• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Thoughts

rollrock77

So I'm thinking about going away from the holley carb and moving to a proflow 4. My main reasons being that I want to just turn the key, and not have to deal with carb issues, adjustments, etc. A few months ago it wouldn't stay running when stopped so I had to turn up the throttle position to give more gas to keep it running, but that results in higher RPM and I know there is an underlying issue yet to be resolved.
I also like the idea of modernizing the fuel system to be more reliable... However, my '73 isn't a daily driver so with the EFI sitting at times I'm wondering if I could end up having similar problems.
I'm willing to spend the $$ but also want to be cautious that its worth it... or knowing that I need to drive it every week or so (regardless of carb or EFI) to minimize issues.

The other piece is whether or not an aftermarket system is the right way to go. I've seen many happy with them, but also some that steer clear b/c of possible support issues in the future. I don't even know if Ford offers a kit, though I have my doubts... other than buying one with a new engine attached ;-)

Appreciate everyone's thought, thanks!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I have tried a couple of the throttle body efi kits and haven't had any long term success.

1.) Edelbrock EZ Street - worked ok for two years.....needed tweaks here and there but ran ok 'til it didn't. By that time support for that unit was done (something to consider as these newer models of easy efi kits continue to come out).

2.) Fitech - Never got it to work well enough to trust it in my driver. Gave it away after sending back multiple times.

I gave in and decided I had spent enough time and money on the throttle body kits. I was raised with carbs and know how they work and how to tune. Currently I run a small Holley 4bbl that is tuned well and I keep it that way. I run a AFR gauge in the dash to keep an eye on the tune. Lot's of times I find myself hopping into the truck and going on un-planned trips that could be 500+ miles each way and I don't worry about my carb like i did with my throttle bodies.

Now my Brother in-law went with the explorer swap with the stock efi and hasn't had to touch it. Been running it for ten years or so now and he loves it.

So for me, if you feel that you have to have EFI I would go with the original explorer setup.
Good luck with whichever direction you take! Just have fun with your ride!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Just replace the holley with an edelbrock or q-jet and the constant problems go away. The edelbrock/Carter are good for street use but if you go off road upgrade to the q-jet. If you q-jet go jet performance or there's another place guys on here recommend. It might be carbs unlimited

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I smell a carb vs. EFI debate coming.

I ran the stock 2b for 20 years and because my rig sat for long periods of time the carb would jell. I would have to clean it all out.

Went to a 351w and ditched the carb for SN95 Ford EFI. Some of the 351w specific parts were $$$ but the EFI has not been touched since install some 6 years ago. Hit the key and it fires right up no matter how long it has sat for.

I vote factor EFI. That said I plan to put Sniper on my big block Mach 1 someday.

Tim

Last edited:

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
I would make sure your underlying issues are actually related to the carb. It would suck to spend thousands on injection only to find you’ve got low compression or a cam on the way out. Use to deal with that all the time. Guys would come in claiming they needed a supercharger cause they didn’t feel like their car had the power it use to. Would turn out it really didn’t cause they had problems that a supercharger would only have made worse.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I ran a holley, no end of flooding and other problems.
Switched to a pro flo 4 (not throttle-body e-carb) and am super happy. Runs great!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just replace the holley with an edelbrock or q-jet and the constant problems go away. The edelbrock/Carter are good for street use but if you go off road upgrade to the q-jet. If you q-jet go jet performance or there's another place guys on here recommend. It might be carbs unlimited
Have Sean Murphy at SMI build you a custom q-jet
Cost me 800$ no core and it is fantastic on my FE motor.
Only other EFi I would even consider if Ford SEFI, nothing even close to it reliability/parts access

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you’re interested I have a complete Lighting lower/ Explorer setup with Aeroquip fuel rails, injectors and throttle body I won’t be using. Ran it on a mild 408 in my race Bronco so injectors and TB are pretty big. I’m build for a new class now so have to go back to carb. All powdercoated and pretty. Just need a computer. Using mine on another project.
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The ECM may be the hard part since EFI guy can no longer rework the ECM's
This is incorrect. I still rework harnesses and PCM's. I do limit what I'm willing to do as far as programming goes to make sure I don't violate federal regulations, but things like PATS deletes and gear calibrations are perfectly fine.

