• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble removing the locking hubs on a dana 44 - Solved

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
;DI'm having trouble removing both front hubs. It seems to be similar problems on each hub. I've pulled the outer plate, the 2 locking rings, and the actuating mechanism. But I can't get the clutch to come off.

Using small screw drivers I can push the back plate to make a gap between the clutch plates then get something between them to pull. I've pulled pretty hard and feel no evidence of it giving.

I think the outer splines are slightly malformed near the ends. I found one thread here that talked about drilling and tapping the clutch, then filing the splines. That seems pretty harsh. Any better ideas?

It's part# 1A028 in the diagram

http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/lockinghubsF100(3Kaxle).jpg

lockinghubsF100(3Kaxle).jpg

Here's a video trying to show the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwUBPZLCiQ

[youtube]QgwUBPZLCiQ[/youtube]

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Maybe just spray the splines down with some brake cleaner. It only takes one small piece of junk to keep it from sliding off.

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Viperwolf1 said:
Maybe just spray the splines down with some brake cleaner. It only takes one small piece of junk to keep it from sliding off.

I did, but maybe I'll give it another go and really clean with a brass brush.

there is another snap ring inside.378392-s QQ81 in the pic.did you get it out?

Yes. In the video you can see that the snap ring and the clutch mechanism is out (1A051 and 1A053)

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have had some pretty stuck ones before. PB Blaster and a brass bristle brush usually got enough crud out to get them out. I have also soaked them with blaster and worked them like Deuce Bigalow does a plunger and eventually they came out.

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have had some pretty stuck ones before. PB Blaster and a brass bristle brush usually got enough crud out to get them out. I have also soaked them with blaster and worked them like Deuce Bigalow does a plunger and eventually they came out.

What did you use to pull on them? I've tried bending finish nails but they're just too soft.

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Reach behind and slide a tire tool into the axle shaft at the u-joint and move it in and out several times. Might have to do this while your holding out on the lockout. Push the axle shaft out as far as you can and push the lockout in as far as you can at the same time. This will expose as much of the splines as possible see if there is a burr on one of them and file it off then it should slide off.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What did you use to pull on them? I've tried bending finish nails but they're just too soft.

I have some specialty tools for when I rebuild big refrigeration compressors. Looks like a 90 degree pick(a big L) but bigger. Have also used small pick sets. The plunger method i just used a big screwdriver to push down and let the spring return it. Just did it really fast for about 30 seconds and they popped off. You can also blast the crud out with brake cleaner and more pbblaster. You will need to repack your bearings aflerward though.

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Yup, it felt great for about 30 minutes. Now I'm trying to get the spindles off the knuckles. Everything I read just says PB Blaster and BFH.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If they've never been off it will take alot to get them off, be careful not to mess up the threads on the end. You can buy a puller for them or you can make your own if you have the extra parts laying around. I made my own and have used the crap out of it. Good luck and be careful. Spindles aren't cheap to replace.
frenchy

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
If they've never been off it will take alot to get them off, be careful not to mess up the threads on the end. You can buy a puller for them or you can make your own if you have the extra parts laying around. I made my own and have used the crap out of it. Good luck and be careful. Spindles aren't cheap to replace.
frenchy

Thanks for the advice.

Driver's side showed a gap just as soon as I whacked it with a rubber mallet. I then used a chisel to wedge in the gap and hit the other side. It walked itself right out in about 3 minutes.

Passenger side took allot of PB Blaster, then some heat (just warmed the knuckle for about 1 minute with a soldering torch). More PB blaster (let it sit another hour), but still nothing.

I put the 2 spindle retaining bolts back on, then used 2lb sledge with a 2x6 chunk to soften the blows left and right. About 5 hits and a crack showed. Then back to the wedge and the rubber mallet and walked it right out.

Now to finish putting in my spartan locker!!!