• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock leaf springs from Wild Horses - Pinion angle a mess

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I hate those things! I still would like to see some of the manufacturers actually size the new bushings to fit the shackles WITH the old steel sleeve left in place.
When these rigs were still almost new, someone started making bushings with the assumption that you would press out the old vulcanized rubber bushing module, outer metal sleeve and all. Unfortunately, more often than not nowadays that same outer sleeve has practically welded itself to the shackle with rust.
Makes the whole job hard enough that a pretty high percentage of users actually toss the old shackle and buy new ones!
I guess that's good for our shackle sales, but I'd rather see them sold because someone wants them, or needs stronger ones. Not because a simple poly bushing install goes haywire.

Anyway, probably nobody has asked them to do it yet.

Paul
no one told me I had to remove the old sleeve lol. I vaguely remembered some saying something about them. a sawzal, hammer and chisel worked;D
after I got done, I thought I should of bought an air chisel lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Yeah, it's not that clear usually. They do in fact usually say to remove the sleeve in any instructions, but by the time you're doing it nowadays it doesn't actually look like a sleeve anymore. Visually it's just another part of the shackle eye to most human eyes.

Mine was like that even back in the early eighties! If I hadn't known that the bushings themselves were pressed-in, vulcanized steel sleeved "cartridge" type assemblies, I might have missed it too.
After all, the bushing going back in does not have an outer sleeve. Most probably think they're talking about the inner steel sleeve instead.
Trackbar and leaf spring bushings were the same cartridge affair. Big PITA to get out and put new stock ones in that need a pretty big hydraulic press to work with.

Glad you got it!
I used a hacksaw blade to make multiple notches and then hammer and chisel to dig it all out.
Still a big PITA if you ask me!

Paul

clarrance

Bronco Guru
The last two stock WH spring kits Ive installed have needed shims. The rear also sits at least 2-3" higher in the rear. The last stock kit I installed, I ended up swapping out the stock front coils for 2.5" coils. It sits dead level now.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As often as this has been happening it makes me wonder if the wrong set of dimensional drawings has been marked as being for the stock height rear springs.
Are they making the springs arched for 2.5 inch lift thinking they are making stock no lift height?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I would say they are the correct springs and correct dimensional drawings. Every picture or side shot of any stock bronco i have ever seen is elevated in the rear. This is even in dealership promo pics and magazine ads. I hate the look but it is the way they were designed. My bronco has a 1" block in the rear with stock springs and sits damn near level with the 3.5" of lify i have on the front. My leafs are stock replacement from triangle springs so my assumption is if i had put a stock front spring in and these leafs then i would have had the same issue you are having. Maybe one of the vendors could offer a rear leaf that is the same height as a stock front coil to make a bronco sit level. But remember the rear springs were arched to lift the rear so the payload capacity coukd be met. Im guessing that if your bronco sat level empty then it would severely sit down in the rear or rub on the rear snubbers with some weight in the back.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A nice theory, but you should not need angled shims to correct the pinion angle of replacement stock height springs, just like original stock springs would not need corrected.

If 'stock' springs give the same ride height as 2 1/2 inch lift springs why do those 2 1/2 lift springs exist?
That would make 3 1/2 inch lift springs actually 1 inch lift, 4 1/2 inch lift springs actually 2 inch lift, 5 1/2 inch lift actually 3 inch lift.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
The last two stock WH spring kits Ive installed have needed shims. The rear also sits at least 2-3" higher in the rear. The last stock kit I installed, I ended up swapping out the stock front coils for 2.5" coils. It sits dead level now.

Did you leave the stock size shocks when doing this? I've been contemplating doing this too. I'm on the fence though because what I really want is "stock" height and now I'm compromising on something that should have been what I paid for. I might just end up pulling the third leaf from the pack :mad:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
And can anyone verify what the pinion angle was back when these broncos were new while unloaded? All im saying is ford may have designed the rear so the pinion angle was too steep and designed the springs to sit too high while unloaded. So when it got loaded down it would sit level and pinion angle would be correct. I had a 99 f350 diesel dually 4x4 that had the heavy duty rear end in it. I never checked pinion angles but when it was empty the front tires would wear beautifully. But if you weighted the rear down with say a three car wedge trailer then the front tires would cup really bad. So we had the dront end aligned with 2000lbs of sand in the back and the tires wore perfect after that. The reason i bring this up is a suspension can not be designed to perform equally well when loaded and unloaded. Every joint and bushing will be at different angles once you load one down so ford may have opted to give a steep pinion angle when brand new to accommodate for loaded broncos and broncos with saggy springs after a whike of use.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Wouldn't steep angles from the factory cause drive line vibration and premature u joint wear? Not everyone drives around with these things loaded. I would think Ford engineers designed it to be reliable too.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to consider, aftermarket lift springs are being built for the guy with a full cage, spare 35 inch tire weighing a couple hundred lbs, cooler, tow rescue gear, jack etc.

That said, yeah, I hate that my pinion angle is jacked with a 3.5 lift. Probably around 10 degrees just eyeballing it with no driveshaft in place yet. Not even sure if 6 deg shim is going to correct it. Worse, my traction bar was welded on at current angle.....

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
You have to consider, aftermarket lift springs are being built for the guy with a full cage, spare 35 inch tire weighing a couple hundred lbs, cooler, tow rescue gear, jack etc.

That said, yeah, I hate that my pinion angle is jacked with a 3.5 lift. Probably around 10 degrees just eyeballing it with no driveshaft in place yet. Not even sure if 6 deg shim is going to correct it. Worse, my traction bar was welded on at current angle.....

