• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN number help

navi

So I found what I think is the vin number on the frame followed by a star. Is that the vin or a frame id number?
If it's the vin number, it doesn't match the number on the title, which would be an issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's on the front frame horn, and starts with a letter such as "C" or "D" (example: D4TZ-******) then it's the engineering number of the frame.
If it's just below the firewall on the passenger side however, and starts with a U13, U14 or U15, then there's an issue with a mis-match.

Paul

OP
OP
N

navi

If it's on the front frame horn, and starts with a letter such as "C" or "D" (example: D4TZ-******) then it's the engineering number of the frame.
If it's just below the firewall on the passenger side however, and starts with a U13, U14 or U15, then there's an issue with a mis-match.

Paul

If there's an issue with a mis-match what can be done about it?
This is related to a recent purchase from a forum member here, and we just found out about this.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on which state you live in and luck.
Another member went through a nightmare, while others have corrected it fairly simply with their DMV.
But wait for more to chime in on that aspect before you go down the legal path.

Paul

OP
OP
N

navi

Anyone know where the US FMMV sticker or plate would be?
I thought it might be in the engine compartment but can't find it.
That might help if that's not missing maybe the dmv won't ask for the secondary VIN.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
There should be a star at the beginning and the end of the vin numbers on the frame. What's the location of the one you're looking at? Top side of passenger side frame rear of the starter, almost under the passenger floorboard. There's another one rear of that but difficult to see with the body on. Warranty plate is on the driver kick panel on 66 and 67, and on the back of the glove box door 68-77. Door jamb stickers didn't appear until 70' iirc. What year is your bronco?

OP
OP
N

navi

There should be a star at the beginning and the end of the vin numbers on the frame. What's the location of the one you're looking at? Top side of passenger side frame rear of the starter, almost under the passenger floorboard. There's another one rear of that but difficult to see with the body on. Warranty plate is on the driver kick panel on 66 and 67, and on the back of the glove box door 68-77. Door jamb stickers didn't appear until 70' iirc. What year is your bronco?

it's this one - Top side of passenger side frame rear of the starter. I could only see one star.

the FMVSS is the door sticker I think, not something that would be in the engine compartment. I can get that one from marti

the year I suppose remains to be determined. It is in the '71-74 range.

OP
OP
N

navi

Asking some current sellers about vin numbers matching, and most have no clue. Buyer beware, as is always the case.

Timstrk

If buying a Bronco the only two #s that need to match are the title and the frame. The rest don't matter.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
What do you guys do out east? Rusty frames. Vin on frame. California frames don’t seem to have much rust. Fortunately my vins matched the title.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you swap your frame, pretty much in any state you're supposed to get it re-registered to match. Same if you purchase a new frame with no serial number. The state DMV will often create a new VIN that is your new identification moving forward.
Whether they go to the trouble or not, depends on where you live.

Not sure what happens when you don't match the warranty plate in the glovebox or the certification label on the door jam ('69-ish or '70 and newer) and someone checks because some DMV inspectors will only look where you show them, or where the numbers are easy to find, then argue that those can't be a legit VIN because it's too short.
Then you get to go through that rigamarole too. Don't know what they'd do if it didn't match, but you'd probably have to jump through a hoop or two and speak to just the right person at the DMV office to get it cleared up.
And hope that the body was not stolen!

Some states are more detailed than others, so some are less hassle too.
And there are a lot more details than I know. Some members are really versed in this so listen to what they say whenever they pipe in.

Paul

OP
OP
N

navi

Depends on which state you live in and luck.
Another member went through a nightmare, while others have corrected it fairly simply with their DMV.
But wait for more to chime in on that aspect before you go down the legal path.

Paul

Did you find out what happened with the nightmare guy?
If he was able to resolve the situation , it would be good to know how.

OP
OP
N

navi

If you swap your frame, pretty much in any state you're supposed to get it re-registered to match. Same if you purchase a new frame with no serial number. The state DMV will often create a new VIN that is your new identification moving forward.
Whether they go to the trouble or not, depends on where you live.

Not sure what happens when you don't match the warranty plate in the glovebox or the certification label on the door jam ('69-ish or '70 and newer) and someone checks because some DMV inspectors will only look where you show them, or where the numbers are easy to find, then argue that those can't be a legit VIN because it's too short.
Then you get to go through that rigamarole too. Don't know what they'd do if it didn't match, but you'd probably have to jump through a hoop or two and speak to just the right person at the DMV office to get it cleared up.
And hope that the body was not stolen!

Some states are more detailed than others, so some are less hassle too.
And there are a lot more details than I know. Some members are really versed in this so listen to what they say whenever they pipe in.

Paul

I'm in CA like you, so you know the hassle is real.
The vins don't come up as stolen on the link above. The CHP will probably do a more thorough search if I end up having to do an official inspection.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The nightmare turned out great. Better than some could expect I imagine, as the help of a friendly cop turned the tide if I remember. About ten years go now maybe?

The project was finished with a ton of money put into it before registering. As soon as he took it in to register and it came up stolen, he almost lost it all.
Due to a lot of hard work (and almost a year if I remember?) and the fact that the insurance had paid off originally, and the old owner did not dispute it I don't think, the result was he got the Bronco back with a clear title. Maybe a salvage? No, I don't remember that as part of the story.
But it did work out. Plenty of white hairs showed up from that one though!

Paul
Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't remember if you said, but does the title match the glove box at least?

Paul

OP
OP
N

navi

The nightmare turned out great. Better than some could expect I imagine, as the help of a friendly cop turned the tide if I remember. About ten years go now maybe?

The project was finished with a ton of money put into it before registering. As soon as he took it in to register and it came up stolen, he almost lost it all.
Due to a lot of hard work (and almost a year if I remember?) and the fact that the insurance had paid off originally, and the old owner did not dispute it I don't think, the result was he got the Bronco back with a clear title. Maybe a salvage? No, I don't remember that as part of the story.
But it did work out. Plenty of white hairs showed up from that one though!

Paul
Paul

thanks for the info, that is great for him, glad to hear it.

I wonder how they decide what year the bronco should be titled as if there's two vins. ?:?
I do have police contacts in PA where the vehicle was from. If things look more sketchy I might ask for help.
That's better than lawyers,
I think no one wants to deal with lawyers.

OP
OP
N

navi

I don't remember if you said, but does the title match the glove box at least?

Paul

The title matches the glove box tag. It could have been one of those ebay sales of a glove box + title.

The seller has every service record going back to their purchase, so I've asked them also for info on the previous seller so I can ask about the frame.
The title says "PA Brand" on it so I think I can find out more...