• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum brake booster push rod help

th3fourn

Not a mechanic trying to be
Hey guys,
I need help of the two push rods I need for the brake booster. I have one that goes from the brake pedal to the bracket but the one that connects to the master cylinder and goes through the booster I can’t find. Can you guys let me know what I need and even links would be amazing.

Thank you

Brett

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You’re looking to replace the rod entirely? If so then that’s a nonstarter and you’re likely never to find a rod by itself.
You can’t replace it as far as I know, short of completely rebuilding the booster itself because if I’m not mistaken, the rod and rubber diaphragm are one item.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and what’s wrong with those rods that they need to be replaced?
Not sure about the bracket rod, or pedal rod, but if the booster rod needs replacing then you might as well get an entire new booster assembly.

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

So I kept the old power brake booster, I bought a new master cylinder and it didn’t come with a rod but as far as I know the rod goes to that then through the brake booster then connects to the bracket

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

Oh, and what’s wrong with those rods that they need to be replaced?
Not sure about the bracket rod, or pedal rod, but if the booster rod needs replacing then you might as well get an entire new booster assembly.
The rod when I took the car apart has gone missing, We have changed every nut and bolt in the whole tear down so I either tossed or misplaced the rod from the original

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

You’re looking to replace the rod entirely? If so then that’s a nonstarter and you’re likely never to find a rod by itself.
You can’t replace it as far as I know, short of completely rebuilding the booster itself because if I’m not mistaken, the rod and rubber diaphragm are one item.
Also this is the only thing i found online that is what I need but from my understanding there should be a fork attachment for the rod to attach to the bracket?

https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/67-75...MIk76I_YfM9gIV9T6tBh0oLwRkEAQYASABEgLz-vD_BwE

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rod that you linked to from Toms is for a manual brake setup. The ring end is at the pedal with the brake light switch, and the ball end with lock ring is to snap directly into the back of the master cylinder.
So this is only for use with a direct to master cylinder pedal rod. Unless they have different ones but are only showing a picture of the manual brake rod.

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

The rod that you linked to from Toms is for a manual brake setup. The ring end is at the pedal with the brake light switch, and the ball end with lock ring is to snap directly into the back of the master cylinder.
So this is only for use with a direct to master cylinder pedal rod. Unless they have different ones but are only showing a picture of the manual brake rod.
Gotchya, so I would need the rod that goes from the back of the master cylinder to the attatchment bracket, I cant seem to find one that has the forks in it

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your bronco? Is this an original factory Ford booster and bracket setup? Or could it be aftermarket?

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

Also I have front
What year is your bronco? Is this an original factory Ford booster and bracket setup? Or could it be aftermarket?
It is a 1974 bronco, it has front disc and rear drums. Pretty sure that was stock

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. Disc brakes were not installed until the 76 model year. And even though I’m not 100% sure, I’m fairly certain the power booster was not installed until the same year.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And even though it doesn’t pertain to what you’re doing at this point, it wouldn’t hurt to determine whether you have the Ford or the GM style disc brake set up. If you’re not sure then the next time you get a chance take a picture of one of the calipers and we can tell you whether it’s Ford or GM-based.

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

And even though it doesn’t pertain to what you’re doing at this point, it wouldn’t hurt to determine whether you have the Ford or the GM style disc brake set up. If you’re not sure then the next time you get a chance take a picture of one of the calipers and we can tell you whether it’s Ford or GM-based.
Will do thanks for all the help. Just trying to re assemble and this missing rod has been a pain in the butt haha

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

Hey so the brakes are Ford style disc setup, they have FORD stamped on the side of them. I will try and get some pictures over but for some reason I cant upload pictures from my Iphone to this.

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

engine1.jpg
This is a picture I found on another thread and in the back left corner the silver rod going to the right (to the vaccuum and master cylinder) This is what im looking for

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s why I mentioned either becoming a contributor, or using the “garage” and “gallery” functions in your user CP. Or whatever it’s called now with the new format.
Contributor status is $12 a year and lets you post an image directly to your discussion. The garage and gallery are limited functions but do allow you to upload images for free that we can then click on your name and then drill down a little bit to find them

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

Upgraded! Thanks for the info. So back to the problem I’m an idiot to start off here’s some pictures and the missing hole from the vacuum to the master cylinder is what I need.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not seeing it yet. After you use the attach Files button, are you then clicking on the little preview panel and saying upload? It should ask you if you want to use it as a thumbnail or full image or some wording to that effect.