• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom’s OFFROAD soft top install questions

Tags

Loc.
Connecticut
I recently purchased a soft top from TBP (TO) to install on my 77 early bronco. I was just wondering if it’s actually made by Tom’s or if it’s another manufacturer and if anyone has any tips or tricks for the install? TIA.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I’m pretty sure it’s a Best Top or Rampage. There a lot of threads on install. Most make small tabs so you don’t have to drill the door post. You’re going to have the garage and top warm to help with stretching it.

gick70

It's a Toms box outside with a rampage box inside,I just ordered a new one,that was on Black Friday special.

OP
OP
T

Tags

Loc.
Connecticut
Thanks so much for the info. I also bought my top from the Black Friday sale as well, hadn’t opened the box yet or I could have answered my own question for the most part. I was going to start installing it today, have it in a warmer-than-outside garage. Thanks again for the quick replies.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Warmer than outside. Can you get the garage to at least 70? If not, you might have to do a little extra warming of the top before you do the final installation. Maybe even bring it in the house for a while or sit it in the sun if you happen to have a sunny day.

OP
OP
T

Tags

Loc.
Connecticut
I can run the heat up to get it to 55- 60 if needed when it’s time to get the actual top on. I’m I. The northeast and the garage gets used infrequently, so we’ve been keeping the heat down to save on the ridiculous cost of heating oil now

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might work with the rail design, but with the old snap type tops you really needed to do it warm or the top just would not reach.
And no, I'm not exaggerating one bit. At least in the old days the material was at least three full inches short of being able to attach until you had it fully warmed up.

Maybe someone who's done one of the modern styles in recent years can comment on the temperature thing.

Paul

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
The issue with the newer model top is that the tensioner bar is (almost) impossible to lock when cold. One trick, if you are heat challenged, is to get the top 'almost on' and run the heater for a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tags

Loc.
Connecticut
Thanks for the advice, I can definitely see how I’ll need the heat to get the top to stretch, I will update when I get started on it. Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I actually had to resort to a plug-in heater for mine.
Got it mostly installed, covered the whole thing with a big tarp, brought out the 110 V space heater and plugged it in inside the truck.
Went off to work and when I came home that evening I was able to attach the top at all points.
Ended up being a really great drum tight install, but took the extra effort.
Hence, the usual recommendation to bring the top indoors for 24 hours before trying to install it. Or that hoped for sunny day sitting in the sunshine.