• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best small wire feed welder?

ktmrob200

I'm in need of a new welder. I just want a very inexpensive small one to do body panels, door post, and such. What are you guys using?<br> Thanks,

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The best starter welder IMO is a Lincon weld pack 135, costs around 400 bucks

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
You know, I have read posts on this subject throughout my 6 month restoration project. "Buy a Miller........ Get a Lincoln........... Hobart is great". I have with held my comments, mainily because I was a little embarrassed, and quite frankly, never welded before I began this project. but I have to provide my 2 cents worth. I bought a Cambell Hausfeld welder from Wal-Mart. That's right, Cambell Hausfeld. I paid $256 for a MIG 85watt, infinate wire speed adjustment, 4 power setting, and saved enough money to buy my own gas bottle rather than renting. This thing has been great. Did all the floor pans, body seams, spot welding, and the exhaust system. As a matter of fact, had a buddy of mine who is a Certified Welder, come over while I was doing the floor pans. he said it laid a bead better than his truck mounted Miller.

Well there, I said it. Take it for what it's worth.

OP
OP
K

ktmrob200

hey Krusher, don't be embarrassed I'd buy one at a flea market if I thought it would last for 2 EB projects. I looked at that one today, I'm between it and one tractor supply has on sale for $279, comes on a little cart, and includes gloves and welding mask.<br> Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I like something with a gas shield instead of the flux core myself. <br>I would also recomend something with a little more adjustment then high/low. I have worked some 110V welders pretty hard. As long as I have good control of wire speed (infinatly adjustable) I can make one of the 4 or so fixed voltage settings work.<br>If you have 220V in the garage, The 220V welders are definatly a little better. But this becomes a factor of availability. It also keeps your neighbors from borrowing it. When they realize what it take to plug it in, they just bring stuff to you instead. This creates another problem, lack of portability, It can sometimes be hard to plug in at an oddball location.

Broncmeister

The one thing I would suggest is to stick with a North American made welder. If you buy one made overseas you may find yourself in trouble or waiting a long time for parts if it breaks down.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
If all your planning on is body work - I'd stick to the less expensive 110v units. I have a 220v millermatic 210 and love it- but I almost can not get it set low enough to do body work.<br><br>

smorton

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
I have a "chicago electric" and it seems to have a small problem with the wire dispensing motor. When I start to weld it will slow the motor down so I get kind of a jerky wire feed from it. I have thought about putting a capacitor in front of the motor to solve the problem, but if that Cambell and Hausfield works well I might consider getting one (is it 220 or 110?).

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have a lincoln 125plus. It was recomended to me by the iron workers I work around. It's 120 volt and works like a 220v. It was about $800 with the bottle and gauges.

Tenezman

Loc.
Monterey Bay
Anyone have any idea of a good onboard/offboard welder for under the hood or maybe in the back of the bronco...what about the Mobi arcs? Thanks,<br>C

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have a Lincoln Weldpak 100 it's 120v and very portable with the flux core wire. I'll keep it set-up with the fluxcore wire. I also hve a Millermatic 175 that is set-up with gas for the bigger tasks.