• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Air Lack of Heat Troubleshooting on 5.0 HO

Pechin0351

I may just be losing my dang mind, or I was drinking when I started plumbing this vintage air system. But can someone just help double check my work and maybe give insight as to when the electronic heater valve should move.
I have the pipe coming out of my lower intake manifold (with coolant temp sense) that goes to the firewall, into the electric valve, and into the heater core. Then back out of the heater core, and piped to the lower of the two ports on my water pump. The electric valve has the little arrow pointing towards the heater core if anyone was going to bring it up.
I marked the valve with a sharpie to see if it rotates but my mark never moves. The lines also don't feel like they are getting too hot, but I can burn the shit out of myself on my upper radiator hose... so there is hot liquid moving around.

Conclusion A: I have lost my shit and need to just wait
Conclusion 2: I muddled something up pretty fierce
Conclusion biscuit: I need more beer

I have tried moving my controls between all four vent settings, I have adjusted fan to all speeds, and I have tried rotating my "heat knob" in each direction. Never do see that white plastic rotate on the heater valve.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
have you tried hot wiring or before that whats the voltage to the valve during your switch movements?

Then, have a beer.

OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

Hey, thanks for responding. I checked the voltages with the connector plugged in and things were acting a little funny. I ended up taking the valve apart and found that the grease/dielectric used on the PCB and the contacts on the main gear was hindering the continuity. I cleaned up the dielectric and used something better. Things seem to be working swimmingly now. Wondrous. Time for that beer.
I will say, I contacted Vintage Air to talk to them about this valve, mostly I was asking if I could order a new one, since this was new I did not want to trust it. But, they are sending me a new one for free. Nice people over there.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, I meant beer me:)

I bought two vintage units to frankstein into one, ended up not using either, but their stuff and service were all good.