• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Zero oil pressure? Ideas?

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
I just got my bronco a couple weeks ago. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets. I replaced a couple fuel lines around the engine because the were extremely clogged up... It has very nasty gas... Draining tank is the next step. After doing all this though I got the timing on the engine halfway right but don't like to run it long because my oil pressure gauge now stays at zero. Engine isn't running great yet since it needs some more tuning... But wanted ideas on what could cause zero oil pressure (or I guess maybe the oil pressure gauge broke when I had the covers pulled off.)

Let me know!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wire going to the sender would be a good first thing to look at.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Does it rattle?
Are you sure your have the oil pump shaft in the oil pump?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Wire going to the sender would be a good first thing to look at.
X2. The small harness for the oil pressure sender, water temp sender and coil normally run down the driver's side of the intake manifold.

Oil pressure sending unit is on driver's side front of the block.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Good ideas.... I will check the wires first thing.

It also does have a small rattle. Sorry newbie question... but is the oil pump shaft the shaft that sticks out of the bottom of the distributor? Thats the only shaft I remember messing with while everything was apart...

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Also... I remember that the PO has a clearish tube running to the oil pressure gauge. I don't remember seeing a wire...

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, the oil pump is driven by the bottom of the distributor.

You may have a "mechanical" oil pump where it actually pushes oil up to the gauge in the cab instead of an electrical gauge running a wire. The sender unit should be down by the mechanical fuel pump. I have burnt my oil hose on the header before, you might check to see if the hose is kinked or melted somewhere along the run.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Yeah it must be a mechanical one... I'll check for burns. How ford that shaft attach to the distributor? I just remember it was shoved in it with no real way to connect it... I'm almost 100% that's it now tho... I bet it fell off the distributor...

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The drive shaft slides up inside the distributor shaft. There is a chance that it could have lifted out of the pump when the distributor was lifted, which can leave it in a non-functioning location or dropped into the pan, or it may not be centered in the distributor drive shaft when reinstalled. Definitely worth popping the dizzy out and checking for sure.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Yeah it was still sticking out of the distributor when I pulled the distributor out... Is it supposed to stay attached to the pump when pulling the dizzy out? Yeah Ill just have to pull the distributor again and figure out how to get everything attached again. Now that I think about it i did hear a funny rattle I couldnt identify so I'm sure that is what happened...

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The oil pump shaft should have had a retainer ring on it ,so when you pull the distributor out it stays in the pump, it sounds like it didn't.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
don't think it had one. Hopefully I can get it in there well enough to get it going again... we'll see.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Without the clip to keep it from pulling up they usually fall into the pan. If that happened you will have to drop the pan to retrieve it. then put it back in place.

OP
OP
G

Grantoser

Loc.
Missouri
Lazy damned PO!:mad:
I hope you didn't run it long.

I know... haha

It actually had good oil pressure until I pulled the distributor and shaft out when doing the intake manifold gaskets... so no I haven't ran it long at all. Should be ok... just a pain to get it connected and going again.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Losing the oil pump driveshaft when you pull the distributor is a pretty common issue when someone freshens up an older Ford.

Hopefully you didn't run it long enough to cause any damage. If you're going to pull the pan, do yourself a favor and replace the oil pump driveshaft and oil pump while you're down there. It's cheap insurance.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I just got my bronco a couple weeks ago. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets. I replaced a couple fuel lines around the engine because the were extremely clogged up... It has very nasty gas... Draining tank is the next step. After doing all this though I got the timing on the engine halfway right but don't like to run it long because my oil pressure gauge now stays at zero. Engine isn't running great yet since it needs some more tuning... But wanted ideas on what could cause zero oil pressure (or I guess maybe the oil pressure gauge broke when I had the covers pulled off.)

Let me know!

Grantoser,

Congrats on your new purchase! The others have given you a lot of good advice / things to look for and I agree with checking all of that... I would also mention that since you had the intake & valve covers off, I assume you probably disconnected the wire harness at the firewall at the rear of the driver side valve cover - if yes, that wire harness contains your oil sending unit wire and temperature gauge sending unit wire. If the connector isn't fully engaged or maybe a broken wire or something of that nature, could cause a problem. Does the water temperature gauge work OK?

You mentioned that you had a clear tube running to your gauge which indicates the PO (or someone) installed an aftermarket "mechanical" oil pressure gauge. Did the factory gauge (in the factory cluster) work also or just the mechanical gauge? If the Bronco only has the mechanical gauge, then it probably doesn't have the oil sending unit and the wiring suggestion I mentioned previously becomes a moot point.

I run 2 oil pressure and 2 water temperature gauges on my Bronco - I added a "T" fitting at the oil extension tube and two sending units (one factory & one aftermarket). I originally installed a mechanical gauge as the second location but it started leaking oil all over my brand new carpet, so I replaced it with an AutoMeter electric oil pressure gauge.

Good luck on finding the issue and keep us posted.

DJs74

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Losing the oil pump driveshaft when you pull the distributor is a pretty common issue when someone freshens up an older Ford.

Hopefully you didn't run it long enough to cause any damage. If you're going to pull the pan, do yourself a favor and replace the oil pump driveshaft and oil pump while you're down there. It's cheap insurance.

NOOO!
It shouldn't be a common issue. The oil pump shaft has to be installed from the bottom. PERIOD!
The other way is just plain irresponsible.