• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strange master cylinder issue

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’m running a GM style master, disc/drum with hydro-boost. I’ve had this in place for the last 10 years and it has worked flawlessly. We’ll this week I’ve noticed brake fluid leaking from the cap. The reservoir for the rear brake was near empt, while the front reservoir is overflowing. I transferred some fluid back to the rear, but it continues to keep moving fluid to the front. This Is happening internally obviously. I’m going to replace the master, but just curious as to what’s going on. Any thoughts?

Mark

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I have never heard of that before. and I have experience with the GM hydro-boost systems from the 80s and 90s. I would make sure the brake pedal is not hanging down. Good luck

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Hi, I have never heard of that before. and I have experience with the GM hydro-boost systems from the 80s and 90s. I would make sure the brake pedal is not hanging down. Good luck
The brake pedal has always been the same. Very firm, short travel, and returns. The brake lights have never been stuck on.

Mark

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
I think the master is bypassing internally and forcing fluid from the rear to the front reservoir.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Internal seal in the master failing. Leaking between the two in a check valve fashion.
New master needed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do they even sell rebuild kits anymore?
That used to be the normal thing to do when you had one that was otherwise in good condition, and the bore wasn’t rusted or pitted.
When master cylinders were $25, a rebuild kit was 4, or 5.
Same for wheel cylinders. Rebuilding was more common in my circles than replacing.

ksbronco75

Contributor
did you ever get this issue resolved? Im having the exact same issue with a Master cylinder I got from Toms last summer. Part https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/67-75-ford-bronco-drum-brake-master-cylinder . I recently replaced all wheel cylinders, found 2 that were bad and leaking. replaced them all, took it out tonight and same issue. Rear is nearly empty, Front is full. already ruined the paint on my inner fender, so I was hoping you figured it out?

Attachments

• IMG_2547.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 13

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
did you ever get this issue resolved? Im having the exact same issue with a Master cylinder I got from Toms last summer. Part https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/67-75-ford-bronco-drum-brake-master-cylinder . I recently replaced all wheel cylinders, found 2 that were bad and leaking. replaced them all, took it out tonight and same issue. Rear is nearly empty, Front is full. already ruined the paint on my inner fender, so I was hoping you figured it out?
Call Toms and see if they will warranty the master cylinder , it needs to be replaced ....

ksbronco75

Contributor
Spoke with Toms. This one is on me. I ordered the MC for drum brakes for my 75. But since it has a power brake set up on it, it needed the disc brake MC. Did not realize that when i ordered the part. So thats cool

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I did. The master had an internal leak. I replaced it and everything is fine now. Except the cap leaks. I had to assist the bail with large hose clamp.

Mark