• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Makes "Heavy Duty" Bronco weigh more?

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
After doing a bit of poking around, I see that some of the "heavy duty" broncos have a GVW of about 4400 while others have a GVW of about 3800 - a pretty hefty difference.

I know that the heavy duty broncos have bigger rear axles, but is that where the majority of that weight comes from? I've got a 74 ranger, is there an easy way to tell if i have the heavy duty rear axle? Measure the drum?

Thanks,
-H

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
GVW means Gross Vehicle Weight.
It has nothing to do with the weight of the vehicle itself. It's the total weight of the vehicle and its cargo.
That means my 3700 pound Bronco with a 4900 GVW is capable of carrying four 300 pound passengers.

Wouldn't that be a sight!;D

OP
OP
Godwick

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
Well I'll be dipped. Ha! Makes much more sense that way. Plus, I no longer have to worry about shedding the pounds.

Thanks.

Broncomt

The suspension is what makes the difference. Factory I installed beefier springs.

Broncomt

So does that mean once you install a lift with say Deaver 11-pack springs that you have in essence made it a heavy duty Bronco?

No, according to the factory and most laws, what is on the factory tag is what the Bronco will always have. You can do many things to beef up your "capacity", but by law won't change it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also the rear brakes in most years went from 10" to 11" to match the higher weight carring capacity. And the rear axle bearing go from small to large. This was fairly clear in the early years but got more fuzzy in the later years.

Why not standard? That extra unsprung weight hurts ride quality. If the original buyer was going to drive around mostly empty the lighter GVW rating would ride better. Some places also rate/tax on GVWs so the lighter would be the more econimical choice for many.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So does that mean once you install a lift with say Deaver 11-pack springs that you have in essence made it a heavy duty Bronco?

Most aftermarket lift springs reduce the GVW rating of the vehicle per the lift spring manufacturers warnings. I'm sure it's mostly a liability issue for them, but leaf springs are generally a compromise between load capacity, ride quality and flexibility, so when you get into lift springs that still flex, GVW typically goes down. Some 4" custom lift springs from Alcan for my brother's Toyota reduced his bed capacity from 1000# to 500# on paper, but it still seems to handle the weight just fine.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Most aftermarket lift springs reduce the GVW rating of the vehicle per the lift spring manufacturers warnings. I'm sure it's mostly a liability issue for them, but leaf springs are generally a compromise between load capacity, ride quality and flexibility, so when you get into lift springs that still flex, GVW typically goes down. Some 4" custom lift springs from Alcan for my brother's Toyota reduced his bed capacity from 1000# to 500# on paper, but it still seems to handle the weight just fine.

Good point Apogee

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
All of the 4900 GVW Broncos I have seen also had factory limited slips in the rear. I believe the 4300/4400 springs were the same as the 4900 lb springs except the 4900 got this thick overload spring on the bottom of the spring pack. Normal running around it didn't effect ride because it didn't touch the spring pack until really loaded down.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I bought 2 4900 GVW package Broncos new. They had an unattractive extreme nose down stance because all the extra load carrying abillity was in the rear. The springs in the front were too soft/weak to give a balanced ride or attractive stance. I simply installed front coils made for a '78 Bronco raising the front end about 1 1/2" making the stance only about 1" lower in front. Now the truck rides well and handles well with minimum expense. The rear overload leaf works as designed, only engaging when the springs are mostly compressed as Rusty said. If your concerned about the actual weight of your truck, go to a truck stop and weigh it. It's likely less than 3800 lbs.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I have the dealer window sticker on mine and it says 4900. Mine is a '75 Ranger. The ride is about the same as any lighter GVW EB. Mine's nickname is Teddy Roosevelt, AKA-Rough Rider.........