• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who makes (or made) this adjustable drag link?

PDQ

Contributor
Can anyone tell me who makes this version? The PO had it installed on a weird steering box using the rare early 66 pitman arm, and I have swapped in a 4X4X2 box with a standard dropped pitman. Only problem is, the stud on the drag link is too small ('77 version?), as it was sized to fit the small pitman hole and I think I just need to swap out the drag link end to the standard version.
But it now seems like the style of adjustable links is the same amongst the vendors and it's a different style than what I have.

I have it set in the picture but it's just sitting in there.

Anyone?

Attachments

• 20180603_162308.jpg
    20180603_162308.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20180603_162320.jpg
    20180603_162320.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 165

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't remember seeing that style from any of the vendors over the years.

Todd Z.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I remember seeing some like that way back when. Early Duffy or K bar s.. comes to mind. You might be able to go to a napa and see if they have that end with the right taper. Like the old days when you couldn't get what you need with a couple clicks.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could just buy one of the taper adapter sleeves.

OP
OP
P

PDQ

Contributor
BMC, that would be perfect, but I haven't seen any other than those for the spindles on conversion set ups. Any ideas or sources on who may have something like that for the pitman?

Thanks

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an adjustable i need to sell, need to measure it first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like a custom shortened '77 long side to me too. A shim should be available, if not from one of us then at least through one of the custom fab shops maybe.
Perhaps Ruff Stuff has one of those that would fit?

Maybe whoever you bought the pitman arm from would exchange it for the same unit in the '77 size?

You could also measure the thread size to see if buying just one of the upper draglink rod ends for the '75 and earlier arm would work in your sleeve.

Presumably you've already verified first that the one you have will adjust to the proper length with your new box and arm? If so, great.
If not though, you should. Just in case it doesn't you don't want to go to all this trouble only to find out you need a different draglink anyway.

Oh, and you should definitely weld on your trackbar bracket when everything is all dialed in. Just in case you didn't know that already.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should add that I have tested the different sleeves in different positions and found that they will work in non-recommended applications sometimes.
Sorry I can't remember if yours was one of them, but maybe you can get someone at one of the shops (even WH, or whoever is closer to your location) to do a quick check to see if one of the sleeves will fit into the pitman arm and leave a hole the right size for the smaller end.

Worth a shot anyway.

Good luck.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I know that I have seen a tapered sleeve / bushing welded in a pitman arm but have lost track of where.

OP
OP
P

PDQ

Contributor
Paul,
I'll call WH for the shim, but haven't found any yet for the pitman.

I want to just buy the upper draglink rod end but the length of it seems much shorter than the current styles that are offered. Am I off? Or is there an option I'm missing?

You've got me thinking I'm missing something with the measuring. I have centered the box and a non-indexed pitman arm. I have simply shifted the pitman over to meet the previous setting where the wheels point straight. I have some custom welding done where the box mounts directly to the frame, but you're right. I will need the pitman parallel with the length of the truck or it will be wonky when going hard left or right. Correct?
If so, then I need to get a correct length draglink.

When you mention you've tried the different sleeves in different positions, what applications are you referring to?

Does welding the track bar drop make that much difference or is it just a more is better theory?

Thanks to all for the help. It's always one thing that keeps you from putting it back on the road!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BMC, that would be perfect, but I haven't seen any other than those for the spindles on conversion set ups. Any ideas or sources on who may have something like that for the pitman?

Thanks

I assumed it had to be the same sleeve on the pitman arm as fits the F-150 steering arms. Easy to double check the taper size in any event.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want to just buy the upper draglink rod end but the length of it seems much shorter than the current styles that are offered. Am I off? Or is there an option I'm missing?

Too hard to say at this point. With so many potential rod ends out there, added to the possibility that the PO actually cut down and threaded the original upper end, it could be just about anything.
In other words, it could be off the shelf, or it could be totally custom. You'll have to measure the threads to know.
And you might even have to measure the taper to make sure the old pitman arm wasn't reamed out to fit an existing part.
Could be anything at this point.

You've got me thinking I'm missing something with the measuring. I have centered the box and a non-indexed pitman arm. I have simply shifted the pitman over to meet the previous setting where the wheels point straight.

That's ok to do as long as you don't go more than 10 degrees or so. No hard and fast rules for this that I know of. Just can't go too far with one piece, to compensate for another.

I have some custom welding done where the box mounts directly to the frame, but you're right. I will need the pitman parallel with the length of the truck or it will be wonky when going hard left or right. Correct?

Maybe. Or maybe not...
Even Ford used the offset arm in the early years and didn't have any issues turning left or right. That's where I get my 10° number from. The factory had the pitman arms offset 10 degrees to the driver's side with no ill effects.

If so, then I need to get a correct length draglink.

Set this up in your mind as a whole "system" and you won't go wrong.
That does not necessarily mean you have to go out and automatically buy more new parts (though you might!) but need to see what parts go where and why.
And which ones are going to cause you trouble.
If the old system was sized correctly, and used a dropped pitman arm that simply had a smaller hole, then start there.
You can fit your old pitman arm to the new box you know, correct? If so, and it's a dropped pitman arm of the proper length, just re-use the old arm.

The new arm should put things in the same orientation length, so your existing draglink should still work if you can get the proper tapered shim.

