• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which master cylinder for Cheby disc conversion

broncoP

Contributor
I did the chevy/ford disc brake conversion on a dana 30. I used a 76/77 master, my buddy thinks it's the wrong one and he's probably right. Which master should be used

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Nah...It's fine...
You could get a slightly larger bore and it "may" help but go too big and you'll increase your pedal effort.
Stick with what you got Bud.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 1" bore Ford master cylinder should work fine. The only real difference between the Ford an GM calipers is a 1/16" in caliper piston diameter, so the GM calipers have about 3% more piston area. A 1/16" change in MC bore size will equate to about 11% difference in pressure/volume ratio.

If you like a lighter pedal effort with more pedal travel, go with a smaller bore. If you prefer a harder pedal with less pedal travel, use a larger bore MC. If you like your current pedal feel/travel, but wish you had more brake torque, run a higher CoF brake pad compound.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I used a corvette MC. I believe it was from a 1978 or so Vette and I love the feel of the brakes. Astro van Master Cylinder was too sensitive

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Found the normal 1" bore fairly good. Later went to 15/16" bore and liked it better. Of course nothing compares once you go hyroboost.

I fell for the you need a bigger bore maser with disk brakes when I first put the chevy brakes on. Pedal had no stroke and was hard as a rock. Lots of leg pressure needed. It was purely a pressure based system with no travel.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I did the chevy/ford disc brake conversion on a dana 30. I used a 76/77 master, my buddy thinks it's the wrong one and he's probably right. Which master should be used
so your buddy don't like cheby parts on a ford;D but the cheby brakes are not made by gm anyway

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Went through this a while back and found lots of different opinions. Plenty of people used the stock one, I went with one that has a 1 1/16" bore which is just a little bigger than stock and gives a slightly firmer pedal. Its worked great for me so far, can find the part # if you want it.