did cut n’ turn of inner Cs, caster is now 6° and steering still does not return to center.
At this point I am blaming box.
Would you send box out for rebuild, or buy new?

1712174831085.png

1712174852089.png

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I personally have had two things cause this problem - worn out steering box and believe it or not, the steering wheel nut being too tight. The steering wheel nut only happened with aftermarket steering wheels, so if you're running an OEM steering wheel, that's probably not your issue.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ball joints too tight?

Sounds like something is binding up. Can't really diagnose what is binding over the internet.
It might be internal to the steering box, or it might not be.

joshua

Contributor
One time I had the u-joints in the axles frozen. Would not let it center.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There's Lee's power steering in California or west Texas off road for rebuilds. But it sounds like more troubleshooting is in order first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your steering system of old, had lots of leverage against a manual steering box. So if your vehicle was inclined to return to center, the manual gearbox didn’t resist it.
The power steering box on the other hand, flips that ratio 180°. Now your steering box has all leverage against everything else, and everything else has a hard time pushing against the steering box.
Not just due to it being power assist, but changing the ratio ads even more.
Now, like the others have said, it may very well be a case of re-tuning the gearbox. But I’m inclined to suspect that you won’t be gaining a great deal.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Manual steering returned to center just fine.
Installed Duffs #3221 conversion kit, with a 3-1/3 ratio box, in 2003.
Box is a remanufactured box by AGR.
Steering did not return to center. It stayed wherever it was pointed when I let go of steering wheel. I blamed 0° caster (with 4° ‘C’ bushings), and lived with it.
Added tie rod over kit, adjustable trac bar and riser bracket to eliminate bump steer.
Did cut n’ turn of inner Cs, caster is now 6° and steering still does not return to center.
At this point I am blaming box.
Would you send box out for rebuild, or buy new?
I've got a 4 turn Factory Saginaw box that is known good. You can bolt it on and run it and see if it makes your problem go away.

You can borrow it for free. Just come get it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Not that it matters, but didn't Duffs use converted Scout boxes for that kit? If so, I think I'd convert to a different box - seems like there are a lot more options for those now than we had in 2003. Hopefully all the stock mounting holes remain so a stock one could easily be installed.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drop the drag link. Engine off. Turn the steering wheel. Should turn super easy.
I would hate to think that someone "tightened it up" by over preloading the sector shaft.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Stock holes in frame, plus one added.
I wondered about over tightened sector shaft preload. Lossened it some, which resulted in sloppy steering, but still would not return to center.

Contributor
Sounds like a new steering box is in order to me

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Leaky orbital valve inside the box sounds like, pressures both sides of the piston making it hold unless physically being turned.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if I remember, you didn’t change tire and wheel sizes in that time. Correct?

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Good memory Paul, rims have been the same since the 70s, multiple sets of tires, but all have been 33-10.5 BFGs.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I don't see how the steering box would prevent your return to center unless something severally wrong with it. Seems more likely it's something else too tight like others already said.

Easy to rule it out with the offer from James before buying something you don't need.

Could also jack it up and see how hard to turn the tires with everything connected vs steering box disconnected. Should be hard to turn with the steering box connected, but you should be able to move the tires. If you can't, then when you disconnect and it's easy, then there ya go--it's likely the box.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I've got a 4 turn Factory Saginaw box that is known good. You can bolt it on and run it and see if it makes your problem go away.

You can borrow it for free. Just come get it.
James,

Thanks for the offer of loaning me a 4-turn steering box for trouble shooting.
I am confident that issue is in my current box and not the drag link, tie rod, ball joints, or steering column.
My understanding is that to install the factory box I will need to cut a clearance hole in the core support for the front of the box.
I am going to order a new box, and install it once, modifying sheet metal (if required) once.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
James,

Thanks for the offer of loaning me a 4-turn steering box for trouble shooting.
I am confident that issue is in my current box and not the drag link, tie rod, ball joints, or steering column.
My understanding is that to install the factory box I will need to cut a clearance hole in the core support for the front of the box.
I am going to order a new box, and install it once, modifying sheet metal (if required) once.
Nope, no clearance hole required. I’ve run many in the stock location. I don’t think it’s any bigger than your AGR box. If you have a body lift, then the lower lip of the core support needs to bend. Totally your choice. If my box fixes it, then we can rebuild your AGR box and put a new spool in it. Won’t cost much.