• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips on Removing Dana 20 Front Bearing From Front Input Shaft?

ILikeBond

Been tearing down my Dana 20, and am kind of stuck. I was able to remove the front output shaft rear bearing using a 3-claw puller borrowed from AutoZone, but it destroyed it. I assume this is normal...?

IMAG3658.jpg IMAG3659.jpg IMAG3663.jpg IMAG3665.jpg IMAG3666.jpg IMAG3667.jpg

Anyway, I'm stuck on the front bearing. Any tips for removing this bad boy?

IMAG3669.jpg IMAG3672.jpg

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry don't remember for sure but isn't there a snap ring holding it in
I could be totally wrong. It's been awhile

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You hooked on the cage, not the race. That will destroy the bearings.
I recall one of those bearings was a pain, but it has been many years since I got that far into a D20.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
To get the front bearing off just press the shaft out the rear of the case. It's a J case so it shouldn't have a snap ring. The rear bearing can be pressed off using the sliding gear.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
To get the front bearing off just press the shaft out the rear of the case. It's a J case so it shouldn't have a snap ring. The rear bearing can be pressed off using the sliding gear.

Yep use the case, if it's a T then remove the snap ring first. I just did one of each, it's pretty straight forward, I just lay the case in my press and press the shaft out but you can use a non-marring dowl of some sort and a mallet if you don't have a press.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
OK, I was banging it with a dowel and dead mallet and it wasn't really moving, but I wasn't trying my hardest b/c I wasn't sure that was right after reading the teardown write-up on Pirate. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-low20/index3.html

I'll try that.. thanks!

FYI that is a jeep D20, they are different beasts, there are a lot of similarities but also some differences. One easy way to tell the difference is look at the inspection cover, on the Jeep one the cover does not go all the way across the bottom on the Bronco one it does.

galen1970b

Might want to check anyway for a snapring....I cracked a case trying to press one out. Like everyone said it should press through the casd.
e2egy5e4.jpg
a3e4a4u3.jpg
e2unu6u5.jpg

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

FYI that is a jeep D20, they are different beasts, there are a lot of similarities but also some differences. One easy way to tell the difference is look at the inspection cover, on the Jeep one the cover does not go all the way across the bottom on the Bronco one it does.

That's an interesting comment b/c I'm relatively sure (but who can be 100% sure about these things) that this is original to my Bronco.

Viperwolf once pointed out something interesting about the transfer case's serial number... maybe this is related. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221436&highlight=dana

(I had sold it, but bought it back after I decided to use it)

Perplexed. ?:?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
When I rebuilt my Dana 20,I was able to pull most every thing out the side of the case, and did the other shaft and bearing the way Viperwolf1 said. The hardest part for me was the set screws in the shifting forks.

Attachments

• rebuilt transfercase 004.jpg
    rebuilt transfercase 004.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 007 (2).jpg
    007 (2).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 33

galen1970b

When I rebuilt my Dana 20,I was able to pull most every thing out the side of the case, and did the other shaft and bearing the way Viperwolf1 said. The hardest part for me was the set screws in the shifting forks.
I used a pair of vice grips clamped to a long allen wrench...and some red loctite.