• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear upgrade with AX15

crsman2

Hi all, I know there are a lot of threads out there about swapping gear ratios when changing transmissions. So my apologies for repeating.

I have a 1969 with a D30 in front and the limited slip diff in the rear, both with stock 3.50 setups. Rolling on 33s.

I would like to upgrade to the AX15 5 speed and re-gear to 4.56 gears. I understand this can be done with a D44 in the front end but what would I need to do with the D30? Is it possible and if so, what all would it take?

Or is it really just better to swap in a D44? That seems like a huge job to me.

Contributor
Do you wheel the bronco? Or drive around town?
What size tires are you planning to run?
Why do you want to change the gears?
It can be done with the Dana 30.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

Do you wheel the bronco? Or drive around town?
What size tires are you planning to run?
Why do you want to change the gears?
It can be done with the Dana 30.
Mostly cruise around but occasionally do some light to maybe medium trails. Nothing too hard on it but enough I'll use 4 wheel drive. The main reason I want to change things is to get some more pep with the gears and 5 speed.

I have a 302 and plan on sticking with 33s...maybe 35s some day.

Contributor
If you’re wanting to go to 35s I’d find a Dana 44 but then again some people run a Dana 30 with 35s or even bigger and are not hard on them and they hold up.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

If you’re wanting to go to 35s I’d find a Dana 44 but then again some people run a Dana 30 with 35s or even bigger and are not hard on them and they hold up.
Yes, makes sense. I really am just trying to understand what would be needed to get the D30 set up with the 4.56 gears vs doing a D44 installation. I've ran 33s for 13 years and am due for another set soon so they'll be 33s again.

Trying to see if it's feasible or if it's something I'll live without for now.

Contributor
Will you be doing the gear installation your self?

I’m pretty sure the EB Dana 44 is a direct swap in for the 30 if not super close. If you use the search function it’s been covered a ton.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

No I would need a shop to do it. I don't have the space at the moment....not cool, I know.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

The D44 does sound better so I will start looking.

I'd still like to understand the options for the D30 gear swap though, to compare effort and possible cost.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Yes, makes sense. I really am just trying to understand what would be needed to get the D30 set up with the 4.56 gears vs doing a D44 installation. I've ran 33s for 13 years and am due for another set soon so they'll be 33s again.

Trying to see if it's feasible or if it's something I'll live without for now.
I'm pretty sure that there is a carrier split on the Dana 30 at 3.54 but not 100% sure. Probably should check that.

33's with an AX15 is just right at 4.10 ratio. That's where the TJ Rubicon is geared.

Contributor
No I would need a shop to do it. I don't have the space at the moment....not cool, I know.

You’ll need a ring and pinion with a master install kit most likely. Whatever gear shop you go to will source all of this for you.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

I'm pretty sure that there is a carrier split on the Dana 30 at 3.54 but not 100% sure. Probably should check that.

33's with an AX15 is just right at 4.10 ratio. That's where the TJ Rubicon is geared.
I read that a new carrier would be needed in another thread. So for the D30 would it be the ring and pinion with a new carrier or is there more to it?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I read that a new carrier would be needed in another thread. So for the D30 would it be the ring and pinion with a new carrier or is there more to it?
See the post by @1969 he was 1 minute ahead of you.

You have to be a little bit careful on the D30. I have an extra set of D30 gears in 3.54 that I would give you...but they are from a Jeep Wrangler TJ and the Dana 30 changed in 1997. So watch out when you pick gears. The TJ Dana 30 pinion is a little shorter, and uses a bigger outer pinion bearing. The YJ, and some XJ are high pinion, so watch out for those. And the JK Dana 30 is a crush collar type. So there are a bunch of different D30's

Depending on which year Bronco you have, there are a pair of inner axle seals that are not serviced with the master install kit. I recommend changing them whenever possible. Yours are probably 50 years old...and due.

So yes, new gears, new carrier, master install kit, and a pair of seals. For the price of that...you can pick up a used Bronco D30 already in 3.54 for about $200. But of course it will probably have 50 year old seals and bearings in it too.

