• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why Cover License Plate When Posting Pics?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I notice some people cover or blur their license plate when posting pics of their bronco (mainly on FB). Are they just being over cautious or do they know something I don't? What can a person gain knowing my license plate number?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
l've always wondered that. A person told me ,he does it, so people can't look up where the vehicle lives, to steel it.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I get the idea but find it sort of ammusing when people post pics on facebook with their real name account but then cover the plate too. If I really wanted to and I had a name, a little time spent at the computer could determine the address of said person.

trekgurl

when comes to information exposure., your license tag number is the least of your worries

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
People do not want to expose identity or address for those who can run plates, tax records, property details etc.
But couldn't that same logic apply to each time they park it outside?

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
If a seller covers the plates with their finger or thumb in the pics I immediately lose interest in the vehicle they're selling. I think that's lazy and I'm not buying from a lazy owner of any vehicle. Take the plates off or use photoshop to edit if you're so worried about your personal stuff.

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
But, most of our EBs our out in the open...license exposed!!! Ehh...it doesn't bother me. I still cut the registration sticker on my license plates because I don't want my tags stolen.

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But, most of our EBs our out in the open...license exposed!!! Ehh...it doesn't bother me. I still cut the registration sticker on my license plates because I don't want my tags stolen.

Can you explain how doing that prevents your tags from being stolen? Not debating you, just want to know if this is something I should be aware of. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Can you explain how doing that prevents your tags from being stolen? Not debating you, just want to know if this is something I should be aware of. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a regional language thing. Some states call stickers = tags. Some states call the metal license plates = tags.

Cutting the stickers keeps the stickers from being stolen. (sometimes)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's a regional language thing. Some states call stickers = tags. Some states call the metal license plates = tags.

In my neighborhood in the beautiful Peoples' Republic of Davis there have been several instances where annual stickers have been peeled off cars parked in the street. I had not thought of this previously, but a few slices with a razor blade would instantly make that a lot less interesting. Something cylindrical around 5.56 mm in diameter would probably make such thievery less interesting as well but may not be as well received by neighbors.

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal

Thank you for explaining it. Tag/sticker is just less appealing to steal when it's sliced into pieces, then a whole attached tag. It was a common theft in the 80s. My dad taught me this and it's just a thing that stuck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, same here. Sometimes I get lazy and don’t do it, but most of the time I do.

Specracer

1st off I rarely post any pictures of our collection of vehicles, but if I do, I will blur out the plate. My thought, it cant hurt, less is more. As for FB, I dont use it.