• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom's Bronco Parts is now TOMS OFFROAD (We can explain)

OP
OP
tomsoffroad76

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Sorry you guys have to deal with this and shame on Ford. I too have been a customer of Toms for about 30 years. While Toms staff have always been knowledgeable, and extremely customer service oriented I will attest that in recent years your knowledge, experience and willingness to explore new product development and bring offroad support to the next level is spectacular.

That's much appreciated and glad to hear our work is coming through to you as the end user. Thanks for the support over the years.

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Shame on you Ford. You're better than this. Quit letting the Ford attorney's run the business. You are alienating the very people who would buy your product.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ford would have garnered so much more good will by grandfathering in those businesses with Bronco in their business name prior to (let's say) 2020 than they'll gain by this draconian move.

Pretty lame when under the guise of protecting your copyright you shoot yourself in the foot

That's for damn sure....

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
My spidey sense tells me that with their re-found interest in the Bronco, this is just the beginning of some unfortunate things. I recall reading somewhere that there was a discussion among certain manufacturers of law suits preventing customers from altering their vehicles because owning one of their vehicles did not give you the right to alter their product, or some such mental hoop-jumping as that. I believe it was the software or something, but same result.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Maybe if Ford spent less time henpecking mom & pop shops about the word Bronco and got their production shit squared away (isn't their job to produce vehicles) which they can't seem to do for years of this nonsense...I still haven't got my $100 reservation fee back after cancelling...yeah blame that on covid also you hacks.

RM70

Contributor
And I forgot: What the heck are they going to do with that Classic Broncos.com?

Nothing will happen to it, just like nothing happened to mustangforums.com when Ford went after people using the mustang name.

DC_Gearhead

It’s probably more about keeping the “Bronco” name out of future business names than getting it out of Tom’s. I wish they grandfathered Tom’s and anything older than 15 years or so. Or strike up some kind of partnership to legally justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Ford would have garnered so much more good will by grandfathering in those businesses with Bronco in their business name prior to (let's say) 2020 than they'll gain by this draconian move.

Pretty lame when under the guise of protecting your copyright you shoot yourself in the foot

Well; see; right there...what you did...that's good ole fashioned common sense. Common sense does not go around at the Ford Motor Company. They did not shoot themselves in the foot, they cut their wrists.

IF I was in charge of PR of Ford...I would have rallied with the Vendors and turned it into major events and more Bronco recognition. Look at the heritage, the torch that was carried and we can bet good money that these folks will support the Bronco revival with aftermarket parts as well for years to come, just like they did with the original.

Bronco is not Harley life or Jeep life. Ford thinks it can sell shirts like Harley.

I've always scratched my head at how easy and how supportive GM is with upgrades to modern engines in classic Chevrolets. No really, we want you to easily fit a modern engine in a classic and show the world that the old Chevy can EASILY be powered with modern technology with a simply swap. NOT FORD. Here you can go to Blueprint to keep yours running...or hack your inner fenders.

I've been in old Broncos since 1993. Owned and operated since '96.

I'm serious with wanting to part. It makes my skin crawl to be in something that I don't believe in or support.

Plus...what manufacture touts a vehicle that can't seem to make it to the streets. HD offered the Pan America and suddenly I see people buying them. Indian says hey, there's a new Chief...and only four months of advertisement it's on the streets. Triumph with a Speed Twin and suddenly it's available. Ford with the new Bronco (not phony sport) CRICKETS. You can drive some prototypes for the next year as we hopefully figure out how to make this work. People advertising the Bronco with open mouths like it's orgasmic...give me a break. Release the rig...let's see how it does against the Wrangler...you know the Jeep that never left the fight?

Nope! Too busy going after regular small businesses like a school yard bully stealing lunch money.

TNcowboy

You're spot on with your assessment of Ford; from thier rollout to the bully tactics. However I'm not about to dump the first Generation remuda because the current totalitarians have the morals of cold-blooded reptiles....after all, my first Bronco was the friend that introduced me to my wife decades ago.

I'll continue to drive and enjoy the original that will going strong when these new recycled beer cans and plastic bags are rotting in a Pick-a-Part. In so doing I'll continue to support the vendors and community that kept the Bronco name alive....Ford can hunt the sunset

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Through the years we have seen countless threads about what happened to company x,y or z. Eventually someone gives what information they know, then the rumor mill starts.

Thank you for stepping up and getting the information out to your current and potential customer. This is what a company that cares about it's customers should be doing.

X2 thanks for putting the lid on the pot before it could get stirred :) Mucho respect to Toms and Mr. Garrett not only for this classy act, but for keeping our old Broncos on the road all these years, keeping this invaluable business going and keeping it LOCAL!

Maybe just me but i've noticed lately the availability of more American made products when shopping online. In my heart i want to believe that this past year has taught us that we can once again design and manufacture our own products, and maybe I'm just dreamin' ...but thanks for keeping my dream(s) alive ;D

1970 Palmer

It's not the first, or the last time this issue has played out.

Large company PR firms, and legal departments do not understand the brand vintage cult culture. Instead of aligning and joining the culture movement they think they are missing out on all of the T-Shirt sales revenue.

Volkswagen did exactly the same thing several years ago to the Vintage Air Cooled VW industry. After not supporting the vintage hobby with factory replacement parts for many years, they went after all of the hobby vendors that had VW, or used BUG in their DBA for trade mark infringement.

It's not financially possible to fight when your a small company against a large company with unlimited resources. So all of the vendors made their name changes, and the loyal vintage owners became alienated from their VW brand.

In the end, the companies heavy handed enforcement of their Trade Mark killed all of the connection to the brands vintage connection. It did not end well.

Ford will succeed in defending their Trade mark, and during the process loose many of their brand loyal potential customers for a new Bronco should it ever be released.

John

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Wow, I never knew that about VW, but I certainly could see a strong following for the classic beetles and other air cooled vehicles.

"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it". SWC

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
Maybe a letter writing campaign?

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126

I'm going to send a letter politely pointing out the stupidity of all of this.