If you are near Fremont, CA...I can swap your gears for you. Otherwise, have fun.

eb-nutt1

If you are going to 35's, just go ahead and swap to a 44....still running drums on the 30 or has it been swapped to disc? Parts cost will be basically the same between the 30 and 44 to upgrade gear ratio...will need the same parts ie: ring and pinion, carrier, bearing/shim kit, etc...but, unless the 30 has been upgraded to disc already, I wouldn't spend any money on the 30.

Brian

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

If you are going to 35's, just go ahead and swap to a 44....still running drums on the 30 or has it been swapped to disc? Parts cost will be basically the same between the 30 and 44 to upgrade gear ratio...will need the same parts ie: ring and pinion, carrier, bearing/shim kit, etc...but, unless the 30 has been upgraded to disc already, I wouldn't spend any money on the 30.

Brian
Yes it's been upgraded to disc, which is one reason I was leaning toward keeping the D30.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

See the post by @1969 he was 1 minute ahead of you.

You have to be a little bit careful on the D30. I have an extra set of D30 gears in 3.54 that I would give you...but they are from a Jeep Wrangler TJ and the Dana 30 changed in 1997. So watch out when you pick gears. The TJ Dana 30 pinion is a little shorter, and uses a bigger outer pinion bearing. The YJ, and some XJ are high pinion, so watch out for those. And the JK Dana 30 is a crush collar type. So there are a bunch of different D30's

Depending on which year Bronco you have, there are a pair of inner axle seals that are not serviced with the master install kit. I recommend changing them whenever possible. Yours are probably 50 years old...and due.

So yes, new gears, new carrier, master install kit, and a pair of seals. For the price of that...you can pick up a used Bronco D30 already in 3.54 for about $200. But of course it will probably have 50 year old seals and bearings in it too.

If you are near Fremont, CA...I can swap your gears for you. Otherwise, have fun.
Thanks for the info!

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
If you think you might want to go to a 44 in the future, you might as well go now. You'll have to buy a carrier if you want to go above 3.74 in the D30. If you want a locker, that's more cash. And you'll have to spend all that again if you go to the 44 cuz none of it works in the 30. Not sure, but I don't think there's much of a market for used Dana 30s out there, maybe in the Jeep crowd? I found a D44 housing out of an F150 that I'll cut down to EB size and do all the same upgrades. I'm not sure how that impacts your disc brake conversion. Many have said that the 30 will be fine with larger tires as long as you're not hard on it, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

If you think you might want to go to a 44 in the future, you might as well go now. You'll have to buy a carrier if you want to go above 3.74 in the D30. If you want a locker, that's more cash. And you'll have to spend all that again if you go to the 44 cuz none of it works in the 30. Not sure, but I don't think there's much of a market for used Dana 30s out there, maybe in the Jeep crowd? I found a D44 housing out of an F150 that I'll cut down to EB size and do all the same upgrades. I'm not sure how that impacts your disc brake conversion. Many have said that the 30 will be fine with larger tires as long as you're not hard on it, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
I think I will look for a Dana 44 as it does make sense to do it one time. Although for the most part, I am on the street 90% of the time. The main reason I want to gear down is for a 5 speed with overdrive so it's a little zippier on the highway etc. When I do take it on trails, I do pretty easy stuff as I don't want to wreck it (I have a 2021 that I can get into harder stuff with).

OP
OP
crsman2

crsman2

I guess I'll stop making excuses and just get moving on finding a decent D44. Thanks for the info, now I just need to figure out which type to get.

Contributor
I guess I'll stop making excuses and just get moving on finding a decent D44. Thanks for the info, now I just need to figure out which type to get.

Just find a stock eb 44 to make it easier on your self

eb-nutt1

Definitely just go with a stock eb44 and build it out as you want...I would recommend at the minimum a torsen gear limited slip with cheap chromoly axles if you do light to medium wheeling...buy once and be done