• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering

KW76

I am wondering how well a saginaw pump will work on my 76 Bronco with the stock steering box. Also I have been looking online at brackets for that pump. It will be bolting up to a 68 Mustang 302 engine. I am wondering if that bracket will put the pump pully out close to what I have now ( about 7 inches) so that it lines up with crank pully. I have emailed a couple manufacturers but have no response. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'd say there's likely more stock boxes being run with Saginaw pumps these days versus people still running the stock Thompson pumps. No issues at all. With the mix of engines, heads, water pumps, harmonic balancers, pulleys, etc, it's going to be impossible for a vendor to tell you if the Saginaw bracket they sell is going to line up with your application without issue. Odds are you'll need to do some spacing in or out to make everything line up straight and true.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is your existing bracket a stock eb bracket? If so I would think the vendor brackets for a Saginaw should match up. Is it v-belt or serpentine? That might make a difference.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if it’s truly a 68 Mustang engine, if the pulleys are still Mustang, the bronco setups might not line up.
However, I think most of them come with shims (washers) that can take up a certain amount of discrepancy in the alignment department.