• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unknown tailgate screw holes

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Hello all,
My 66 had the tailgate and grill replaced with later OE parts. They're Wimbledon white, but under the tailgate latch it's green... no matter. When I located some OEM anti-theft latches i went looking for the dimples to indicate where to drill the holes, and at both top corners of my tailgate are these holes. they're exactly symmetrical on both sides, and judging from photographs and the shape of my anti-theft latches, these are not the holes where i would screw in the latches. What are these holes for? Once again, i appear to be very poor at searching threads. Tailgate screw holes, tailgate holes, holes in tailgate, screw holes in tailgate, The holes closest to the edge might be for the 66 version of the anti-theft latch, but i have the later latches that have the bump that would fit into the hollow portion of the tailgate stamping. But... they're holes in the tailgate, not dimples. Any guesses?
Very grateful for the help and expertise of this forum. thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!
chris

Attachments

• IMG_7152.jpg
    IMG_7152.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
66CTBronco

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Those look like the dimples for the brackets that support the spare tire... pictures I've seen show the anti-theft brackets right next to the location where your drains are indicated...? When i got the spare tire and mounting kit i did find dimples there and that's where i mounted the tire brackets. Thanks Oldtimer!!
c
1669398846825.png