So let's start at the arms. Do you really need the new arm? An old arm that fit an old Ford steering box will still fit the new Ford box. If that solves your issue, great.
If not, then you can order a dropped arm with the proper smaller tapered hole for a '77 Bronco. Not exactly the same as an early '66 if I remember, but it's close.

If you prefer to match the rod end to the new pitman arm, that's fine too, but a lot more work unless you just guess and buy a new one.
To me, yours looks like either a modified '77 from a "Y-link" or one of the common GM tie-rod ends used for the "1-ton" upgrades.
Look around here for the three part numbers, take them down to the local parts store and compare them to yours.
Maybe even check out Ruff Stuff's "Y-link" (I think they call it) conversion kits to see if they list the manufacturer's part numbers and see if their pics look close to yours.

When you mention you've tried the different sleeves in different positions, what applications are you referring to?

We have two sleeves, part numbers 2382 and 2388 for non-stock applications, and I meant that I've sat there at my desk with those to parts and tried them in knuckles, pitman arms and have tried to insert different rod-ends into them.
What I don't have is my notes from those tests! So I can't claim to know for sure that one or the other, when inserted into your pitman arm, will fill the gap properly for your new arm to fit your old rod end.

Does welding the track bar drop make that much difference or is it just a more is better theory?

Both.
It is not only a safety factory, but it absolutely makes a difference in how your Bronco will track on the road. Period.
Now, admittedly that was with only one Bronco being driven by myself, more than 30 years ago. But it was such a notable difference that I always tell people do to it.
Besides, it's in the instructions of just about everybody's trackbar drop. They all say (or should all say) to weld the bracket to the frame.
You can bolt it and safely drive it to get it welded, but not doing so will simply not give you the full benefit.

When I did mine it didn't have instructions and I tried to bolt it and go. Drove it that way for about a month (maybe less) but knew right away that something was not right.
I could feel the slight wandering that felt the same exactly as a worn out trackbar bushing. Which I had experienced many times over the years, so knew what that felt like.
Being so tightly bolted to the frame I couldn't imagine how that would have such an effect, but I tested the theory anyway. Even by then I was a big adherent to the test that I've been shouting about as long as I've been in the business. And then after that, when the internet became a thing too. And that's the test with a helper sawing the steering wheel back and forth.
Had one of the mechanics at my shop turn the wheel while I watched the bracket and could not believe how much movement there was. Had them weld it the same day and could tell the difference immediately. Even on normal city streets it was tighter feeling.

So yeah, I'm on the "weld it and forget it" side of the fence. Always.

Paul

OP
OP
P

PDQ

Contributor
BMC, ok, thanks, I'll see if those cross check and see if that may be the easy fix.

Paul, like I said before you are making me rethink this plan and set up in a good way. I was so anxious to get it fixed (more to follow) that I may be going a bit fast on getting it back on the road.

I didn't want to go into the original problem which got me here due to the original issue having so much of a 'wow' factor that it could detract from the original question but once everyone puts their jaw back into place it may help with the end result.

PO made their own P/S setup using an unknown Ford (?) pump and box. For whatever reason they notched the already known weak spot on the frame for the box. I mean really notched. To the point where about 3/4" was left. Thank god they boxed it and used a 1/4" plate to mount the box to. (insert sarcasm) Look at pics and blow minds here.

So first order of business for me is to fix this. Found an AMAZING fab guy locally who came up with, what I think was a hellava solution. He used my old WCB plate and formed that into the frame and then ran a full box over the original frame. Now the 4x4x2 box is 1/4" over flush with the original frame. So while I'm really happy with the fix, how this ties into the original question:

Original setup had the box INSET in the frame by about an inch or more. It used a 66 pitman arm, or at least similar, with a non drop .

New set up has the new box OFFSET the frame by maybe 1/4". So when I happily set the new box in, I used the non indexed, dropped pitman arm to simply line up with the old draglink settings. This in turn set the pitman arm inboard quite a bit which didn't register as maybe not the best until this dialog.

What I'm now learning/ thinking is that I need an adjustable draglink to extend slightly past stock that will allow the pitman to remain about parallel with the frame (or one notch inboard due to the frame reinforcement box plate). First I start with mine to see it will allow for that kind of extension, and if so, continue with the trek to match the current arm to the correct pitman. If not, then a new draglink it is.

Sorry for the long response, but if it helps me get it right then I want to get it all on the table.

Paul, Ok. I'll weld the track bar bracket. Sold.

Any suggestions on getting her on the road are welcomed.

Pics of the original and new mounting attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180106_123958.jpg
    20180106_123958.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180106_124112.jpg
    20180106_124112.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180106_124444.jpg
    20180106_124444.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180603_113305.jpg
    20180603_113305.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180603_113326.jpg
    20180603_113326.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Steering box 6.jpg
    Steering box 6.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 20

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, lots of notch there!
Notching and using the old GM boxes was common back in the day, including on Baja Broncos racing in the desert.
Your guy's solution looks hell-for-stout now. And we know the box is stout now too.

Pretty sure nobody is going to know your exact measurements until you do. Once you get it dialed in and set up the way you want it (straight back down the frame rail) then you can measure for the proper length and see if the off-the-shelf arms (or your existing one) will fit. If not, custom is your middle name!

Gonna be fun though!

Paul