Good point for lifted rigs, but not for stock height ones being restored. I think you’ll be fine with the 6* degree shims. I had the same ~10* and after the shims it was perfect.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks MP, another "whew" moment. Cause, with 35's on it I now cannot jack it high enough in the garage to drop a leaf shackle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wouldn't steep angles from the factory cause drive line vibration and premature u joint wear?

Yes it would. The wrong angle is the wrong angle, period.
Yes, there is some leeway as there would have to be, due to the suspension being a dynamic thing that moves all around under just basically normal driving conditions. So there is a little slack for the designers. But not much.

I still really don't know why modern lifted rigs need the shims more than they used to. I've lifted mine with add-a-leaves and it did not need a shim. I lifted it with a set of stock type 6-leaf packs at 3.5" and did not need shims.
Not that I drove it very long though, as I took them back off after only a week. I was just not going to put myself through all the discomfort of a crappy ride just to get some lift. So I went back to the stock original springs with an add-a-leaf and a 1" block. No taper on the block either, and still did not need shims.

My '68 with slightly sagged 2.5" rear springs and slightly tapered 1.5" block still needed the 6 degrees shims to get rid of the vibration.

I thought I was being particularly insightful when I noted a few years ago that the thicker spring packs were obviously the culprit, by moving the rear end down farther away from the spring eyes.
That was until someone eve more insightful cam along last year and noted that, if 3.5" of lift is 3.5" of lift, the pinion angle should not care how it's achieved if the springs are equally flat on the bottom and the center pin is in the same relative location in the pack.
True dat...

To that end, does anyone have a stock spring pack they can measure the distance between the front eye and the center pin, then the rear eye and the center pin? This way we can put some more data in the mix to compare to the new springs.

This discussion really has nothing to do with the springs sitting high of course. Just that it's a good place as any to figure out this pinion thing. Maybe it's just as simple as how the axle sits when the springs are clamped to it, with the short arched leaves vs the longer, thicker arched leaf on the bottom of a stock spring pack. Maybe there is some rotation as the u-bolts are torqued.
I don't see it in my mind, but that's why we experiment.

That said, yeah, I hate that my pinion angle is jacked with a 3.5 lift. Probably around 10 degrees just eyeballing it with no driveshaft in place yet. Not even sure if 6 deg shim is going to correct it.

Is it just that you don't like shims? I mean, you should not be leaving a bad pinion angle no matter what the root cause. If it's off, fix it. You can't drive on it that way, and pinion angle issues are as old as lift kits. Which is exactly why lift blocks taller than one inch are all tapered. It's very hard to find a non-tapered lift block because they just don't work in most of the real world.
I don't know if one type of spring is better than another yet, but we should be able to get to the bottom of that hole.
Bottom line though is, don't hate it. Fix it.

Worse, my traction bar was welded on at current angle.....

If you correct the pinion angle though, won't that at least help with the traction-bar brackets? Yes, the lift changes the relative distance between one bracket and the other no matter what, but the angle should improve with any corrective measures for the pinion angle.
I would think anyway. Where are your mounts? I'm sure I've seen the discussion, but want to make sure. Are they on the center of the housing top for a single bar? Or at the ends for two bars?

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just so we're clear here, it's not just WH springs that need to be shimmed. Most EB vendors sell tapered shims of approximately the same angle. And though this particular thread is about our stuff, there are plenty of members here with other brand springs that also needed to re-shim their diff angles.

The reason some don't use shims is they don't need them. The reason some others don't use them is that they don't KNOW that they need them yet.
Plenty of EB's driving around with the owner not knowing that they're experiencing a vibration. Or that, thinking that they feel something, are not sure if it's not just the mud tires they're running on.
Lots of that to go around.

I'm proof of that last concept. I'm a huge adherent to the theory that you should always at least plan to need shims. And then I proceeded to drive around for probably 400-500 miles before I realized that what I was feeling was not the BFG muds, but in fact a bad pinion angle causing a vibration on decel.%)

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
But we keep coming back to WH stock height leaf springs being the only ones reported as needing shims.
None of the other vendors stock height springs have been mentioned as giving 2 to 3 inches of lift, at least none that I have seen.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
But we keep coming back to WH stock height leaf springs being the only ones reported as needing shims.
None of the other vendors stock height springs have been mentioned as giving 2 to 3 inches of lift, at least none that I have seen.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think any other vendors have a “10 Pack” Stock Height Leaf Kit. Maybe the thickness of the leaf pack does matter? I know Paul just summarized that it probably doesn’t, but just wanted to throw that out there.

The reason why I went with WH was because of their 10 pack. I was very satisfied with their 3.5” pack on a previous bronco and I wanted that at the stock height. The 10 pack is kind of a moot point now though. I’ve already taken the smaller leafs out and might have to take the third and maybe fifth out. So what would that be, a 6 pack now haha.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Oh and Paul, I just want to make it clear that I’m not bad mouthing WH in any way. I know you guys are investigating this and will do whatever is best for the customer. That’s what keeps me coming back. Thanks again!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul, I bet the spring arc is different. Anybody lay a stock set over a new/lifted set? You would be hard pressed to see or know a 5 degree change in perch angle looking at springs on the floor I think.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Wouldn't it be better to increase the spring rate a little, making them stiffer for a heavier load make more sense than to make a stock height spring set with the same arch as a 3 inch lift in the hope it will settle?
An unloaded Bronco might ride a little harder that way, but it wouldn't have a stance like an old jacked up muscle car.