• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny swap help please? New AX15 to AOD tranny ...

Rfire

I've completed a ground up rebuild of a '66 EB. I used a late model 302 built new motor built by a reputable engine builder. I did the complete AX15 5 spd OD behind it with the Advance Adapters kit. It's all done, works perfectly.

I have a potential buyer but he wants an automatic swapped in it. He called the engine builder and they said that the engine needs to be re- balanced!

I am NOT a Ford guy by nature. I've built lots of Chevy's, up to 1700 hp dyno'd 632's for my Top Dragster so not familiar with the tech side of Fords really.

Is this correct ?? Its a 50oz Ext balanced motor. Surely its just a swap to a balanced flexplate, converter and then a tranny?

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks guys!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are ways around doing a full engine rebalance. You could find a good balance shop and have them measure the flexplate and balance the new flywheel to match. That is if the engine was a custom balance. Maybe an off the shelf flywheel will work. But not knowing how the engine was balanced I can't fully answer that.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Is this correct ?? Its a 50oz Ext balanced motor.
I would check with your engine builder to make sure. The 50oz balance would be right in a later model 302 (after '82 I think).
Surely its just a swap to a balanced flexplate, converter and then a tranny?
Pretty sure it's just the flex-plate that you need to have balanced the same as the flywheel you're swapping out with.

OP
OP
R

Rfire

Thanks guys! Thats what I was thinking. I'll find a good balance shop that can match the flex plate to the flywheel's balance. Sorry, didn't mean to say that the converter etc had to be balanced too. Thank yall for your input!

bmbm

Converting from auto to manual the machine shop balanced the flywheel to the flexplate for me.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Uhhh, the mustang and Explorer are both 50oz external balance and AOD was an option, but regardless I don;t understand what the engine balance has to do with what it’s connected to. I’m on vaca and brain off to might be a “duh” thing, but I don’t think so.

Btw, I just installed my AOD on my 50oz balanced engine. Before the AOD I had a C4 on it. Doesn’t matter,

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
And if you ever needed some strange balance cause you couldn’t find a flexplate to match, when I did my Mustang 5.0/C4 in 1998 I took my stock flywheel to a machine shop and had them balance it to 50oz.

OP
OP
R

Rfire

Uhhh, the mustang and Explorer are both 50oz external balance and AOD was an option, but regardless I don;t understand what the engine balance has to do with what it’s connected to. I’m on vaca and brain off to might be a “duh” thing, but I don’t think so.

Btw, I just installed my AOD on my 50oz balanced engine. Before the AOD I had a C4 on it. Doesn’t matter,
Thats how I feel. As long as the engine is balanced, who cares what you put behind it.... however... it does have the 50 oz flywheel on it now so I jsut figured it would just have to switch to a similar flex plate...and then bolt whatever AOD on it he wants.