On the performance side of things, it's better to just talk to me to know what can and can't be done since every build is different, especially before you start buying parts.

OP
OP
rollrock77

rollrock77

Appreciate the replies guys! Not sure which route I'll go yet, but you've given me plenty of good options to think about. Going with a new/better carb seems pretty simple, maybe I just need to drive my baby more often (which I should anyway) or learn how to tune it. The EFI is still very interesting though!

This is going to sound dumb, but to clarify for me... when an explorer or sn95 swap is mentioned, are you talking just the the EFI or the entire motor? I wasn't necessarily wanting to swap the motor so that is why I'm asking. Showing my novice colors here ;-)

Thank you!

OP
OP
rollrock77

rollrock77

If you’re interested I have a complete Lighting lower/ Explorer setup with Aeroquip fuel rails, injectors and throttle body I won’t be using. Ran it on a mild 408 in my race Bronco so injectors and TB are pretty big. I’m build for a new class now so have to go back to carb. All powdercoated and pretty. Just need a computer. Using mine on another project.
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mark, still in the research and deciding stage at this point. Will let you know if I go this route and see if you still have it.
Mike

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't touched mine in about a year and a half. Reached in, pressurized the fuel and the FiTech did its job. Thing just fired up and idled like I shut it off yesterday. I could never do that with a carb and I don't get the lingering fuel odor in the garage that I did with the carb. I'm not fully confident in the long term of the FiTech, but EFI is sure nice.

Hallboss

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
That ProFlo kit looks like it's legit. My 73 came with the Holley Sniper EFI first gen, not the new and improved Sniper 2. It was a PITA to learn proper programing, but once I learned the system and the programing setup it has been a great match for my 302. No issues now for going on a year now. The biggest issue I discovered was RFI from the ford distributor/coil location to the Sniper module. Once I fabricated a polished diamond plate RFI block between the two, the damn thing runs great. Regardless... my experience with this setup and what I've read all over the internet, more than likely, whatever you choose there will be a learning curve and setup problem solving needed with any EFI installed. Good luck!

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Appreciate the replies guys! Not sure which route I'll go yet, but you've given me plenty of good options to think about. Going with a new/better carb seems pretty simple, maybe I just need to drive my baby more often (which I should anyway) or learn how to tune it. The EFI is still very interesting though!

This is going to sound dumb, but to clarify for me... when an explorer or sn95 swap is mentioned, are you talking just the the EFI or the entire motor? I wasn't necessarily wanting to swap the motor so that is why I'm asking. Showing my novice colors here ;-)

Thank you!
You would not have to swap the entire motor I believe but it might make more sense to if you go that route. Often easy to find a good motor with everything you need stock instead of finding all the parts to put on yours.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
You would not have to swap the entire motor I believe but it might make more sense to if you go that route. Often easy to find a good motor with everything you need stock instead of finding all the parts to put on yours.
If it were me and I was running a stock, flat tappet cam motor, I would swap the whole 9 yards from an Explorer in good shape....Tons of benefits and threads explaining them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
when an explorer or sn95 swap is mentioned, are you talking just the the EFI or the entire motor?
As the last replies indicated, it's either/or/both. Mostly they talk about doing the entire swap, but since most of the parts from the newer EFI engines bolt right on to the older carb'ed engines, you can go either way.
And it's been done both ways.

Like the others though, I'd rather see the entire new roller engine get installed. That way all the stuff is compatible (without any fiddling about) and it bolts right into your engine bay.
And you get the benefit of more power right from the factory, and the all-important roller cam setup. Along with better breathing heads and the nicely matched EFI intake stuff.

So you can do it either way. But I think more advantages are on the side of swapping the entire assembly, than are with converting the old engine over to new accessories.
But if you're dead set on keeping the original engine (nothing wrong with that), then you still have lots of options.

Paul