• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trutrack vs Air Locker vs Detroit for rear

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It looks to me like differential locking devices can have a certain amount of "bragging rights" involved. You wouldn't believe how many lockers go onto rigs that will never see more than a dirt road.
To properly select the right type, you need to know the type of terrain you'll be on most of the time.
Most of us don't drive trails as much as we think. The easy answer we often hear is 10% trail and 90% street driving. But that means if we drive the car 5000 miles a year, then 500 will be trails. That's a ridiculous amount of trails!
To me, there's nothing shameful about having limited slip, or even an open rear end if that's what's appropriate.
Some sort of selectable locker would be best, but not always in the budget. In light of that, I think less is better when it comes to things like this.

In this thread, there are also some mentioning their traction devices in the front. Here again you'll really need to decide the weather and use you'll be driving in.
A front traction device would work well in deep sand/dirt, and on boulders. However, I can tell you that if you plan to use 4WD on a snowy street or highway, it's useless. In fact it's almost impossible to make a turn. With the hubs locked, you'll have this problem even the the transfer case shifted to 2WD. For this reason, an open front is best unless yours is a trail only rig.

Nothing Special

Even if only 0.1% of your miles are off-road, if you can't make it that 5 miles out of 5000 due to poor traction, they you might as well not have the truck. So even if you only have a use for a traction aiding diff a small amount of the time, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have one. That said, since the vast majority of the miles will be on the street, it better work well there too. The thing is, TrueTracs work great on the street and automatic lockers work pretty well there too (I have over 150,000 miles combined on three different trucks with automatic lockers in the rear, with the vast majority of those miles on the road).

In fact, in my experience an automatic locker has far better manners on snowy roads than a factory limited slip. I've fishtailed an automatic locker a few times but overall it's not hard to get the hang of driving one. And the only two times in my 39 years of winter driving that I've spun into a ditch are from a factory limited slip that has to scuff tires even when when coasting around a turn. An open diff is most stable in snow, with a TrueTrac second. But I'd put an automatic locker third with a clutch-type limited slip a distant fourth.

I also had an automatic locker in the front axle of a truck for 1 Minnesota winter. It wasn't terrible to turn. Definitely bad, but I could have lived with that. But I couldn't keep it going straight on snowy highways. Twice the violent torque steer pulled it into the next lane before I could react. I quit using 4WD on highways for the rest of that winter and pulled the locker out the next spring.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
No offense please, but...

I'm a firm believer in "less is not better"...meaning that if you want to use your rig in more extreme terrain some day down the road (years maybe), you have to go thru the expense of "upgrading twice"... usually at close to 3x the initial expense due to prices going up and labor rates...

Look ahead, as you never know what your life with your Bronco might bring in the future... I remember arguing against long travel soft spring suspension systems for Broncos back in the early to mid '90's...how was I going to pack both kids, the 12' alum. boat on top, the 10HP engine on top, fishing and camping gear for 3 weeks with the tent trailer on the back!! No way would I swap to some "rollie-pollie" suspension that couldn't handle my camping/fishing trips!! This was our life back then!!

Now it's no-where close to stock with ORI's, 24 forward gears, extended WB... you get the pic...

Good luck, do what you want as it's YOUR rig..

Wish ya the best...Merry Christmas all...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I think it helps to have a clear idea of how the vehicle is going to be used before starting any mods. If the use is kinda open-ended then over-build isn't a bad strategy. It could save you some blood, sweat, & $$$.

OTOH if you have a pretty good idea of how the vehicle will be used in the foreseeable future then over-building it will result in a set of compromises that may not fit the need. Building a Bronco to do the Rubicon, Hammers, or similar when the OP lives in FL and will keep the EB there isn't really the right approach unless the owner plans to take the Bronco to those trails to run them.

Beware the "snowball-itis" as that usually leads to a truck that you didn't want.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I think it helps to have a clear idea of how the vehicle is going to be used before starting any mods. If the use is kinda open-ended then over-build isn't a bad strategy. It could save you some blood, sweat, & $$$.

OTOH if you have a pretty good idea of how the vehicle will be used in the foreseeable future then over-building it will result in a set of compromises that may not fit the need. Building a Bronco to do the Rubicon, Hammers, or similar when the OP lives in FL and will keep the EB there isn't really the right approach unless the owner plans to take the Bronco to those trails to run them.

Beware the "snowball-itis" as that usually leads to a truck that you didn't want.
I totally agree. This is why I just went with the TruTrack. Just some backroads and a mud hole every now and then. I have a friend that does rock climbing (few hundred miles away) and he is all about the Air Locker..'you can't go wrong' he says. But in the long run, my EB is a daily driver that I will do some trail riding on it ever now and then. These same trails I had no problems with my original limited slip. So Im thinking the TrueTrack will be a good upgrade.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I had a response all typed out to TS's reply but thought, naw, he covered it... but I'll type up a different one...

I was not in any way doing anything other mentioning that he should clearly look at any/all options in the future... didn't mention FW, stretching the WB, dual cases, 16" travel suspension...none of that...just do as GOOD a look into the future as you can to see if you might be regretting not going with the "next step" so you don't have to re-do it all over again...

that was it.

I've got a dozen buddies that have been "re-doing" their build over the decades as their "intended usage" for their Bronco has shifted during the decades...

that's all.

Good luck, have fun!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I had a response all typed out to TS's reply but thought, naw, he covered it... but I'll type up a different one...

I was not in any way doing anything other mentioning that he should clearly look at any/all options in the future... didn't mention FW, stretching the WB, dual cases, 16" travel suspension...none of that...just do as GOOD a look into the future as you can to see if you might be regretting not going with the "next step" so you don't have to re-do it all over again...

that was it.

I've got a dozen buddies that have been "re-doing" their build over the decades as their "intended usage" for their Bronco has shifted during the decades...

that's all.

Good luck, have fun!

I never thought you did. mine has changed a couple of times, keep getting bigger and more rockable upgrades;D
when I am done wheeling the piss out of it, easy to go back to more streetable if needed. also since it's not a dd doesn't really matter about the weather. I don't get out on the roads with all the idiots out there no matter what vehicle, another thing location might be different for me, pretty sure it wouldn't be in a short wheelbase vehicle anyway unless it's to go have fun:cool:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks Skiddy... I'm always concerned someone is reading something else into my post that wasn't intended but ...